Re-sealing Volvo drives and Pinion bearing housing reconstruction

gregstukey

Seaman
When re-sealing a drive, is it necessary to pull the whole drive apart and re seal even the bearing seals? or is it just a few critical locations that must be addressed (and where might they be on a Volvo sx drive?)

Also, I have a customers pinion bearing housing that siezed in the pivot housing actually severing the pinion bearing housing at the 4 bolt holes upon drive removal.

Can I rebuild the pinion bearing housing using the old input gear shaft? Should I use what I can from the old set-up or build new from scratch? If i do rebuild from scratch can I at least re-use the input gear to avoid having to change the other corresponding gears?

and I have to do this x2 on a neglected salt water chris craft with Volvo SX drives.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re-sealing Volvo drives and Pinion bearing housing reconstruction

When re-sealing a drive, is it necessary to pull the whole drive apart and re seal even the bearing seals? or is it just a few critical locations that must be addressed (and where might they be on a Volvo sx drive?)

That depends on where it's leaking. If you don't know where it's leaking at, how do you know it needs resealed? Could be water in the bellows caused water to get into the drive. But without a pressure and vacuum check, you're just guessing.

Can I rebuild the pinion bearing housing using the old input gear shaft?
That depends on the condition of the shaft, nothing else

If i do rebuild from scratch can I at least re-use the input gear to avoid having to change the other corresponding gears?
No, you MUST replace the gears as a set, and unless you have the special tools, you might as well forget trying to rebuild an SX drive and expect it to last.

Also, I have a customers .......................

Are you rebuilding an SX drive for a customer???? And you don't know what you are doing??? WOW!!!!!

gregstukey

Seaman

"Are you rebuilding an SX drive for a customer???? And you don't know what you are doing??? WOW!!!!!"

I'm learning. I was asked to study what to do and my boss will steer/coach me through it. I have the necessary Volvo tools etc. I'm simply researching in as many areas as I can the right way to approach this. I knew this site was a great resource and thats why I asked. There questions the manuals overlook sometimes. I'm sorry if you feel I'm unqualified to learn. But I really dont care. Its saddening that a sincere query can be mocked by a moderator like that in what seems like a very positive community.

chiefalen

Captain

Everyone had to have a first drive to rebuild.

Were not born having 5-6 drives rebuilt under our belt.

That being said, have you done other drives?

That sx is the same as a cobra.

You do any cobras?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I am really glad you are not working on MY drive.....

chiefalen

Captain

We need to encourage the youngins.

My friends soon to be son in law finished a welding class.

Bought and learned how to operate a 4 cylinder welding machine.

He just gave me back a prop i swear looks like brand new and on the water works perfect.

We have to encourage and guide the younger guys.

Do they make mistakes?

Of course they do.

But you guys never made a mistake in your life, ever.

The way i see it: took courage to go online and ask for help. Never easy to ask for help.

What we not gonna a offer it in return.

Keep asking, some of us here will try to help you best as we can.

Don S

I'm learning. I was asked to study what to do and my boss will steer/coach me through it. I have the necessary Volvo tools etc. I'm simply researching in as many areas as I can the right way to approach this.

Something you failed to mention in your previous post.

That sx is the same as a cobra.
The SX is NOTHING like a Cobra drive.
I'm sorry if you feel I'm unqualified to learn. But I really dont care. Its saddening that a sincere query can be mocked by a moderator like that in what seems like a very positive community

Has nothing to do with being a moderator. "My Mechanic did this or said that" is something I hear a lot of, and usually results in some backyard mechanic trying to do something he isn't equiped to do.
I learned to rebuild drives at a Volvo dealership, and then went to school on it. My "Boss/Coach gave me all kinds of information and training and one on one instruction. But to go to a forum where some don't know the difference between a SX and a regular Cobra and expect real answers isn't the best way to do training. Have you thought about asking your boss/coach for advise?

gregstukey

Seaman

He has been over my shoulder the whole time. My "homework" for the weekend was to research the process and way I can then come back on Monday to discuss.

Don S

My "homework" for the weekend was to research the process and way I can then come back on Monday to discuss.

I have no problems with learning. Or what you are doing. But you never mentioned what you were doing. Only that it had to do with a "Customers" drive.
There have been several "Newbe marine mechanics" that have tried to use forums as their troubleshooting, repair source and probably failed miserably as they usually didn't have a clue what they were doing on boats, and just trying to do some side work since they were automotive mechanics.

Chiefalen.
Best not to take one old post that never had a reply and put all your money on the information in it.
OMC in their infinite wisdom, named 3 completely different drives the King Cobra, but only 1 was a Cobra. That was a dog clutch Cobra drive and has absolutely nothing in common with the SX style. Except for the look from the outside.