Ranger livewell problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixfingers

Cadet
Re: Ranger live well problems

OK, I have an update...FINALLY! lol The weather amongst other things have been holding me up, but I finally got everything put in, minus a new toggle switch for the pumps.

Here we go...This first pic shows what was in the boat originally, after removing one of the battery's

bilge.jpg

Very messy! Note the one pump attached thru hull, with a T adapter splitting the water intake in order to fill both wells. You can also see the drain line's are also T'd for both wells, and only ONE overflow going out from the rear live well. The front live well just overflows into the bilge :devil:. Nice garden hose too!...lol

Here's a pic of the front underneath the floor. Stuck the camera through the drain hole and snapped a pic so I could see what was going on in there.

front_bilge.jpg

That pipe to the left is for the aerator. On the bottom the drain, and to the right the overflow pipe, with no hose attached. Great way to sink to a boat! Anyhow, I went to Lowe's and found some PVC that would fit the overflow pipe, and attached some new hose to tie it into the rear live well overflow. Now its all going out the back.

Original front live well aerator and very dirty tank.

originalfront_lw.jpg

Just a cap screwed on the PVC with a notch cut in it. (twisted so you could see the cut)

Here's the new flow rite power stream aerator.

front_lw_powerstream.jpg

Simply screwed off the original cap, put some fresh Teflon tape on the threads, and screwed the power stream aerator on. Also cleaned the tank as best I could with some softscrub. All done! Same process in the rear live well...(don't have a pic of that one.)

Original Ranger actuators...

Original_actuatorsr.jpg

Flow rite version installed.

flowrite_actuators.jpg

I fabricated the plate out of thin plywood, and shaped it bit. Didn't like the square look. Might move both pump switches to this plate also.

Here's the new pumps and valves installed.

pump_install.jpg

Ignore the mess of wires, I intend to straighten that up. It took a bit of time to figure the layout of all this. I layed out the pumps/valves, and attached the actuator cables to the valves, and moved them around until I knew I could make all the hoses attach and go where they needed to, without any kinks. Once I knew where I needed them, I epoxied some small platforms to bolt the pump/valves mounting bracket to. Those little white blocks in the pic (actually you can only see one near the top of the pic) are a plastic/nylon type of material. Easy to put screws into, and won't rot if they get wet. Anyhow, once that was all dried, I just ran my hoses as needed. (BTW, you don't need the crimping tool if you get the quick lock attachments. I just used a pair of wire cutters to crimp those rings...worked great!)

The overflow hoses are clear so its hard to make them out, but I t'd both wells to one thru-hull fitting. Both pump's/wells have their own intake now.

Here's the back of the boat thru-hull fittings with new screened strainers. 4 holes in all...Two water intakes/drains (the screened strainers), lowest hole-bilge drain, and overflow drain at the far right.

thru_hull.jpg

They just snap right into flo-rites thru hull fittings. All I have left to do is install a switch for the new pump, tidy up the wire mess and go fishing.

A small video of the new aerators running. I think I like having both the power stream aerator in the front and the nozzle for the rear live-well, due to its depth.

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ranger livewell problems

Thanks for all of that. I don't think it's supposed to rain here for a few days, so I may start digging into mine as well. This helps a bunch, Thanks!!!

sixfingers

Cadet

Mods....

how do I go about getting those images I posted to show again? I see no-where to edit the original post containing all the links.

MASTER Brian

So, have you had a chance to use the livewells much??? I'm curious what if anything you would do differently. I'm hoping to tear into mine in the next few days to see if I can get them working and if not I plan on starting my upgrade.

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should also pull your valves out and take them apart, clean and lube them. I do mine every year and sometimes there is alot of debris in them.
In the closed position you might get alittle water in your tanks went you launch. When your under way open your valves half way to drain...close before you stop.You can fill by opening the valves when stopped. Or fill by the pumps with the valve in closed position.

