R/R Alternator Belt Merc 140 I/O

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The alternator belt on this stern drive unit(1980 Mercruiser 140 4 cly) is 23 yrs old and stretched to where no more adj. is left. Its time to replace.<br /><br />Would have done it sooner but it's not clear from the way the engine is mounted as how to go about. I studied an aftermarket maintenace manual but it does not address what part of the motor mount yoke on front of engine should be unbolted to allow pass through of belt.<br /><br />There are two brackets on engine front each with two bolts through them that attach engine to engine mount/yoke. Can I just remove one bracket and let engine hang from the remaining bracket or do I need to brace engine somehow to protect remaing bracket from damage?<br /><br />Please enlighten me as how to do it. Also does anyone know what length of belt this takes. <br /><br />Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: R/R Alternator Belt Merc 140 I/O

On the Port-side of the mount, there's a Spacer Block........<br />Leave the bolts in the Starboard-side ........<br />It's Not a bad Idea to Support the motor a little, while pulling the block out of the way......<br /><br /> The Belt is, Mercruiser Part # 57-49043A1

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: R/R Alternator Belt Merc 140 I/O

Thanks, I'll work on it later this week.