Raised Garden Beds

LadyFish

Admiral
I've been wanting to add a raised bed on the other side of the house so I can plant more vegetables ad herbs.<br /><br />Does anyone plant in a raised bed? If so, is there anything you'd do differently after building your first one. I'm envisioning a small one about 12' by 4'.<br /><br />Thanks :)

ehenry

Commander
Re: Raised Garden Beds

Yup, I'd build it higher so I dont have to stoop to tend it.

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LadyFish,<br /><br />I just got done with some raised beds in the backyard...let me tell you my story.<br /><br />About 4 years ago I put three 4' by 12' raised beds in the back corner of the lot. I used 2*12 redwood for these veggie beds, as I didn't want to use PT lumber for veggies (arsenic). They sat right on the ground, so as to allow deep-rooting veggies (like tomatoes) to go as deep as they wanted. They had an automated drip watering system.<br /><br />This worked out fine for a season or two, and we grew all kinds of stuff; but over time I discovered a number of problems with this setup:<br />1. The beds were too far from the house, so going out to harvest was not so easy (laziness?).<br />2. The watering system was notorious for breakdowns, mostly due to slugs crawling into the anti-siphon valves and clogging either the screens or the dripheads. This was especially a major problem if we'd leave on vactation for even just a few days.<br />3. Over time, the beds became so darned weedy and filled with grub pests that they had to be emptied and refilled with fresh soil each season...I even tried using that landscape fabric underneath but the weeds were too strong for it. That became very expensive.<br />4. The redwood just couldn't take the ground contact. After about 4 years about the botom 1/3 of the 2 by 12 had rotted away.<br />5. They actually got TOO MUCH sun and wilting was a problem...even when well-watered!<br /><br />Recently I recycled as much of the redwood as possible, by cutting away the rotted portions on a table saw, essentially leaving myself a bunch of 2 by 8. I rebuilt some much smaller boxes (3' by 3' by 15" high--i.e., double height 2 by 8), with bottoms, and placed them on the patio on top of bricks at the corners.<br /><br />Minuses:<br />1) I had to seriously pare down the variety of what I want to grow to ONLY those things that are better than from the store (e.g., tomatoes, green beans, herbs)<br />2) I have to hand-water with the hose (but that's easier since they're just outside the back door). Guess I'll have to get the neighbors to do it when we vacation...<br /><br />Pluses:<br />1) Alot cheaper on materials and soil (should have gone this way from the start)<br />2) They get 8-9 hrs direct sunlight and 5-6 hrs indirect per day now...perfect.<br /><br />To make a long story short:<br />-Make them deep enough<br />-Put them on concrete and/or raised off the ground to keep out weeds and reduce rot<br />-Do enough separate boxes so that you can rotate crops<br />-Make them small enough to be cheap, manageable, and even moveable if needed

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

For the past two seasons, we used a raised flower bed.<br /><br />I made mine out of 6 pressure treated 5/4" x 6' x 12' boards.<br /><br />My bed was 12'(long) x 6'(wide) x 1' (tall). I cut 2 of the 6 boards in half and used them for the shorter edges of my rectangle. I stacked the boards on top of one another and fastened them to a small PT 2x4 staked in the ground at the corners.<br /><br />I then used 2 yards of mushroom compost and topsoil mixture.<br /><br />We mainly grew tomatoes, peppers, green beans and cucumbers in it.<br /><br />We just watered when it was needed.

LadyFish

Admiral

James...no problem using PT lumber, I wondered about this myself?

Link

Rear Admiral

WAIT STOP dont do a thing until I can find my paperwork and a address or web site for you.<br />If you want a garden that<br />A: There is nothing to rot<br />B: There are no weeds or bugs to deal with<br />C: Total time spent per day working in the garden is about 30 seconds.<br /><br />Me thinks Mr.LadyFish is going to owe him BigTime :D <br /><br />I bought a system a few years ago that made these claims. And it worked great.<br /><br />You pay once for the garden box and directions about 40-60 dollars. I dont remember. Once you have the box to see how it is made and most important the directions on how to set it up for what you want to grow. You plant corn one way and tomatoes another etc<br /><br />Once set up there is a pipe in one corner and the box is covered with a hole in the front bottem<br /><br />In the evening you put a water hose in the pipe and fill until water comes out the hole in the front. Thats it all season! 30 seconds per box and your done!<br /><br />Best of all if you want to stick with small garden boxes you can build more by buying parts from target or kmart and pvc pipe from lowes for about 5 dollars each<br /><br />I made two more for 10 dollars and they worked just as well. I'm planning on building two larger systems 2ft X 12ft with 6 compartments each and a water regulater. Now thats being Lazy! :D <br /><br />I will dig up the information when I get back home tonight