MASTER Brian

You should also pull your valves out and take them apart, clean and lube them. I do mine every year and sometimes there is alot of debris in them.
In the closed position you might get alittle water in your tanks went you launch. When your under way open your valves half way to drain...close before you stop.You can fill by opening the valves when stopped. Or fill by the pumps with the valve in closed position.

I plan on trying to clean them 1st, but if that doesn't work, then I'll resort to updating like 6fingers did.

I don't mind a bit of water coming in, however, I prefer no water come in, at least in the front livewell, as I tend to use that for a cooler, when I'm not out fishing!

Also, thanks for the explanation on the further explanation on how these work. I've messed with them, but never have figured out what should do what, because they don't do much of anything except let water in and out, in any setting.

sixfingers

Cadet

So, have you had a chance to use the livewells much??? I'm curious what if anything you would do differently. I'm hoping to tear into mine in the next few days to see if I can get them working and if not I plan on starting my upgrade.

I've had the boat out a few times, and can't say how much improved the livewell situation is. Flowrite works exactly as advertised....I wouldn't change a thing about it. Only thing I might add is a timer for the pumps in the future, but for now its 100% better than it was.

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

after reading this my 335v ranger does exactly that.never thought it was a problem. never to old to learnas they say.

MASTER Brian

Well, it looks like this week I'll finally get started on rebuilding mine. My 2nd bilge pump went out this weekend and had to rig it to work. So while I'm in there replacing it, I'll tear into the live wells finally.

I'll keep everyone posted as well....

MASTER Brian

sixfingers,

I finally tore into my system and found that my valves were missing the rubber piece that closes off the valve. All else seems to be in good order. The garden hose you refer to, must be original equipment, as it's the same stuff my boat has. I also noticed that my valves are flow-rite valves and it looks like they sell a repair kit for them.

I am wondering if you found the same to be true? I'm waiting on a return call from Roger with Flow-Rite, so I can discuss some options with him.

Most likely, I am going to replace the valves and update my live wells to the System 3 setup as I love the way that appears to work.

With that said and with what you found on your system, would you replace everything or just update the valves, controls and the aerator? I know you almost needed to because you were missing so much, mine is all there.

Did the cables appear to be the same? If so, would you replace those? I will likely also update the though hull fittings on the rear of the boat, mainly because one of them is missing the strainer and I like the idea of the snap in strainer or plug. I also will probably upgrade the drains in the bottom of the livewell as well, so that I can get a nicer strainer there as well.

Then last, what about the quick connects? Did you use them everywhere? ....I thought about just using them at the valve assembly. What's your thought?

I priced everything up and came to about $230-$250. That would basically be 2 complete new systems. I roughly figure I could save half by not replacing every single piece and by not using quicklocks on every joint. After all my thought is how often am I going to mess with any of this again? I figure I might pull the valve out to clean it on occaision, but that's about it. I don't mind spending the money if you think that's the way to go, but at the same time, I could use the difference somewhere else.....

Thanks....

Also, is anyone interested in any of my old pieces?? Like I said, the valves are the only parts that are worn out, from what I can tell so far and they might be repaireable.

MASTER Brian

Ok, I talked with Roger @ Flow-Riteand he told me Ranger had a kit to replace my existing setup with a system 3 for about $120. I guess that comes with the valve, actuater, cable and mounting plate. It doesn't replace the hoses, any fittings or the aerator.

The thing I'm not clear about is, if that replaces both livewells or just the one, I'm guessing both. Ranger is closed for the week, so I'll be contacting them next week!

I also found out, that my current system, which was stock on my 1986 373V, is basically the system 2 and that I believe a 2VR is the valve I need if I want to just repair my system. So for anyone that wants to just repair their older system, I suggest calling Roger. Also, once again, if anyone wants my stock actuator or cables, I'll likely be getting rid of those, so let me know.

sixfingers

Cadet

Ok, I talked with Roger @ Flow-Riteand he told me Ranger had a kit to replace my existing setup with a system 3 for about $120. I guess that comes with the valve, actuater, cable and mounting plate. It doesn't replace the hoses, any fittings or the aerator.

