Rate Yourself

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was just wondering, How do you all rate yourself as tippers. Not at the Dunkin' Donuts, (everybody seems to have a tip jar up now) but at a sit down dinner or the hair place or like that. I have, B.M. (before marriage), dated more than a few waiteress and they realy hustle for the money. If any of you have waitstaff experience, please tell what you think is appropriate. Oh, Canadians... well whatever.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rate Yourself

I am usually a 15% tipper, but for extraordinary service I am very generous.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I love breakfast. Breakfast is usually cheap, where I go, little cafe's and family run restaurants, so I alway's tip at least 2 bucks (even if the bill is only 6 bucks) other than that if the service is good and so was the food usually 20% (25% if on company expense account.. :p )<br /><br />A good waiter or waitress can make or break a meal. ;)

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I give 20% unless the service is really really really bad, then still like 10%. I used to work for tips so I understand that:<br /><br />1) They need the tips because most make the below-minimum wage "waiters" wage.<br /><br />and<br /><br />2) Everyone has a bad day or gets busy. <br /><br />Now.... the drive through dunkin donuts on the way to work has a tips jar at the window. I don't consider handing me a coffee through the window something you should get a tip for. Maybe if I ordered an office's worth of coffee one morning or something...

oddjob

Commander

I frequent a small wing & raw bar.<br /><br />good=25%<br />good and they flirt with me=30%<br />average=15%<br />average and they flirt with me=20%<br />poor=some change from my pockets or a personal note on the bill.<br /><br />Its amazing to me the time and money wasted by some waiters who cant smile or be friendly to save there life. I hate not to leave a tip but more and more the service is going downhill IMO.

MrDumb

Seaman

I must leave input here! I work hard for my money so if anyone wants a tip from me they must work hard also for my money. There for I would say that 95% of the time I do not tip. I mean it better be exceptional service and I need not have to ask for a refill! Just my point though money is hard to come by. ;)

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by MrDumb:<br />I must leave input here! I work hard for my money so if anyone wants a tip from me they must work hard also for my money. There for I would say that 95% of the time I do not tip. I mean it better be exceptional service and I need not have to ask for a refill! Just my point though money is hard to come by. ;)
I din't know John Kerry was a member of this forum :D

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Tipping seems to have become a method for employeers to under pay employees and extort the balance from the customers. The desire to tip would be improved if employees didn't automatically expect a tip for mediocre service, for example, if I order a burger and fries I shouldn't have to ask you for ketchup, if I do the tip will reflect your incompetance. For the record, I tip up to 25 % for good service, in plain english, if you earn it you'll get it. :) <br />One other point, if I hand you a twenty for a 12 dollar check DON'T ask me, "did you want any change", that method of extortion automatically reduces the tip. :eek:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

agree, service ain't what it used 2 b...<br />in younger years was: dishwasher, busboy, waiter,<br />barback, bartender, prep cook, cook, then the head cook.<br />around 20% is norm with a bit added/removed based<br />on service.<br /> <br />MY little trick :p <br />when server takes drink order, ask them specifically<br />how the kitchen is running. you'd be amazed how<br />effective a direct question is. did same at fav.<br />mexican rest. last weekend, and she told me that<br />a cook called in sick and they were a getting way<br />behind. we were in no hurry, but at least we weren't<br />sitting there for a half hour wondering where is<br />our order????<br />she also gave us great service since we were the<br />only table that actually knew ;)

one more cast

Captain

if the place is real busy and the server is really rushing around I usally tip a little more then 20% same if the server is friendly.If the service is so-so they get between 15-20%<br />and like someone else said , if the meal is inexpensive I leave a couple bucks.

wrenchboy

Cadet

minimum 15-generally 20 percent, unless she sticks em in my face.... then who knows... ;)

MrDumb

Seaman

I think the majority of the employees in this industry just flat out expect a tip, and that is the problem. I am not going to give them a heads up on what I expect or ask how everything is going in the kitchen, that is not why I came to there establishment in the first place. Plain and simple if the service sucks NO TIP... If they are rushing around than they need to hire more people, that does not consitute an automatic tip. By the way I am voting for Bush!!

Stratosfied

Ensign

I will go sometimes even more than 20%. I always write on the receipt "The ******'s, Brewton Al and then a small thank you or comment. You would not believe how much that will improve your service on your next visit. ;)

mattttt25

Commander

my fiance has always been a waitress. i know what they go through for money. in most states, minimum wage doesn't apply, they can pay them $2.15 / hr and let them make the rest up in tips.<br /><br />i always tip 20%, sometimes a bit more.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I used to wait tables, so 20-25% is my standard tip. I'll still tip well when the service was lousy IF (and only if) the server is busy and the problem is understandable. If the place is dead, and still I get lousy service, 12-15%

Copespitter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't eat out partly because of having to tip.<br />Why should they get a tip for doing their job? If their only getting $2.15 an hour than I can understand tipping but out here in California the minimum wage is $6.75. There are alot of people working for minimum wage that work alot harder than waiters/waitresses. <br />A friend of mines wife is a waitress. She makes a solid $40,000 a year. Alot of that money can be tax free.<br /><br />Why eat out? Just makes you fat, costs alot of money and there is no telling what has been done to your food. I haven't ate out in years. I don't eat fastfood or eat off taco trucks or lunch wagons. <br />Food is waiting for me when I get home or if i'm gonna be gone awhile I bring it.<br />I waste my money on fishing equipment. I've spent $500 on it in the last couple weeks. If I ate out I could only buy half as much equipment.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) 20% most all the time!!!<br /><br />When service is terrible a "PENNY!!!!" ;) :cool: <br /><br />I believe that most wait staff work hard for their money!!!<br /><br />Don't come to my table with a bad hair day!!! :D