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

CCA (chromated copper arsenate) treated wood doesn't pose any real threat and is completely safe but was limited to *industial use only* at the begining of last year.<br /> <br />The two (new) residential treating chemicals out there are arsenate and chromium free but, they've introduced ammonia into one of 'em.. ;) <br /><br />The whole thing with the new treating agents is to create a better 'situation' regarding the environment and our drinking water.. its no big deal. <br /><br />Look for either ACQ (amine copper quat) *or* copper-azole treated woods. They don't contain any chemicals that are listed with the EPA as carcinogens.<br /><br />FYI - ACQ treated wood should look similar to CCA treated wood and might weather with a touch more brown. Wood treated with copper-azole will have a slightly greenish tint that should weather to a brownish-green.

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Link,<br /><br />I like the idea of a water-once-and-your-done piping system; love to hear more about it.<br /><br />Barlow,<br /><br />Ain't no way in h*ll I would advocate the use ANY of those preservatives in a food-contact situation. Flowers, maybe; but not veggies.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Link...pictures...details...c'mon man were waiting... :)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

It is illegal to use CCA wood anywhere in a commercial kitchen. Why would you grow food in it? Use bricks or concrete blocks.

Link

Rear Admiral

KO people and they are called Earth Boxes and ready made $29.99 + 6.95 SH<br />Had to go look in the shed to get the name.<br />On my home made ones I just used part of a black plastic garbage bag and held it on with bungie cords around the top and followed the same directions<br /><br />earthbox.com

Bondo

Staff member

Well,..........About 12 or so years ago,.. I decided to return to My Roots(Ayuh,Pun Intended).......<br /><br />Both My Grand Dads were Exceptional Gardeners.......<br /><br />I also like the Raised Bed Idea....<br /><br />That spring there were some Granite Curbing laying around a jobsite, with No Home to be put in....... :D <br />So,...... I had the Boy's bring over the equipment trailer,+ We Loaded it Up......<br /><br />I STARTED with a nice little 5'X 35' Box, Just Stood the Granite on Edge(bout 15"),+ Dropped in a couple of Dumptruck Loads of Nice Top Dirt from a customers driveway dig-out... Nice Stuff.....<br /><br /><br />That was Fine,... For the 1st Year.......<br /><br />The following spring, We did a job where there was a bunch of RR ties,.... Ayuh,... I've got a place to Throw those Away.......Found a couple of driveway jobs where the "Waste" was the most Beautiful Top Dirt you've ever run your fingers thru,...... That year it Tripled to 15'X 35'....... Granite across the face,+ RR ties along the bottom of the Fence..........<br /><br />What More Could I Ask For......... <br />I Tried Corn that year..... a Total Waste of Garden Space,.... Takes Too Much ,+ You can Buy it, Roadside from a Farmer $1.50@doz............<br /><br />But,................. I decided to Double it Again.............15"X 75'............<br />I Removed the previous Inside Wall of the Original Garden(I used this as a plot divider up til now),.... which was the Granite,+ put it in-line with the wall running parallel with the fence...... Added more RR ties to box it out along the fence,+ across the back-end........ More Spoils from More driveway digouts.......<br /><br />That's the footage We've got Now,.... Notice, it's been I, till 2 seasons ago now........<br /><br />Somewhere along the way I Discovered Plastic Mulch............... Great Idea,... I HATE Weeding,.... And, It Warms the soil,+ retains water.........<br /><br />Being Bondo,.... I Knew I could Do Better............. :D <br /><br />At Work, We use this Stuff, Mariphied(sp) Paper,... Plastic Burlap,.... SUPER Strong.....<br />It Stops the Mud, or Clay from pumping up into your Stone.... Makes a Good Bridge across Soft Ground.........<br />Dig a hole, 1', 2', Whatever,.. Lay this stuff down,+ backfill with stone......... <br />You've got a Road across a Swamp,.. No Problem.............<br /><br />Weelllll,...... I Figured it Just Might be able to Stop a Weed,.. Maybe........<br />I was Right......<br />Most years I leave it on over winter,.. To Warm the ground sooner in the spring.......Pull it off,.. Rototill it,+ Drag it back on,.... I cut holes in it to plant through,.. Crop Rotation took on a whole New meaning,.... Just turn the tarp around,+ the hole were/are different......<br />BTW, It's a 1 piece,..12'X 75'... Not to heavy,.. slides easy....Ya Need alot of boards or bars, or rocks, or whatever On it to hold it down in the wind,.... Till the plantings are about a foot high.....<br />Weeding is a chore, only till the plant blocks the sun on the edge of whatever hole in the tarp you're working on.......Mid-June usually,.. With a May planting......<br /><br />When Deb came along,.. She Didn't Like That PLASTIC in HER Garden....................... :rolleyes: <br />I convinced her the 1st year to Just Try It..........<br />The 2nd year it was a Very Easy Sell, when I offered a New piece of paper,.... So She could put Her holes where She wanted...........<br />Ayuh,..... Another Plastic Mulch Convert.............. ;) <br /><br />Now I gotta finish those danm Super-Duty Tomato Trelises,.. 1/2" Rebar.... Heavy Duty,...... To go with the Tomato Cages thrown together with 5/8ths" Rebar...........<br /><br />Good Luck with Your Little Garden.............. ;)

