Ranger Underpowered?

Crazychud123

Recruit
Just bought a '95 Ranger Sport R72 last year. It has a 115 HP Yamaha Pro V on it. I took it out probably about 25 times last year. Its a great little boat, my only concern is that it seems "underpowered" and im not sure if there is actually something wrong with it, or if it is supposed to be that way. This is my first bass boat, so I dont know a whole heck of a lot about them. The top speed on it isn't terrible, probably somewhere around 35 MPH (not sure exactly, speedometer is digital and it's burnt out). I thought it would be faster, but its not really a big deal. The biggest concern I have is that shes a dog out of the hole. Takes a long time, probably 15 seconds for her to plane out. Ive played with the trim while taking off, doesnt make a difference. It runs good, idles fine, starts great. Everything else about it is in perfect condition, its been very well maintained. So I thought I'd ask before I get her out this season, see if anyone out there knows more about them. Maybe its just an underpowered model, or maybe its something more serious, I dont know. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance for the advice.

pops

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Ranger Underpowered?

I have the identical boat with a 115 Mariner. It is not underpowered, comes out of the hole quickly, and will run around 45-48 MPH (would run 52-53 when new).

I would suggest a prop change, but you need to know RPMs to correctly evaluate. Have you checked the motor for compression, etc.? There is something wrong with your set-up, but it could be a combination of several things.

Crazychud123

Recruit

Ok, good to know. I will be doing a compression test before it hits the water this year, so it will be done soon. The prop is in mint condition, but I was given a spare one with it, which leads me to believe it may have been changed by the previous owner (for whatever reason) so I will look into that as well. Assuming the compression test comes out OK, what are some other options? I was told it could need a new fuel filter?

Thanks for the input, I thought the boat would be faster than it is, I expected it to be somewhere in the range that yours is, 45 MPH and quick on the trigger. Ill play around with it, post when I have any results. Thanks again.

pops

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As a reference, my prop is a 13 1/2" dia.-22 pitch Laser II stainless. It was on the motor when I bought the boat/motor package new from a Ranger dealer. The motor turns about 5000 RPM at WOT, but after 16 years, I don't run it that hard very often.

pops

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is no wood in this boat, all fiberglass including the transom.

rickryder

Commander

Is there floatation foam in that boat? That could hold a ton of water if it's soaked....

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Others are getting the low 50's with that boat. Are you trimming the engine up? Does the engine seem go run right? You're way too slow.

You might want to take it back to the dealer you purchased it from, and get their feedback.

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

what size prop do you have? 15 seconds to plane is way to long. you need to have a correct tach and a gps to accuratly know your speed and rpm's. you need to trim the motor ALL the way down, slam the throttle, then start to trim up as she starts to get up. trim her up all the way (without blowing out the prop) and keep an eye on the water press.