Racial profiling

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Racial profiling

Originally posted by DJ:<br />
Maybe the racial profiling aint enough-maybe religious AND racial profiling would be a good idea.<br />
Let's try one at a time. <br /><br />If you want to skip, go to: All Christians are Evil. That'll get some following.
Hey DJ I meant doing both together-with religious profiling 1st.It'd be no good arresting an arab buddhist-he'll just look mild at you and be nice to the bugs in his cell-while they miss the black African radical muslim. (PLEASE don't jump on me for this anyone, it's just a possible example)

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

It was a bit of a mickeytake of EE's one about france that's all...

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Laws against racial profiling are good in theory. Some had good intentions when the laws were passed. Most were afraid of what they would face if they did not pass the laws, and the rest were looking at a personal agenda. <br />I have to say that we law enforcement and military have to be very careful. In looking at middle eastern males we can't just assume because of their background they are evil terrorists. We need to be careful to find another cue and reach a decision based on the totality of the circumstances as they are presented to us. BUT if that poor fellow that is being checked out based on his race or religion has nothing to hide, he will be willing to be checked, cooperate and be done in short time. Of course we must consider the embarassment caused by being checked at the airport or on the streets. In their place I would have to say I would be upset. There are probably too many middle eastern males in this country that are NOT terrorists, that do not believe in what the terrorists are doing, and that are model citizens. The million dollar question is where is the middle ground here. How can we look out for our security while also protecting the civil rights of everyone we are protecting? Profiling laws are not the answer, but what is? <br />How about if someone declares that all males with dark hair and a receeding hairline are suspect? Would you like to be searched and surveilled every time you enter a bus terminal, an airport, or the local boat ramp? <br />The place where this law falls short is the same for every constitutional right we are given. It is all open to interpretation. You will have those (usually lawyers and politions) that will be using the laws to make a statement and get recognized. Then you will have those who are hurt by the decisions, then everyone else who is in charge that will be afraid of the repurcussions to stand up and speek out against these laws.<br />The racial profiling laws we face out here on the streets are so restraining that they really hurt everyone. Again they are good in concept, but not in practice. I have to keep a log sheet of everyone I stop on a traffic violation. I have to document their race, what I stopped them for, and if I requested a search of their vehicle. Problem #1 here is in my area most of my traffic stops are white drivers. I request searches if I suspect something, which is not too often. Usually I end up meeting tourists and families traveling to the lake. Now in a given month I will make around 100 traffic stops. I will request a search of around 25 to 30. All of these being white. Now I stop a hispanic male, see several signs that catch my attention like oh say a strong odor of dope from the vehicle. I request a search. He will within a week have his lawyers after me. They will pull my profiling sheets and see I search 25 out of 100 whites I stop. About 25%. Then they will say I searched 100% of all hispanics I stop. No mention will be made of why, the odor of dope the documented border crossing within 48 hours, the fact that this was a mexican national traveling across country to watch a basketball game with no luggage and no money, or the fact that this person hadn't bathed in days and the car is full of fast food wrappers indicating fast travel. All of that means nothing because I searched 100% of all hispanics I stop. That was not the intent of the law, but it is the way it is being used. And yes this happened to a friend of mine. He got 500 pounds of pot from the car then had to defend his actions because of the profiling laws.<br />We used to be allowed to profile everyone, even whites. Simply said, we had a sheet that had common indicators. Older car with newer equipment, newer car not matching the drivers obvious social or economic class, coming from or traveling to a known source state or city, traveling a distance with no luggage, car full of fast food containers, maps with routes marked out, sheets of phone numbers, etc. If we found more than 1 indicator we usually found a mule and got dope. Now our seizures are way down because of the constraints of these laws. <br />I have to say that some law enforcement and security personnell had to have these laws placed on them, and that is truely the sad part of all of this. Why in a free country should we even need these laws. The intent is good, and for some there had to be a limit, but for the other million security and law enforcement it has really hurt everyone.<br />Oh and good cartoon, I loved it.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Time for all people to start doing what they feel is right for their situation. forget about politics, forget about what someone else might see, do the right thing. Quit being intimidated by threats, do what you feel is right. The rest of us will stand with you. I own a few companies, I've fired people for not doing the right thing and for not doing their job, I don't care what their lawyers think. I've been threatened several times with legal action...my response has always been "bring it on"....no, I will not settle..."bring it on".....they have always lost, or backed down. If you are doing your job the best you can, then let everyone know the real story, you will not go down, someone will be there for you.

