Re-Wiring the dash. Wire gauge/type question

Edko

Petty Officer 1st Class
Decided to pull all the old guages and replace with shiny new Teleflex ones. Since I am doing this, I figured I would just go ahead and rewire everything since the boat is 20 years old.

Question, can I use something like this? And is 14/2 gauge acceptable to use?

http://www.iboats.com/14-2-Flat-Dup...8924393--**********.049638140--view_id.165804

I realize I will need some separate wire for the grounds. Will get single wire for that in the same gauge.

Also, There is no fuse box on this tub. I assume that would probably be a better option. If I go that route, what gauge would the single wire from the box be to the back of the tub?

Thanks in advance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Re-Wiring the dash. Wire gauge/type question

16 gauge wire is more than adequate for instrument wiring. Duplex wire is also rather inconvenient for instrument wiring. Look at the stickies at the very top of this forum for a "generic wiring diagram". From it you will see why duplex would be rather unhandy. Yes, installation of a fuse panel is highly recommended rather than using a bunch of in-line fuses. The number of accessories you have and the current draw of each will determine what gauge wire you need to run from the battery to the fuse panel. Typically that will be 10 gauge and there should be a 20 or 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker within six inches of the battery. Also be aware that the instruments are powered from the "A" (accessory) terminal on the ignition switch -- not from the fuse panel. If you wired them to the fuse panel you would need a separate switch to turn them on and off. Wired to the ignition switch means they become active only when the key is on. They don't need a fuse either since the ignition switch wiring is protected by the fuse at the engine.

Edko

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Re-Wiring the dash. Wire gauge/type question

Thanks Silvertip. That was thoroughly informative. Appreciate your time replying.