RC Airplane Hobby

spratt

Lieutenant
Are there any RC airplane hobbyists here on the board? I was once into it a few years back, but never got good and lost a very expensive plane I built by allowing it to get out of range and it just flew off into the wild blue yonder. I did find pieces of it hanging in a tree about a 1/4 mile away after it flew across the freeway from where I was flying in a school football field. My most pleasure comes from actually assembling and finishing the planes.<br /><br />However, I want to now get back into the hobby, and am looking for advice, used (actually UNused) equipment that may be laying around in someone's garage, and your stories or adventures that you have had.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: RC Airplane Hobby

I was into this like a sickness (kinda like boating) a few years back. at one time had maybe 20 aircraft, most of which were swap meet and crash rebuild specials, but all flew. I'd like to think I'm a pretty good pilot. Had a few spectacular wrecks in my time. Currently I haven't flown the real thing in about 2 years, but I have 4 aircraft (none of which I have flown yet but all are ready to go). I have a 82" span Edge 540, an 80" or so span Giles 202, a 60-something span Cessna 182, and a 54" or so Cap 232. They are all glow powered 4 strokes, with the exception of the Edge which is a OS 1.60ci glow 2 stroke. The Giles is my pride of the fleet, all metal gear hi torque servos, a 1.80ci Saito four stroke, all highest quality stuff. <br /><br />I do a lot of time on the Great Planes Realflight simulator. I can't say enough good things about this software. It is 100% accurate. How accurate? Well, I had never flown an RC helicopter, and ask anyone who has, it's hard. Much harder than an airplane. Well the realflight software has heli models, and even a trainer mode to teach you. I spent some time on the simulator getting good at the helis, then bought a used heli and hovered it and flew it FIRST TIME OUT. Nobody could believe it including me. <br /><br />The software is about $200 which is steep, but it comes with a futaba controller that is converted to interface with the computer via USB, so it's 100% realistic. I'd pick up the software and practice there, because one crash as you know will easily cost you more than the software. It's also great once you're back into flying to practice tougher routines and acrobatics, or just 'fly' on windy or rainy days.<br /><br />Anyway, sorry to get into infomercial mode but I love this software. I recomend at least looking into it, some hobby shops will let you demo it in the store. That's my friendly advice. :) <br /><br />Have fun!!!

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

I still have a few in my garage as well. I never crashed them until I got comfortable flying. Then......you know.....cuttin' the tall grass inverted, at full throttle, with a screamin' Kaos w/pipe and retracts,etc.. that kinda stuff usually did me in. I still have some equipment and accesories. Let me know if you need anything in particular and I'll take a look.<br /><br />Dave

ndemge

Commander

I'd love to get into the hobby...<br /><br />I've got a prather 31" RC boat, but use a Futaba 4chanel Airplain controller, so at least I wouldn't have to buy a new controller.<br /><br />Havn't had the boat out in about 6 years

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Dave Abrahamson:<br /> I still have a few in my garage as well. I never crashed them until I got comfortable flying. Then......you know.....cuttin' the tall grass inverted, at full throttle, with a screamin' Kaos w/pipe and retracts,etc.. that kinda stuff usually did me in. I still have some equipment and accesories. Let me know if you need anything in particular and I'll take a look.<br /><br />Dave
Dave, email me at smp_8101@yahoo.com. I am interested in everything right now. When I got out of it, I got rid of it all, now I need radios, engines, servos, you name it!! Size is not too important, I can build a plane to meet any engine, so if you want to clear a spot in the garage, I am interested in perhaps buying the lot? Thanks for the offer!!!<br /><br />Steve, sounds like you have had some real fun!!! A really good friend who introduced me to this stuff has b een flying for probably 20 years, and is very good. He also has some software and loaned it to me along with a Futaba radio, but the radio is dead so I just haven't gotten back with him to trade it out. It is older though, and has an actual serial 9-pin cable (fortunately my PC still has one!!) so I don't have to use a USB converter. I took a look at GP's software on teh Net, and really like it, but hte cost was a bit prohibitive for me righ now, as I need to buy hardware for eht planes first. I can practive with my buddy on his trainer for now. However, if ya feel like ya wanna rid yer place of some of the hardware laying around, email me!!!

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

ndemge ..........please do not use aircraft radio to operate surface craft. Highly frowned upon and dangerous. People have lost aircraft when someone turns on their air radio that is on the same freq. as the pilots. Plane could fly into people or objects as well. The common air radios have a range of a mile or so.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Definitely true. It's actually a federal offense if you get caught. Not to mention what will happen if the guy whose big $$ airplane you crash catches you.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Steve Huminski:<br /> I do a lot of time on the Great Planes Realflight simulator. I can't say enough good things about this software. It is 100% accurate.<br />The software is about $200 which is steep, but it comes with a futaba controller that is converted to interface with the computer via USB, so it's 100% realistic.
Steve, a couple questions. I just emailed my son and told him I would like the GP software G3 for my birthday (he always asks)...is that radio usable later as a controller for a plane?<br /><br />And, what do you think about going with an electric park model for first time learning?<br /><br />The only plane I really ever flew alone got away from me so fast it was incredible!!! The electrics are way slower, and I think from watching, easier to operate for a beginner. And a beginner is exactly where I place myself.

D

DJ

I thought you were only supposed to fly RC planes at controlled (frequency cleared) fields?