D

DJ

deputydawg,<br /><br />I FULLY understand what you are saying. However, we have gone so far away from profiling as to be absurd.<br /><br />How many old ladies, in wheelchairs, have we known to be terrorists? The same applies for 3 year old children.<br /><br />We're danged afraid of "offending" someone that the terrorists are among us.

NYMINUTE

Captain

The media profiles every election poll. That's OK though. But don't try it if you are a everyday person. Then its discrimination. :mad:

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

True profiling is not black and white. True profiling is that black man driving a rusted out 1973 chevy hanging around an obvious white neighborhood, or the white man driving the caddy hangin around the all black neighborhood, or the white lower class teenagers driving around a white very high class neighborhood etc. It is the whole situation as it is presented. This is also a decision made in Terry VS. Ohio. The right of law enforcement to stop people on the street if the totality of the circumstances indicate criminal activity is afoot.<br />True profiling is common sense which is why it is so impossible for lawyers judges and others to comprehend.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

A couple weeks ago, I learned that one of the rangers I work with at the course also works for the TSA at Port Columbus so I naturally asked him a few questions and I learned a few things. Y'all might already know this but here it is anyways. As far as pulling grannies out of line at the checkpoint, the TSA has nothing to do with that, it's a policy of the airlines themselves. He also told me that you are gauranteed to get pulled out of line if you are wearing clothing that does not allow them to visually inspect you, if you pay cash for a ticket, if you buy the ticket the same day as the flight and if you buy a one way ticket. He also told me about a BS policy. Let's say that you've boarded a plane. Something goes wrong where the plane can't take off and all the passengers are transferred to a different plane. That counts as a same day ticket sale and ALL of the passengers will be thoroughly screened. :confused: At that point business got in the way of the conversation. I'd be more than happy to ask him a few questions for you guys the next time I see him.<br /><br />Edit: I'm trying to get away from politics and just give some info for once.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

From Newsmax.com:<br /><br />Sunday, July 31, 2005 10:36 p.m. EDT<br /><br />"100,000 British Muslims Back Bombers<br /><br />A YouGov survey commissioned by the London Telegraph last week...<br /><br />Twenty-four percent of 500 Muslims responding said they sympathize with the suicide bombers. More troubling still, 6 percent said the attacks were necessary.<br /><br />And 1 percent said they'd be willing to commit actual violence in the name of jihad.<br /><br />The 1 percent who professed a willingness to actually commit violent acts translates into 16,000 Muslims."<br />----------------------------------------------<br /><br />That's the equivalent size of an Army division inside Britian willing to fight. In my opinion, someone better be doing some kind of profiling.

txswinner

Banned

Let's see now. President supposedly right wing conservative since 2000, congress right wing conservative since 2002, Supreme Court elected president in 2000, why is the profiling a left wing liberal thing. Many so-called conservatives are nothing but name callers and it is really old. I am considered by my close friends as a conservative but not blind. Cut the blame it on the left crap and say something that makes sense!!!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

It doesn't matter which side of the bird you are on, it is all political. The right does not want to offend the left, because out in the general population they may get a vote or two. The left won't offend the right because of that vote, not to mention all of the dollars that are poured into our government from special interest groups. Then there is the media that has to jump in and join the popular side at the time, adding strength to that side. <br />By the way, it is also necessary to search those little old ladies, families, and other obvious non threatening people. This makes it look good, adds to the numbers of non-profiled groups. Have to have a track record of searching all races equally.