Really quick question about PLY Vs Solid on stringers

Friscoboater

Captain
Ok I need to some help fast I am about to do my side stringers which are at the tallest 6 inches, but the stringer is 12 feet long. My main stringers are 3/4 ply and they step so I did not have to make a joint.

Can I just get a 12' piece of pine or birch solid shelf wood from Hd for those two outside stringers? My Glastron came with pine solid wood from the factory, but I seem to remember reading that was not a good idea.

HELP? Need to move forward

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Really quick question about PLY Vs Solid on stringers

Hi Guys:

Although I don't feel too qualified to answer, in my opinion you should be fine. Assuming you will be completely encapsulating the lumber and it will be dry. My boat has a solid teak stringer running the length of the boat and plywood side stringers so I guess they're very similar. I hope this helps.

kilowatts

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No, but you can use Douglas Fir. It is used all the time by the Wood boat builders. The resin the wood makes is very water resistant. When you put glass on it it will outlast you for sure. Go for it Jay!!

Friscoboater

Captain

Do you know if HD carries Douglas fur?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Ok I need to some help fast I am about to do my side stringers which are at the tallest 6 inches, but the stringer is 12 feet long. My main stringers are 3/4 ply and they step so I did not have to make a joint.

Can I just get a 12' piece of pine or birch solid shelf wood from Hd for those two outside stringers? My Glastron came with pine solid wood from the factory, but I seem to remember reading that was not a good idea.

HELP? Need to move forward

I would say that as long as your glassing them in it should be fine for what your doing it for.

Not all restos need to be bullet proof and outlive you :) .

But done correctly I see no problem with this for the short or the long run.

Its not unsafe if thats what your asking..not for you or a potential buyer.

YD.

Friscoboater

Captain

I would say that as long as your glassing them in it should be fine for what your doing it for.

Not all restos need to be bullet proof and outlive you :) .

But done correctly I see no problem with this for the short or the long run.

Its not unsafe if thats what your asking..not for you or a potential buyer.

YD.

Thanks a ton for the input.