quitting smoking

FSHKPR

Ensign
Okay my wife and i have decided to try and quit smoking once again. this will be my third attempt in the last 5 years. have tried everything before from hypnotism to the patch and the gum. usually make it a couple months then lose it. my biggest problem is i am already fat and cannot afford to gain another 10 or 20 pounds. any other ideas to make this a little easier with out a whole lot of weight gain?

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: quitting smoking

12.gif
<br />Good luck, I have failed a record 11 times in 40 years. Dam* the Marlboro Man anyway!

gaugeguy

Captain

Ndemge I believe is the most successful of the recent iboat's quit smoking club, almost a year for him. I am at about 8 months. I have actually lost a couple pounds since quitting. Drinking a ton of water and excercising more is what I have done. It is hard, no doubt about it, but if YOU WANT to quit it makes it easier.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would love to quit.We have been talking about doing the shock behind the ear treatment.We know a couple that did IT and said it worked for them.I'm very skeptical,I don't see how it could work.Has anyone done this,or done any research?I don't know what it's called,just that it cost about a $100.

FSHKPR

Ensign

wow fixin never heard of that. 100 bucks is nothing if it works but i am not sure i want to be shocked at all especially behind my ear.

spratt

Lieutenant

I feel so sorry for those who get addicted to tobacco...I never smoked, but I have sen a few friends who tried to quit and found it to bt the toughest addicition there is to quit, unless it is alcoholism...even a heroin addict can go cold turkey for a while and get it out of thier system easier than a tobacco addict, and I am not knocking anyone who has that addicition. I honestly feel for y'all, and what am going to say wil be taken wrong by some I am sure and some will say I am trying to force my beliefs down their craw, but that is the farthest thig from the truth...I am stating facts only that my personal experiences have proven and I have been involved with.<br /><br />I have seen many (at least a dozen) people who have given their life to God completely and been immediately delivered from tobacco, alcohol, and other addictions and never gone back to them, even after years later. My pastor who passed away in February smoked 3 packs of camels a day before he received God into his life, and he never had a desire to smoke again after that day. He also drank whiskey by the bottle, beer by the case, and he used to testify how God delivered him from all that in one fell swoop, immediately and completely. I have witnessed with my own eyes people who were heavy smokers, drinkers, druggers, sex addicts etc., who have prayed, received the Spirit of God in their life, and been completely delivered immediatlely to never want a smoke again. I have also sen people who wanted God, but didn't want to give up those addicitions, and God couldn't do anything with them, and they failed and turned their back on God rather than turn away from their vices...God doesn't force himself on anyone, he is such a gentleman.<br /><br />Please don't anyone turn this into something it is not...I simply read this post, heard someone asking for help, and offered the only and best avenue of assistance I know of. I have seen it proven too many times to not tell anyone about it.<br /><br />Fshkpr, I will pray that you are delivered, and I care...please keep your chin up, and if you fail, try again!!! If you ask God with a sincere desire, He WILL help!!!<br /><br />The best part of it all, is it is FREE!!!!

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like the Nike commercial says....<br /><br />JUST DO IT!!!! :D <br /><br />I did it. I quit cold turkey with nothing. No hypotist, no "patches", no gum, no anything. It's all willpower. Granted you will be a real **hole for about a week, but it will subside. You can do it!<br /><br />Butch A.

KaGee

Admiral

FIXIN...<br /><br />Me thinks that if the shock probe was inserted elsewhere... say.... lowe torso area... and operated automatically every time you lit up... it might prove more effective!! :D ;)

fixin

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> FIXIN...<br /><br />Me thinks that if the shock probe was inserted elsewhere... say.... lowe torso area... and operated automatically every time you lit up... it might prove more effective!! :D ;)
thk.gif
OUCH!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My dad has tried to quit for many many years. You have to want to quit more than anything. It is 100% willpower. He never truly wants to quit, how only quits because he knows his health will better. The cigs make him feel better mentally, so he never stops.<br /><br />You must ask yourself, do you truly want to quit, or are just quitting cause of reasons.<br /><br />Spratt what you have described is correct, you need a personality change in order to quit. Some do it through god, some do it through themselves.<br /><br />Ken

spratt

Lieutenant

Yes, Ken, I am very comfortable with that. A very close family friend had to have a Quadruple Bypass, and he quit smoking cold turkey when the Dr told him either quit or die. He chose to live. Some can do it!!!

