Re-doing vinyl, electrical issues and etc

cin3000

Cadet
I am going to reupholster the seats on my older pontoon. I've researched other threads on here but have also looked online for information. I found that alot of people use V69 thread but have also read that V92 lasts longer. I will be using a cheaper Brother sewing machine I got from Walmart and want to make sure it will handle V92. Any thoughts?

I posted last year about some electrical issues that I have. None of my gauges work and a friend of mine checked all the grounds. I plan on replacing all the fuses even though they look good. Any other suggestions?

Has anyone used a super siphon to get gas in their pontoon? I'm considering purchasing one because our tank is hard to reach with a gas can and it's a pain to pull up to the gas station near our house.

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Re-doing vinyl, electrical issues and etc

Don't know if this will help.....They make portable gas containers that look like a small gas pump. It has wheels and comes in different gallon sizes.... 20 gallon 30 gallon or some such.....They are somewhat pricey. I've seen them on boat sites. Don't know if they employ gravity or pressure but they have a hose on them for dispensing fuel.

If you use a truck with a bed liner you must be very careful as they create a static charge and things go boom.....

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

V69 and V92 is Nylon thread. For use in the marine environment you want to use Polyester thread.
I just changed the fuse panel on our pontoon this past winter. I had had issues with power and it was the original 1999 panel. Found an exact replacement and have no power issues anymore except my trim gauge no longer works. Related I'm not sure yet.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The gauges are powered from a harness to the motor with the exception of back lighting.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

That $14 deal is for a two pack. I have one and it works great. I buy all my fuel in 5 gallon cans. (about all I can handle) Just sit it higher than the receiver, Jig it a couple of times and it done. Most auto parts stores carry them.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Super Siphon is awesome, definitely worth the money, and it is not all that much money either, I have one for the boat for long outings since I have a built in tank, and a second for the riding tractor in the shed since that is hard to fill as well. I have used them for 2 years and have had no issues. It is fast and easy fuel transfer. Also, will be watching the thread on the upholstery, I will be starting that project in the fall on my boat and would like to see the pictures of the before and after, along with any tips you may have as you learn them.

cin3000

Cadet

Thank you all for your answers to my questions -

My next purchase is going to be a super siphon. I've watched videos on it and I think this is going to work out great for what I need it for.

As far as the thread - this is what I purchased yesterday,Dabond UVR Polyester Thread V92 Marine 4oz Spool White | eBay
It's polyester marine thread but I was wondering if the size of the thread would be ok. I think the V92 would work ok in my machine.
I also purchased Schmetz 100/18 needles to handle this thread.

Okieboatguy - I will definitely take pictures of my project and post them. If you want to do research beforehand, check out woodonglass here on iboats. His thread - http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...flamingo-i-finally-started-w-pics-384982.html has videos and lots and lots of information on it related to reupholstering and this is where I got all of my information. Check out pages 5, 23-25, 27, 31 and 35 for videos.
I purchased my vinyl on ebay and it was very reasonable BUT I could have saved a little bit more purchasing it at Joann Fabrics using a 50% coupon. If you have a Joann nearby, I'd check out their coupons and see if this will save you more money versus buying it elsewhere. Let me kwow if you want to know who I bought my vinyl from on ebay.

cin3000

Cadet

I am electrical illiterate so don't know if I would be able to replace the panel or not. I am pretty handy with other things though. I just might have to take it in and have it fixed somewhere. Is there anyway to check to see if the panel is bad? Or if any of the wires are bad?

V69 and V92 is Nylon thread. For use in the marine environment you want to use Polyester thread.
I just changed the fuse panel on our pontoon this past winter. I had had issues with power and it was the original 1999 panel. Found an exact replacement and have no power issues anymore except my trim gauge no longer works. Related I'm not sure yet.

Pjaudon

Cadet

Good luck on your sewing project. My sewing machine wasn't strong enough to pierce through all the layers of fabric, so I bought an old all-metal gear-driven Singer machine from the 50's. works like a charm...

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

CIN, Yup, I have watched WOG's video, and have spoke with him from time to time, however, I like to see the new and other ideas people have, and if your sewing machine will work since I have the same one. Also, I think I may have inadvertently found a product to help smooth out and waterproof the foam. I recently put in Pergo floors in my dinning room, and noticed that the vapor barrier has a foam backing, and I was thinking that it would make an excellent layer between the foam and vinyl.
On your electrical, I work in the telecom industry and work on power systems daily, If your fuse is good, it is good, no in between. That being said, when troubleshooting electrical issues, wires and fuses only pass what is being placed on them. So you can start on on one end and work your way back. You may have corrosion or even multiple issues. I would get a cheap multimeter or even a basic 12 volt circuit tester and start on one side and work towards the other. If you need help just PM me and I should be able to walk you through.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know if there is an easy way to check an electrical panel. The reason I changed mine was when there was a problem like something not working I would move the fuses around and it would sometimes help. I felt there was a crack someplace.

As for the thread, the 92 size is probably the largest your home machine will handle and you will be fine. Take a smaller stitch if you can adjust the stitch length.