Reaganisms worth repeating

aspeck

Staff member
"Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose." - Ronald Reagan<br /><br />"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan<br /><br /> <br />"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan<br /> <br />"Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong." - Ronald Reagan<br /><br />"I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandment's would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress." - Ronald Reagan<br /><br />"The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination." - Ronald Reagan<br /><br />"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other." - Ronald Reagan<br /><br />"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan<br /> <br />"The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program." - Ronald Reagan<br /> <br />"I've laid down the law, though, to everyone from now on about anything that happens: no matter what time it is, wake me, even if it's in the middle of a Cabinet meeting." - Ronald Reagan<br /><br />"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan<br /><br />"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan<br /><br />"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book." - Ronald Reagan<br /><br />"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. - Ronald Reagan

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Reaganisms worth repeating

Ronnie always had me at:<br /><br />"My fellow Americans..."<br /><br />As an 8 year old, I actually watched him when he came on every channel to give a speech!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Great Communicator.<br /><br />Comparable to Will Rogers.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Oh aspeck, he was just an actor! :rolleyes: <br /><br />Mark my words, over the squirming bodies of liberals, history will judge him at the top of the heap of Western Politicos. I miss him greatly.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

He had good hair.... (there.. I said something nice) :p

TilliamWe

Banned

very good snapper, he did have good hair. :p <br /><br />I miss Ron every day. At least I can drive just 20 minutes & visit the museum at Eureka College. It's free, by the way, donation accepted. So if you're ever in Peoria or Bloomington, IL it's just down the road!

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan<br /><br /><br />All politicians will take your money and screw ya, the difference is one party will do ya from the front and the other will do ya from the back, that way they will catch ya coming and going.<br /><br />Ronald Reagan was one of the best presidents in this country's history, he was a likable man with good humor and the right kind of determination to defeat the scurge of communism.

D

DJ

He was a good and decent man too.<br /><br />He is sorely missed by this American.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Ronald Reagan: a man without a selfish agenda.<br /><br />He & Mrs T are the reason the US & UK are such good allies.<br /><br />I had the feelling that the world was a better place when he was US president.

Link

Rear Admiral

I dont know this to be a "FACT" but I did read somewhere that he had so much respect for the job he held as President that he would never enter the oval office without a coat and tie on.<br />He is missed by this one.

D

DJ

I dont know this to be a "FACT" but I did read somewhere that he had so much respect for the job he held as President that he would never enter the oval office without a coat and tie on.<br />
That is DEFINETELY true.

Stratosfied

Ensign

As I read those quotes, I could hear him in my mind. A fine American, and truly the Leader of the Free world. He is missed.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Politics is just like show business. You have a hell of an opening, you coast for awhile, you have a hell of a closing."<br /><br />"Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his."<br /> :D :D :D

PW2

Commander

I didn't always agree with his policies, but I do give him high marks for his ability to turn a phrase, and work a crowd. He was a true statesman, and statesmanship is important.<br /><br />And he came in during pretty rough economic times and he did manage to get the country turned around in the right direction. In my mind he was not so much an idealogue, as some would have you believe, and more of a pragmatist. Which is ok by me, even if I happened to disagree with some individual decisions.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Unfortunate there are few like this man available to fill the position. Things were comfortable under the Reagan Administration.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Such wisdom from a Republican. Too bad the current Republican party can't understand what he evidently understood. That as a politician you have a great responsibility to the PEOPLE of the United States, not to your own best interests (remember Schaivo?). And the Dems, please don't start on that. We have precious too few 1's & 0's in cyberspace for that debate. And I am not saying that they better.<br /><br />I never really liked his policies as I understood them as a young teenager. "Trickle Down Economics," yeah, make the elite wealtier and after the pig has had time to gorge, he may give some to the little guy. The flood comes in on top, with opportunities aplenty, as it trickles down the lower classes get little or nothing. But he did have a sense of responsibility, I have to respect him for that. Too bad baby bush didn't learn from him. I mean, Reagan took responsibility for whatever happened in the military, because he was Commander In Chief. Baby bush refused to accept any knowledge or responsibility for prisoner abuse in Iraq. Shame on him. Any good manager knows exactly what's going on at all times and is responsible for all actions of his/her subordinates. Unfortunatly baby bush didn't learn that point of integrity. But then again, today is a different world from Reagans world

D

DJ

DLM wrote:<br /><br />
Baby bush refused to accept any knowledge or responsibility for prisoner abuse in Iraq. Shame on him.
What a load of C$%^.<br /><br />If that's abuse, let's talk about: The Baatan Death March, Japanese abuse of Chinese, The Holocaust, The North Vietnamese, "cleansing". If you can ignore all that, you are one sick and misinformed puppy.<br /><br />I think John McCain (no fan here) would punch you square in the nose, for you calling that "abuse".<br /><br />Shame on you-read up on history.<br /><br />I will fight, to the death, for you to trash this country anyway you want. Will you do the same? I doubt it.<br /><br />You don't know what "integrity" is.<br /><br />Here's a clue. It is NOT what you're "feelings/party" think it is.<br /><br />It is doing the right thing when it is unpopular and nobody is looking.

PW2

Commander

Talk about moral relativism! That somehow the fact that other coutries have behaved worse than us somehow modify's our responsibility??<br /><br />That is truly disgusting.