Re-installing outdrive

sjm32157

Seaman
We bought our boat last year and it worked fine (Mercruiser GenII 4.3LX). I figured I would do the annual maintenance routine before using it this year. Pulled the outdrive and it came off with almost no effort. Gimbal looks and turns like new. U-joints also look new. Alignment is good, bar bottoms out easily without applying much force. I replaced the impeller and reassembled the drive. I tried to reinstall the drive and it refuses to go into the drive housing. Drive fork is lined up. Everything is greased. Any advice?

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Re: Re-installing outdrive

Drive fork? Do you mean the shift shaft? Do you have it in forward gear? And the shift shoe in forward position so they line up? I put mine on tonight an alot of times it sticks just before the threads show through the bolt holes, the o-rings on the shaft the spline might be off a hair, I give it one kick and shwoop right in.

buzzm19

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have read a lot about how hard it is to re-install the lower unit after a water pump change. Everyone gets up to about an inch and it won't go any farther, I needed to do my water pumps also, since I bought this boat last spring and it needed a lot of work. I ran into the same problem, and have two outdrives. In the evening I am mostly alone and now stuck with holding the lower unit and can't get it to go in. I thought about it a lot, so I put bungi cords on the bottom of the outdrive to give it some pressure pulling up. I could not get the outdrive to go in, so I had an idea--- , I got into the boat and turned the crank clockwise, I no sooner started started turning about an eighth and heard a pop,got down and looked in it went. I did the second one and the same thing in it popped. Try it you will be surprised how simple it makes the job. Buz

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

I'd recommend you turn the propeller by hand rather than tap the starter to get the drive on. Tapping the starter could cause some teeth sheering on the drive if things didn't line up properly. I do like the idea of using bungy cords for a little pressure on the drive. Good luck. Hy

familyguy

Seaman

turn the propeller by hand rather than tap the starter

I don't think he meant tap the starter, I think he just meant he turned the crankshaft pulley, at least I hope so.

...make sure the drive is forward gear (not in neutral) and turn the prop like littlebookworm mentioned while trying to fully seat the outdrive in place.

sjm32157

Seaman

I have the gear selector in forward. I tried to turn the prop shaft (by hand) counterclockwise but it wouldn't budge. I may try turning the crankshaft pully (by hand) and see if that works. I've seen many posts on the forums about how hard it is to get the drive installed. Now I know. To make the frustration even greater, I was moving the boat closer to the garage and I blew a brake line on my Durango. It was time to put all of the tools away and call it quits for the evening. Thanks for the replies and info.

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same with me, turned the prop and it started going in but it stopped about 2" from going all the way in and wouldn't budge after that. Well, not sure if I'm gonna get yelled at for this, but we took a 10 lb. sledge and a piece of 2x6 and LIGHTLY tapped the back of the drive, persuaded it to move in another inch, then it went right in the last inch by hand. Not sure why it holds up at that point but it sounds like it happens alot? This was my first time so I might've had too much grease on the spline and not enough on the o-rings... Sorry to hear about your brake line!:(

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

is good, bar bottoms out easily without applying much force.
Define much force. You should be able to move it in and out of the coupler by using 2 fingers.

How close is it to being all the way in?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Sometimes it goes right in and sometimes it does not.When it does not go right on I turn the prop with both hands and hit the back of the drive with my shoulder at the same time.that usually gets it in.I would never hit the drive with anything unless you are turning the prop at the same time to encourage the splines to line up.Otherwise you are forcing something that is not lined up and that is never a good thing..You would be better off pulling the drive back and turning the drive shaft so that it is lined up differently and giving it another go.Charlie

sjm32157

Seaman

I pushed my alignment bar in with my thumb and pulled it out with thumb and index finger. I coated the end with C-2-4 grease and it came out with uniform spline marks. I spun the motor mount nuts a few turns each way and checked it. Not much difference so I set it back to where it was originally. My first time doing alignment so I watched the videos that Don had provided links for.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If everything is lined up - it is probably just the oring on the drive shaft -- be sure to put a light coat of grease on the oring -- when it gets tight, simply apply your size 11 boot (a 10 or 12 is fine too. A size 9 may need some additional help. ;) A size 13 and up :eek: - be careful!). After getting the oring by the gimbal bearing it should go on the rest of the way with no problem.

familyguy

Seaman

I pushed my alignment bar in with my thumb and pulled it out with thumb and index finger....I spun the motor mount nuts a few turns each way and checked it. Not much difference so I set it back to where it was originally.

Umm...if it aligned properly, why did you turn the mount nuts? Right after you're sure it's aligned properly, make sure the motor mounts are cinched tight because if you mess with the bottom adjustment nuts it may throw it out of alignment. Check it, if good, tighten up the top nut & lock washer...then Don S recommends turning the crankshaft a 1/4 turn, then checking alignment again, and doing this 1/4 turn 2 more times for extra measure...never messing with the adjustment mount nuts as long as your in alignment.

I agree with fishermark, the hangup is probably the drive shaft o rings getting hung up on the gimbal bearing. If you can't turn the prop shaft back the drive off just a smidge and try turning it again. It may not be turning because your drive shaft splines are actually seated properly in your coupler at the back of the engine, which is a good thing...just may need to push it on all the way.

buzzm19

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I wasn't clear on turning the crank, half inch ratchet 5/8 deep well socket center bolt on front of crankshaft turn clockwise a little and done. If you think about it being in forward if you turn the prop witch will only turn in reverse, what are you doing? Turning the motor backwards and also turning the water pump backwards, chances are you won't flip the impeller ears, but then again since everything is assembled do you really know? Buz

familyguy

Seaman

Your right buzzm19, it can be done either way. Unless you have a bungee setup like you described (which wasn't that bad an idea), you need 2 people to do it your way. If you are by yourself, turning the prop is probably easier. I think the idea is to turn the prop just enough to get the splines to line up, not turn it so much you are actually turning the engine crankshaft backwards.

If your prop makes the boat go forward by turning clockwise (righthanded prop), switch the lever on the outdrive in the position it would be as if the the boat was moving forward, then after alignment push the drive into place and at the same time SLOWLY turn the prop counterclockwise until the splines line up, then stop turning.

sjm32157

Seaman

I finally had time to work on the boat last night. The outdrive went on without a hitch. My previous attempts were without the prop installed and that just doesn't work. Need the prop for leverage to spin it counterclockwise. I was working "solo" so the bungee trick mentioned above sounds like a good idea. I have a steel crossbeam in the garage that I could connect to with a come-a-long. Might make it easier. Thanks to all that offered info and advice.