Re-riveted leak (structual)

barryll

Seaman
Re-riveted leak (structual)

1997 Starcraft Fishmaster 190

I found 14 leaky rivets last spring, drilled them out, sealed with 3M5200 fast cure, and re-riveted. Rivets used were 3/16" aluminum eyelet, coated steel mandrel, blind rivets and used a pnematic gun for the pull. Just floated the boat (still strapped to the trailer) to look for leaks and found 6 of the repaired rivets were leaking again. The good news is I thought I had a crack in the apoxy down the keel but I hope its just rivets. The bad news is what did I do wrong. Should I have went with a 1/4" ? You can see the rivets I repaired running down the left side of the picture. Any theories out there?

Thanks in advance,
Barry

Attachments

• IMG_0045 resize.jpg
    IMG_0045 resize.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Re-riveted leak (structual)

I think a liberal dosing of Gluv-it (gotta love -it) would have taken care of this.

Love the starcrafts, BTW!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I agree w/kev gluvit get the small container and do bot sides inside and outside of the leaking area. Gluvit under the hull will last since it will not be exposed to UV. :)

barryll

Seaman

Thanks guys :D, I think that sounds like a winner. I'm going out to soak the bottom floor with bilge cleaner and a couple of other cleaning tips from another thread. People seem to really like that simple green. Where is a good place to buy the magic elixir (Gluvit, that is)?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Or you can order it from iboats here.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Or you can order it from iboats here.

Now its MY turn to agree with Bob_VT..lol

Support that which supports you...I dont think any marine store (no names, BW, WM) have such a forum of vast experience in which to guide you through your projects..Not to mention the commaradiere that goes along with this interaction with your fellow boaters...The mod's Don S, Bond-O, Tashasdaddy (many many others that I haven't named) All lend their chosen expertise to this site out of a kinship to help their fellow boaters, no matter what level they come in at..Me? I didn't know jack-diddly-do...The more I read, the more I am in awe of these guys...

Ok.you can take away the soapbox now...lol

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I did a search before I made my post. Could not find Gluv-it (or even anything with Gluv). Otherwise I would have linked to it.

Is my search-fu weak today?

barryll

Seaman

Thanks for the replies.

I'm getting the sense that don't drill and re-rivet just prep and apply the Gluvit?

For the ones that have used it - what is the ideal temp to appy it and do I just prep the area inside and out?

barryll

Seaman

Now its MY turn to agree with Bob_VT..lol

Support that which supports you...I dont think any marine store (no names, BW, WM) have such a forum of vast experience in which to guide you through your projects..Not to mention the commaradiere that goes along with this interaction with your fellow boaters...The mod's Don S, Bond-O, Tashasdaddy (many many others that I haven't named) All lend their chosen expertise to this site out of a kinship to help their fellow boaters, no matter what level they come in at..Me? I didn't know jack-diddly-do...The more I read, the more I am in awe of these guys...

Ok.you can take away the soapbox now...lol

Why take it away when you speak the truth. I'm with you or worst - when I think I know jack-diddly-do - the membership here is much more versed in the marine world. Made me think I should be a mod of some sort of Industrial Tinsmith forum somewhere, passing on my expertise. Thanks for the reply and I will look for a couple more soapboxes to give you to help support the cause.

reelfishin

Captain

Any time I have to re-rivet, I use the OEM style rivets, they look factory and if done correctly, they will be as leak proof as the factory rivets. I sometimes add a dab of 5200 to the rivet if the aluminum is suspect or if the hole isn't really tight. Otherwise I just buck the rivets tight, and coat the inside of the hull below the waterline with Gluvit. With most boats here being in saltwater at least some of the time, Gluvit is a good precaution. As is a good salt neutralizer like Salt X or similar.

I now own 7 aluminum boats, none leak so much as a drop. I keep spare rivets around just in case, I probably have enough spare rivets around to build a complete boat but have rarely needed them. I've used more of them adding accessories or doing transom replacements than anything else.

barryll

Seaman

Any time I have to re-rivet, I use the OEM style rivets, they look factory and if done correctly, they will be as leak proof as the factory rivets. I sometimes add a dab of 5200 to the rivet if the aluminum is suspect or if the hole isn't really tight. Otherwise I just buck the rivets tight, and coat the inside of the hull below the waterline with Gluvit. With most boats here being in saltwater at least some of the time, Gluvit is a good precaution. As is a good salt neutralizer like Salt X or similar.

I now own 7 aluminum boats, none leak so much as a drop. I keep spare rivets around just in case, I probably have enough spare rivets around to build a complete boat but have rarely needed them. I've used more of them adding accessories or doing transom replacements than anything else.

Sorry for the late response, but the daughter and granddaughter were up from SC this week. Everything takes a backseat when the little cutie (11 months) is in town.

The plan is to buck the current rivets, the one's I can get to, and try the Gluvit in the areas that I can't get to on the inside.

Thank's to all for your reply's. I'm not splashing the boat until late April, waiting for some decent temps. Got lots of other work to do in the mean time.