quitting smoking

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: quitting smoking

I have smoked off and on now for the last 16 years, I'm 30 now. I quit once for about 2 months. The next time was a new years resolution joke. I said I was gonna quit, no cigs for me in the new year. At 2 am when I went to bed I was putting one out and said well, its a new year and I have already broke my resolution. The next morning I just stopped. I didn't light up again for over a year and a half. I started back because I was going nuts craving a smoke. I finally figured that the stress was just as bad as the smoke so I might as well enjoy it. I got back to about a pack a day. I have since cut back, I smoke about 5-6 a day and I am comfortable with that. You know everybody hates a quitter :) <br /><br /><br />EDIT: Section removed do to inappropriateness by poster.<br /><br /> <br />Good luck on quitting, if you really want to.

Link

Rear Admiral

FSHKPR<br /><br />Boy am I having a hard time not ripping "Clown Shoes/ aka spratt a new (A) hole as he left himself so open! " Just because I could and I know he would take it as jesting. :) <br /><br />But this is a serious post. You have got a lot of good advice here (including Clown Shoes) ;) <br /><br />I quit for 18 months cold turky with no problems.. after the first 48 hours as with any drug it is out of your system. But I quit for the wrong reasons. Not because I wanted to but because the "stupid Church thought it made them look bad if I smoked and went there) <br /><br />Re-read NOSLEEPs post <br />and add this, everytime you think about having a smoke just say to yourself "this isnt what I do anymore" and it really helps.. train the brain if you will.<br /><br />I have been doing this for 15 years. IE: This Saturday we will spend anywhere from 8 to 18 hours on Christmas day with my wifes family. Wont even want a smoke. <br /><br />My fishing partner has tried to quit for twenty years and at least 20 times. Not this time but the last time he is 5 foot 7" and 250 lbs. He quit and went on a diet and started exercising... went from 250 lbs to 180.. was really looking good .. then quit all of it(over a fight with his wife) and went back to smoking, went back to 250 lbs.. <br />This time he decieded to quit because he wanted to and said to heck with the weight gain.. and the added stuff.. quit first then worry about the weight.. he is now 5 months smoke free and starting last monday a new exercise program.<br /><br />Head set has a lot to do with it.<br />Luck to you

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I smoked from the time I was about 15 until I was 53. I had tried MANY times to quit and couldn't.. wouldn't. I had a heart attack when I was 45 and STILL kept smoking. I found out a couple of things. You have to WANT to quit smoking more than you want to keep smoking. If you don't really WANT to quit, you won't. Also when I finally quit, cold turkey, I realized that the craving for a smoke only lasted a short while at a time. So when that happened I involved myself in doing something else that occupied my mind and hands for a few minutes. I found out that I could get by THAT one point of desire by doing so... until the next one. It ain't easy y'all... but if you want to do it , you can. I haven't smoked for about 13 years now and didn't gain any significant amount of weight. Good luck to all who want to quit, and big congrats to all who have.

ndemge

Commander

Exactly. You have to tell yourself "I don't smoke any more" not, I'm TRYING to quit. No, you DID quit. The moment you decided to put them down is the exact moment you become a NON SMOKER, a NORMAL AIR BREATHING HUMAN. <br /><br />And the other reason I have finally succeeded? I've got you guys here that will kick my A$$ if I broke my promise to quit.<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by Link:<br /> FSHKPR<br /><br />Re-read NOSLEEPs post <br />and add this, everytime you think about having a smoke just say to yourself "this isnt what I do anymore" and it really helps.. train the brain if you will.<br />

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /><br /><br />
He quit all that and still died huh, no thanks I think I'll burn me one.<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />self edited...

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Link:<br /> FSHKPR<br /><br />Boy am I having a hard time not ripping "Clown Shoes/ aka spratt a new (A) hole as he left himself so open! " Just because I could and I know he would take it as jesting. :) <br /><br />But this is a serious post. You have got a lot of good advice here (including Clown Shoes) ;) <br /><br />
Go ahead if ya really want to Link, I can take it!!!

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

I smoked 34/35 years. Quit 8 years ago this New Year's day. I also quit many times in between for days or weeks.<br /><br />One common thread that is truth: You Must Want to Quit.<br /><br />Good luck.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I didn't see what you said spratt/flat but I can imigian (sp?) that it wasn't nice. I realize what I said what not right. I am sorry for that. It was a joke. Many people wate till they are too far gone to stop, and I never understand why. I will edit that part out.