RADAR with GPS overlay

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I am looking for a RADAR 9-12" screen combination with all the sonar bells and whistles and I also want an accurate GPS overlay so that if I have a RADAR contact, the unit will accurately display contact's GPS coordinates (+-100 feet). A mile range for GPS would be OK but I prefer 2 miles. I don't know the exact terminology to describe this feature or if it exists. I expect to spend 3-4K on the unit. I have always been a fan of Garmin and have two of their plotters/sounders installed on my current boat. Any information would be appreciated.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am looking for a RADAR 9-12" screen combination with all the sonar bells and whistles and I also want an accurate GPS overlay so that if I have a RADAR contact, the unit will accurately display contact's GPS coordinates (+-100 feet). A mile range for GPS would be OK but I prefer 2 miles. I don't know the exact terminology to describe this feature or if it exists. I expect to spend 3-4K on the unit. I have always been a fan of Garmin and have two of their plotters/sounders installed on my current boat. Any information would be appreciated.

Garmin uses the name "Motion Scope" for it's Fathom Radar series.

Considering upgrading my GMR 24 XHD next year

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/55...n/010-01707-00

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Garmin uses the name "Motion Scope" for it's Fathom Radar series.

Considering upgrading my GMR 24 XHD next year

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/55...n/010-01707-00

You know what the accuracy is of an identifiable target? In addition, I have limited room so I have to install a dome. My tallest spot on boat will be about 10' above water line so I don't see how a 40 mile range via the 24" dome would help me. However, I am totally ignorant of RADAR and its limits. This range increase may help me in the long run!

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You know what the accuracy is of an identifiable target? In addition, I have limited room so I have to install a dome.
Accuracy of a target? Minimum target size? Target separation?
These are a functions of beam width. The smaller the better

My tallest spot on boat will be about 10' above water line so I don't see how a 40 mile range via the 24" dome would help me.
Range is power. Power is Detail..... As a fisherman, I would swing a 6', 72 mile open array if my boat would allow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCnbExSSRWE

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

Range is power. Power is Detail..... As a fisherman, I would swing a 6', 72 mile open array if my boat would allow.

Excellent video. Looks like open array 4k is my best option, so far. I'd have to figure out how to build a quick release mount for my semi-hard top. I trailer a 28' boat. The last time I checked there are too many low hanging tree limbs in my way to my best launch facility. THX! Again!

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

I had a brain fart last night pondering over these things and one concern that the video doesn't address is their strength to pounding of the waves or seas. My boat has 22 degrees of dead rise, which mitigates hull pounding from seas, but with a 4' array that might be still too much stress. I see big arrays on larger boats but not smaller and faster boats.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I had a brain fart last night pondering over these things and one concern that the video doesn't address is their strength to pounding of the waves or seas. My boat has 22 degrees of dead rise, which mitigates hull pounding from seas, but with a 4' array that might be still too much stress. I see big arrays on larger boats but not smaller and faster boats.

I was wondering. You have a "semi-hardtop"...whatever that is.

Ultimately its the boat's support structure that takes the pounding.

I have a full fledged hardtop with a full compliments of electronics and antennas. Always on the look out for fatigue induced cracking of mounts and hardware.

No reason to go with a 4' array on a 28' boat from a performance perspective. A 24" dome is more than enough for recreational use unless your a hard core fisherman.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I was wondering. You have a "semi-hardtop"...whatever that is.

Ultimately its the boat's support structure that takes the pounding.

I have a full fledged hardtop with a full compliments of electronics and antennas. Always on the look out for fatigue induced cracking of mounts and hardware.

No reason to go with a 4' array on a 28' boat from a performance perspective. A 24" dome is more than enough for recreational use unless your a hard core fisherman.

It is a aluminum frame work permanently lagged bolted to boat, with fabric over the top of framework. Each of the 4 main pilon is 1.5" aluminum. Cross member arches are 1." It is very strong but not as strong as a fiberglass top. Much stronger than Bimini... It would take some work, but I could fabricate a small platform in the front/top with quick disconnect type bolts. I can access the current draw from Garmin. Each of my alternators put out over 100 amp/ratings.. I do not have generator. I also suspect that even the smaller 4' array would suck a fully charged battery down in just a couple of hours. I like the proximity alerts that RADARs provide over solely counting on a person to stand watch. I am in the fact finding stages right now. I appreciate your response. THX!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Each of my alternators put out over 100 amp/ratings.. I do not have generator. I also suspect that even the smaller 4' array would suck a fully charged battery down in just a couple of hours.
The 24" dome is only 40W. The 48" array is 55W

I'm running separate 1 kW sonar and side scan units, VHF, chart plotter, stereo and 24" dome with no problems off a 35 amp outboard.