Re-Gasket a 454 engine

dsarazen

Cadet
I have a 1979 26' AMF/Slickcraft cruiser powered by a 454 GM and a straight shaft. We pulled the trans out to rebuild and when the motor was up a few inches, the jack fell out and the motor dropped. Now when I run the boat at 3000 rpm, oil is comming out at the timing chain cover. I've been told that the gasket just cracked - old. I'm thinking about re-gasketing the entire motor. Any thoughts? The motor runs great other than leaking oil.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Re-Gasket a 454 engine

Hi Fullsail, by re-gasketing I assume you mean pulling the heads and pan and replacing all the gaskets, :confused: unless they leak I wouldn't, personally I don't fix things that aren't broken, :eek: but that's my 2 cents worth.

Len_Rice

Cadet

Hello. Chevrolets' oil pan is supported by the block rails and the timing cover. It's certainly possible that by dinging the oil pan the timing cover got warped on its dowels..., no big deal, but if all else is well, I'd pull the timing cover and check it for flatness..., better yet put on a chrome Moroso unit (new cam while you're there??? If the compression test and oil pressure are OK, might be something to think about). I once dented a brand new 8 quart Moroso pan on a brand new 440 by letting the cherry-picker down too fast..., OUCH! Anyway, I'd do the repair, if for nothing else, a tidy bilge.

dsarazen

Cadet

Thanks for the input, but as it turns out my motor is shot. I'm going with a reman 454 for about $2500 out the door.