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

DJ, I would say many do. If an AMA member and affiliated with a club courtesy and guidelines are followed. But. Some folks like me used to fly out in the country, try to be mindful of any organized fields nearby. <br /><br />These days many are flying the "park flyer" electric jobs that have limited radio range and can be flown in local parks, or even your front yard.<br /><br />As an aside...think what a nut could do with a decent sized RC ship designed to behave as a crop duster, or even a Kamikaze type deal with some sort of "load" on board.

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have flown planes off and on thru the years .. I like RC boats better those darn Air planes hit the ground and turn back into kits .. bad habit

crab bait

Captain

i've flyin' for 15 years.. mostly 40 sized airlplanes.. <br /><br />my favorite is a scratch-built 'pea-shooter' from henry haffke coverite plans.. with an enya 2 stoke 40 <br /><br />my 'baby' is a GEE BEE R-1 racer.. also of henry's plans.. with a satio 4 stoke 65<br /><br />my special 'sunday' flyer is a goldberg ultra bi-plane blue hawk.. with super tiger 90 2- stroke..<br /><br />enter in alotta 'quickee-500' races.. with a 2-stroke nelson ( the baddest ,fastest mamma-jamma on the planet ) ..!!<br /><br />yeah,, i do love R/C building an flyin'.. <br /><br />got into boat buildin' because of it.. plans/wood/glue/epoxy.. it's just like a big ole fuselage..!!

Link

Rear Admiral

Built my first RC plane during the winter months of 1976 while stationed in Germany. Spent months and a ton of money on it. Dont remember make and model but it had a 5 ft wing span and was the prettiest thing I ever saw.<br />Spring of 77 I was waiting for a break in the weather to learn how to fly it. <br />A friend (whos hobby was flying real planes) offered me 2000 dollars worth of camera gear for it. <br />He took it out the next day and turned it into a kit again! WOT nose dive into the only rock on the entire field! <br /><br />Built second (Low Tech) Wrights Flyer in Korea in 83/84 with cox 049.. waited to fly until I got back to the states... it arrived with a dried muddy boot print on what was once the top of the box! :eek: <br /><br />Still have to 049 somewhere! :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Allways wanted to get into that hobby. They have a beautifull flight park about a mile from here.<br />I often go over to watch.<br />But I just can't bring myself to 'take the plunge', due to practical budgetary needs.....(no money to pince-away, without tangeable gain). But that is what a hobby is, so don't think I'm dissing those who do take the plunge....just wish it was me, that's all.<br />I've had some extremely expensive hobbies, like CB and amateur radio (blew thousands), boats, fishing, rocketry, motorcylce racing, car racing, and saltwater aquariums.<br />But I never bit the bullet and got the bug yet.

handball

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Guys,<br />I have been in rc planes for many years and usually enjoy flying aerobatics the most. The best way for anyone to get started is to go to a local hobby shop and ask where a local club flys.<br />Go to the local field and tell them you are interested. Most clubs have an instructer that will teach you to fly with a buddy box , and you will be learning on a proper high wing trainer to start. The instructer will examine your plane and pick up any problems before you attempt to fly, this insures you will still have a plane to show the wife when you arrive home . Also clubs have swap shops where you can find good deals on all kinds of equipment. This is a great hobby for the long north east winters and will help you forget all your troubles when you get involved with the building. I wish they had model kits for grand banks, sea rays and other boats , as I think they would be popular with us boaters.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />Bill

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

FWIIW, In 1980 I started to build a scratch-built 4 engine RC B-24 Bomber. It was from a kit but that only included a detailed drawing, a stack of lumber, a few decals and all the necessary molded pieces such as cowels, gun blisters, windshield, foam wing panels, etc. It has a 55" fuselage and a 90" inch wingspan. <br /><br />Then I got married and an appropriate time later had a child. The project got sidelined after the fuselage was built. It's still sitting on my hobby bench today, waiting till the those pesky kids get out on their own.<br /><br />Always wondered how it's maiden voyage would get accomplished. Certainly not by my hand.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Hey 12footer,<br />If you still have your ham license if/when you ever get into R/C, you can get special radios which work on the six meter band and have more range than you can see the airplane. Little chance of interference at busy meets, too, supposedly.<br /><br />I've been tempted, especially by R/C sailplanes. But I've avoided getting bit by the bug also- so far. Thinking about trading a cherry receiver for a new HF transceiver this summer when I upgrade to general (finally), though. PSK31 sure looks interesting... Too many good hobbies!

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by pjc:<br /> DJ, I would say many do. If an AMA member and affiliated with a club courtesy and guidelines are followed. But. Some folks like me used to fly out in the country, try to be mindful of any organized fields nearby. <br /><br />These days many are flying the "park flyer" electric jobs that have limited radio range and can be flown in local parks, or even your front yard.<br /><br />As an aside...think what a nut could do with a decent sized RC ship designed to behave as a crop duster, or even a Kamikaze type deal with some sort of "load" on board.
Interesting that yo mention that. A hobby shop (can't remember which one) reported to the FBI that a Easterner ahd tried to order several very large RC Planes to be shipped to them at a US Address...they wouldn't sell/ship them to them, which I give kudos for!!! One could only imagine what something like that could be used for!!!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Flat,<br /><br />No, the G3 controller will not function as a transmitter, it does not contain the transmitting electronics. <br /><br /><br />A park flyer is a good choice for a trainer, will be less expensive and since it will fly slower will be easier to control and more likely to survive minor mishaps. Go for it!