The thing I'm not clear about is, if that replaces both livewells or just the one, I'm guessing both. Ranger is closed for the week, so I'll be contacting them next week!

I also found out, that my current system, which was stock on my 1986 373V, is basically the system 2 and that I believe a 2VR is the valve I need if I want to just repair my system. So for anyone that wants to just repair their older system, I suggest calling Roger. Also, once again, if anyone wants my stock actuator or cables, I'll likely be getting rid of those, so let me know.

If your not sure, I would try to get Roger to clarify for you each item of concern. It sounds like he means the whole setup, but its your dollar....so be sure before you purchase. Roger is pretty easy going as well, so I doubt he will mind you asking again.

from your earlier post
Most likely, I am going to replace the valves and update my live wells to the System 3 setup as I love the way that appears to work.

With that said and with what you found on your system, would you replace everything or just update the valves, controls and the aerator? I know you almost needed to because you were missing so much, mine is all there.

Well, it depends on which system you want. System 2 works a little different from system 3, and everything else you purchase (with the exception of the aerators) is determined by the valve you use. - VR2 or VR3's -

Not sure what your actuators are like, but if you want them to match the system you choose, I would get those as well. They are fairly in-expensive. My cables were somewhat different than the flow rite version....but you might be able to slide on those since you already have a flow-rite setup.

Aerators - if you have aerators that work fine, you can use them and upgrade later. The new ones just screw on your existing plumbing in the well, and are easy to get to any time. So yeah you can save here, and purchase whenever you want later. I do love those new aerators though...lol :D

Did the cables appear to be the same? If so, would you replace those?

Mine were different, but you said you already have a flow-rite version in the boat, so I'm not sure...ask Roger about this.

I will likely also update the though hull fittings on the rear of the boat, mainly because one of them is missing the strainer and I like the idea of the snap in strainer or plug. I also will probably upgrade the drains in the bottom of the livewell as well, so that I can get a nicer strainer there as well.

The snap in strainers are nice.

For my drains inside the well, I took the PVC caps from the old aerators, cut the ends off, and glued some window screen to make a nice home made strainer that just screws on the threads of the drain. Those do tend to clog up with fish scales pretty easy though. I'm considering trying some sort filter here...maybe I can modify some filter for a fish tank from the pet store or something. Would limit the amount of junk in the tank as well as debris going through the valves. Will have to look around and find something.

Then last, what about the quick connects? Did you use them everywhere? ....I thought about just using them at the valve assembly. What's your thought?

Here's another area you can save. You can use regular hose clamps on everything if you want. I'm sure however, it would be nice to at least have them on the valves. Would make cleaning maintenance on the valves a lot easier. I used them on almost everything - the pumps, valves, and thru-hull fittings mainly, but omitting them will save you a few dollars.

Make some notes on things you aren't real sure about, and go over them with Roger again to make sure you know exactly what you need/want.

Let me know how it goes!

MASTER Brian

Thanks for your reply.

I figure I'll call Ranger and find out what is included. They should know since it is their kit. I'm also hoping I can get a picture of the mounting plate.

Other than that, Roger said the cables I have will work with a system 2 valve/setup, as would my current slide actuators. If I go with a system 3 setup, I have to get the new cables and actuators. The reason is, is that the system 3 has tighter tollerances.

I suppose once I speak with Ranger to see what exactly that kit includes, I'll know better how I'm going to proceed. I do believe that I will replace my aerators as well. I think I'm going to put the power stream aerator in the front livewell and the pump out combo in the rear. I like the idea of being able to dump that livewell out.