ndemge

Commander

I am now on Day 355 Without so much as a single Drag.<br /><br /><br />I had tried to quit MANY times, having made it 6 months my longest before this time, the final time.<br /><br />The only reason I finally was able to quit, is from previous attempts, I learned the mind tricks my brain would play with me to get me to smoke. <br /><br />I quit on new years day. My last smoke was at 2am before going to bed. I had not really "Planned" a quit day. A couple days before hand decided I was going to do it. I was not ready, and I did not want to quit, but I knew I needed to, and I knew it was going to SUCK.<br /><br />It was hard, It was the hardest thing I've ever done. Constitly my brain would tell me "it's ok to have one, your doing good"... NO NO NO, stupid brain, go away.<br /><br />A week into it, your brain tries to get you to smoke to "reward" yourself.<br /><br />If your kid had a habbit of breaking windows with baseballs, and then went a week without breaking one, would you then had him a bat and say "good work jr, go break a window for doing such a good job no breaking windows" ....this is the exact moronic thinking our brains do to us.<br /><br />Being able to tell my stupid brain EVERY SINGLE TIME NO NO NO, I was able to make it.<br /><br />The first 4-5 months I ate a lot more, I gained 20 lbs. 6-8 months into it, the cravings finally have gone away, and now I am working on the weight. I have lost that 20 lbs now with South Beach, and now working on the other 30lbs I was already overweight before I even started all of this.<br /><br /><br />Do I miss smokes? Yes. <br /><br />Have I seen enough of my close family and friends die because of this? Yes.<br /><br />Do I want my kids to smoke? NO<br />I look at people that I know that smoke, all of their parents smoke.... look at families that don't, most of the kids don't either.<br /><br />If I were single, I probably wouldn't have never quit and died a horible death from it. <br />Now I can breath and can die some OTHER death, but at least I prevented this one.

spratt

Lieutenant

Great post, N...gosh, I can't imagine the torture of that lust for a smoke...it has got to be so easy to satisfy it, so much more than denying it. Congratulations a million times over for beating it...I hope you NEVER take it back up...one of the things my friend tole me that was his hardest, was when he was around his buddies that still smoked and would light up while he was there with them...

ndemge

Commander

Like I said,,,, I had failed many times in the past, and always for the same reason, I told myself "I've got this kicked, go ahead and have one"<br /><br />And that starts you right back up where you were.<br /><br />My sister quit for almost a year.... but she would let herself have one "when she drinks"... well, this turns into a casual evening smoke.... then "only when she's in the car".... etc etc...<br />She told herself that smoking these mini cigars that it wasn't a cigerette, so it was "ok"... she smokes 1/2 a pack a day of these things that are SO much more harsh than a cig.<br /><br />...I did the same thing a couple years ago trying to quit.... I'd smoke about 3 cigars a day, re-lighting them over and over. And if you've ever smoked cigarettes, you will inhale the cigar, giving you even MORE nicotene that just a cigarette. <br /><br />I smoked for 10 years. pack a day for the last 8, then 2 packs a day for the last year. <br /><br />I'm 25. When I turn 70, I can have a cigar to "celebrate" not smoking. Now my brain can calm down because I've told it when it will have it's next dose.

spratt

Lieutenant

Ahhh, no wonder you can control it!! You're only 25!!! Still young enough to be able to control your thoughts...I knew there was more to it :D :D :D

cmyers_uk

10 years given up, used the gum only way to control the weight gain is increase excercise or eat less. Its not easy but it is worth it. You must really want to do it if you can do 2 months <br />you have cracked the hardest part. Good luck

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The first time I quit smoking was because I was stuck in the hospital for a month or so. Can you believe they wouldn't push my bed and morphine drip outside so I could have a smoke every now and again?<br /><br />After I recovered, I was smoke free for about 2 years then met a woman who smoked. She got me hooked again then left me. <br /><br />Last time I quit was because I wanted to marry my wife, but she didn't like my smoking. So I saw my doctor and he prescribed Zyban. It worked for me. I think it works by blocking the part of the brain that tells you it's time to smoke. After a month or two, I stopped the Zyban and have never gone back. Have been smoke free since 1998.<br /><br />If everything else you tried has failed, it is really worth trying. <br /><br />Mark.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

You just can't try, you have to just quit. I went to a "quit smoking" group sponsored by the VA, when I saw the bunch of losers that I was there with, and one of, last time I ever smoked. just a thought :)

Devon

Cadet

I'm about 4 weeks into quitting chewing tobacco after a 25 year habit. The first few days were a living hell, then I found commit lozenges. Made the shaking hands settle down right away and cooled off my temper. I've weaned myself off of them and haven't looked back. Food tastes better, air smells cleaner, teeth are turning white again, and no brown stains on my fingers. Almost forgot, I don't bleed when I brush my teeth anymore. No way will I go back to that, did I tell you I was spending about $130 per month to do that to myself. I've got a boat to spend that money on...<br /><br />Devon

NOSLEEP

Commander

I am an x smoker. There are a few basics you must<br />over come before you can be successful.<br />1st..your desire to quit must outweigh your will<br />to smoke.<br />2nd... The easiest way to end a bad habit is to replace<br />it with a good habit. Pick one.<br />Good habits are the key to all success. Bad habits<br />are the unlocked door to failure. It is another<br />of natures laws that only a habit can subdue another<br />habit.<br />3rd.. To form a new habit you must repeat it<br />continuously for 30 days.<br />First thing in the morning when you rise. Tell<br />yourself out loud... "I hate smoking" and repeat.<br />Do this every time you feel the urge to smoke. <br />As the days pass you will reprogram your mind.<br />Bear in mind the urge to smoke will continue,<br />but in each passing day it will lesson.<br />Thus a new and good habit is born for when an act<br />becomes easy through constant repetition it<br />becomes a pleasure to perform and if it is a <br />pleasure to perform it is mans nature to perform<br />it often.<br />Anyway it worked great for me cold turkey.<br />I have neither the desire to smoke or a passing<br />urge and its been more than 15 years now.