Rattling sound 1984 Evinrude 50hp

Bailey_B

Recruit
I’m a novice with outboards but enjoy tinkering if pointed in the right direction. Cruising back to the launch last Fall going about 3/4 full speed and all of a sudden loud rattling sound occurred. Fired it up back at home. First video: Idle shows rattling at idle. Second video: Low RPM seems to make the rattle go away when running on low RPM. Any ideas?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats

You need to make a few more Posts before you can upload Pics or Videos

Bailey_B

Recruit
Sorry, not sure what that means. Ask questions and I can try to provide more detail on my problem.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You claimed to have posted Videos. You can't do that until you have posted/replied a few times

stresspoint

Ensign
back in the days of my experimenting with 2 stroke timing , my 55 did that just before it spat a rod out the side of the block.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It doesn't for me. God Damn Windows 11
Click on the down arrow at the top of the page and download it to watch it. It was doing the same thing to me but after I hit that arrow and downloaded it I could watch it.

Bailey_B

Recruit
Did a compression test. 130psi top cylinder, 100psi bottom cylinder. Checked the gear oil too. Oil was replaced in fall before winterization and is slightly milky already.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motor needs work.-----Remove cylinder head for inspection.----Lucky you if it is a blown head gasket !!

Bailey_B

Recruit
Took cylinder head off, bottom piston has some play in it. Bottom piston’s top dead center position is about 1/16” less than top cylinder. When I jimmy the flywheel back and forth when the bottom cylinder is in TDC I can hear slight clanking. Top cylinder in TDC looks and sounds good. Something messed up with the bottom cylinder connecting rod?