I am still undecided on the quick connects. I don't mind spending the $$ if it saves a ton of time, but if not, then I'm not sure I can justify them, as I don't plan on having to tear into this again. If I don't buy the kit from Ranger, I'll probably do quick connects on the valves for the reason you state, but Ranger's kit comes with the barbed valves, based on what Roger told me.

In any case, I'll know more in a few days. Right now I'm waiting on my automatic switch from www.waterwitchinc.com for my bilge pump, so I can finish hooking those up. It will be soooo nice having a bilge I don't have to worry about and a livewell system that works!

edge13

Recruit

I bought the whole kit from Ranger for my 1992 Ranger Fisherman 690C. You bassboat guys are spoiled with your working space. My body is contorted like gumby to get be able to work on my pumps and valves which are pretty much located under the floor!

Quick question, the Rule pumps that came with the kit have very long fittings to be screwed into the side of the flap valve. How can I shorten them so that they do not take up so much space yet still not screw up the thread of the fitting....that's all I need. Should I just take out the hack saw and get to it? Are there any special tools?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

sixfingers

Cadet

A hacksaw should work just fine as long as you take your time and make a tidy cut.

MASTER Brian

I came across this in my saved links and I'm not sure I ever mentioned how great this setup is. I got it installed last year and absolutely love it.

I still don't do a ton of fishing, but I do use the front livewell as a cooler a lot when I go out for a leisurely afternoon with the family. My livewells used to leak and take on water or empty out, now they do exactly what I ask of them.

Thanks for all the advice!!

FishRon

Recruit

Well, if you find new valves let me know, because mine are aparantly not working correctly either.

I have just recently acquired a 360V 1987 with the same live well "fill/Empty" controls. Both livewells are in the rear but both seem to leak when filled. I was told that you can adjust behind the control. Have not jet tried but do need a Knob for the lower lever, if anyone has one.
Ranger does have an upgrade kit that changes everything and gives a knob control. This is cables, control and the valve. I was quote $130. for the conversion.

FishRon

Recruit

Well, if you find new valves let me know, because mine are aparantly not working correctly either.

I have just recently acquired a 360V 1987 with the same live well "fill/Empty" controls. Both livewells are in the rear but both seem to leak when filled. I was told that you can adjust behind the control. Have not jet tried but do need a Knob for the lower lever, if anyone has one.
Ranger does have an upgrade kit that changes everything and gives a knob control. This is cables, control and the valve. I was quote $130. for the conversion.

MASTER Brian

Can you email me a pic of the part you are looking for? I have all the stuff that came out of mine and as far as I know/remember everything was there.

I will say, mine leaked because the valves were broken from years of use. They'd open and close, but seems like there was a "gasket" or rubber piece that was broke off. If I remember I'll try to snap a pic and send you if you emial me.

For what it is worth, I am thrilled I upgraded my livewells to the new setup. I didn't however go through ranger, I went through the valve company and seems like I spent around $200-250, but I bought all new parts/pieces and can now pump my livewell out. It was money well spent!

my email is blg @ cox.net without spaces.

laner54

Recruit

Thanks to sixfingers for the photos as I found them helpful when I reworked my livewells. Nothing worked on either livewell when I started. Pumps were bad and the valves leaked. I started to go to flow rite and get a kit but sounded expensive. So, after looking at what I had I went to the hardware store and got the plastic fittings, pipe and a can of glue for $11. I got enough hose to replace it all for $11. Both pumps (800GPH) at walmart for $65. I found that the valves could be repaired. The flappers at a marine store was $2 a set total cost of $4. I took them apart and really cleaned them and replaced the flappers. Work as good as new now. One thing I want to mention now is if you take the valves out, put the screw that holds the actuater back in the hole it came out of. This is for reference as it is possible to put your valve in backwards. They are reversable!!!! When I put mine in I made sure that when the actuator was on fill, the back flapper was open. this way the pump pulls water in from outside to fill the livewell. Total cost to repair both livewells $91.

Status
Not open for further replies.