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I have used an industrial roofing material. Made of Galvanised iron. Here it is called "clip lock".<br />It is a sheet with 2 trays pressed in it. Each tray is 200mm (8") wide giving total of 400mm width (16").<br />I would guess you can see it in any commercial building roofs.<br />Get the boss to cut strips the legnth/width of your box. Stand then up on their sides. Drive 13mm (1/2") lengths of galvanised pipe into the ground (on outside) to hold sides in place and fix with self tapping screws for steel from inside. Then back fill.<br />There is good advice about weeds above, although I am clever enough to use Glycosate (round-up)without knocking anything else off.<br />As for irrigation, why not just a few shrub heads into a piece of 19mm poly irrigation pipe with a fitting at one end to go on to you garden hose. At the tap, put on one of those cheap clock timers, so you can give it how ever many minutes you wish whenever you wish.<br />Golden rule with irrigation - use at least 19mm pipe (3/4") not 13mm (1/2"). You need equal volume at both ends, and there is a thing called friction loss etc, and the bigger the pipe the better it works.<br />I have a couple of raised bed and they work very well.<br />On one side i used long lengths of galvanised pipes so not only do they hold that side in place, they are 1.8m (6') above the ground, and I have tensioned dog-wire (netting with big holes)between then. That is what I grow tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, zuchinni, peas etc on. Works a treat.<br />One day I will slosh some paint over the outside to get rid of the shinny steel.<br />(As a side note, I also have 15 tables, each 30m long by 1.8m wide made of the stuff, raised 900mm off ground. I grow all my potted colour on then.)<br />Sorry about this Mr Ladyfish.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

LadyFish

Admiral

WOW !!! :eek: thanks for all the informative replys guys.<br /><br />Ever since we put in my courtyard and I dedicated 3/4's of it to flowers and tropicals, I had to reduce the size of my garden. I'm finding now that I can't live without more vegetables and herbs. This is the perfect solution.<br /><br />All this information is definetly going to help us build a raised garden that I can manage easily.<br /><br />Y'all are the greatest. :)

D

DJ

LF,<br /><br />One thing you'll have to keep in mind is where you place them.<br /><br />You do not want sun all day. The raised beds will become quite hot, if you have direct sun all day. Especially in your climate. Not to much of a problem, up north.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by agrazela:<br /><br />Barlow,<br />Ain't no way in h*ll I would advocate the use ANY of those preservatives in a food-contact situation. Flowers, maybe; but not veggies.
Originally posted by RubberFrog:<br /> It is illegal to use CCA wood anywhere in a commercial kitchen. Why would you grow food in it? Use bricks or concrete blocks.
I don't mean to offend any of ya's intelect but I think yer "fruit of the looms" are on a little tight.. we're talking a raised garden here, right?<br /><br />I'm willing to bet you'll injest/inhale more 'poison' from driving to work in the morning than you will from using this stuff in 20 life times of gardening or 50 lifetimes of commercial kitchen use .. where the hell you'ld ever use it in a practical commercial kitchen application that would be in contact with any food gets me.. :confused: <br /><br />just one thing to note here.. the chromium in CCA is the "bonding angent" for ther copper and arsnate .. it bonds them to the wood fibers. The treating process 'dilutes' CCA with water (the water acts as a vehicle) once the compound has been preasurised to .40 pcf of retention (or greate<br /><br />.... ah forget it :rolleyes: <br /><br />...<br /><br />go buy some 8" calico wall stone at $185 a ton.. that'll get you approximately 20sft of face wall area and last until this round water balloon called Earth explodes into a white ball of flame..<br /><br /><br />sorry for the garbage LF .. <br /><br />good luck with it

Stratosfied

Ensign

BTW, there used to be a show on tv and the host was Mel Bartholomew(sp), called the Square Foot Gardener. Maybe a search on the 'net will help you as he had a fascinating show and I have used many of the things I saw on that program. It will show how to maximize the area that you have, and simply be productive at it as inexpensively as possible.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Any of y'all want to come build this thing I'll take ya fishin when you're through. :D