Re-Floor older Pontoon Boat with Vinyl/Linoleum

LawnOrnament

Recruit
I just bought an older, 24 foot 1997 pontoon boat yesterday on Craigslist and need some advice since I have never owned one before but know a lot about boats. The carpet is junk but the marine plywood underneath looks like it is in very good shape.

My questions are the following:
1. Assuming I go with vinyl/linoleum, can I get this at Home Depot or do I need to get it at one of the pontoon accessory websites that has marine vinyl flooring?
2. Any suggestions on prepping the marine plywood and what glue I should use?
3. Any pontoon websites that you can recommend for flooring and accessories that has good prices?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am somewhat cost sensitive.

Thanks!

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
From what I've heard some home hardware stores actually carry marine vinyl flooring in some parts of the country. I'm guessing if you can find it at a hardware store it's only likely to come in a 6' width. You'll need the 8' width stuff for your pontoon. Check with your local dealer to see if they have a supplier see if they can get it for you maybe they can get it w/o you having to pay shipping on something 8.4' long. Where ever you decide to get it make sure it's marine.
  • ? Textured surface for slip resistance
  • ? Designed with UV stabilizers
  • ? Resist fading
  • ? Repels water and moisture, preventing deck rot
  • ? Designed for sport and leisure watercraft

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would most certainly make certain that when whatever you install will not be slippery when wet. That could be iffy. JMHO!

Rickochet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Slippery is the key word. Even Marideck which is vinyl marine floor covering is slick when wet. I would just opt for a carpet. I have had both and recommend carpet. In either case make sure that the glue you use is compatible with whatever treatment in in/on the wooden deck.

Last edited:

Rickochet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I forgot to add that Cabelas has a non skid roll on coating called Tuff Coat. I haven't used it but a friend has and he really likes it. Make sure that you use an appropriate primer compatible with the Tuff Coat and your deck.

Last edited by a moderator: