Quicksilver grease - trailer and u-joints

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ok. I should have maybe read up on it a bit sooner. When I rebuild my trailer bearings and my u-joints I used the quicksilver extreme with ptfe in it. It states its ok to use for it.

Now here i see many saying it's bad because bearings might slip. So I used it for about 3 years. Should I change it out? Can I pump Lucas grease into the u-joints to get the quicksilver out? Or should I not worry about it?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... 2-4-C, should be used only in bushing type bearings, not rollers, needles, nor ball bearings,....

Bondo

Staff member
Ha ha...always thought your motto was "some grease is better than no grease"..... has that changed ? Lol...
Ayuh,...... Sorta,..... If the option was no grease, or 2-4-C, the squeaky part would see 2-4-C, regardless the type of bearing,.....

Especially considerin' the bearing would be tellin' you, it's way past time to change it, but workin' on it is easier at the shop, vs: the side of the road,.... ;)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Years ago, Mercury said 2-4-C was not usable in Wheel Bearings, but more recently I recall the Tubes saying it was usable. I can see somebody seeing that, and thinking "I got an old Tube of this back home...". A few weeks later they might be sitting on the Road, picking up little Pieces

flashback

Captain
I have some heavy black grease l have used for years on the gear wheel on my lift, probably a chassis grease and it has kept the lift nice and quiet..
No label on the can just a big wad of grease!

Bondo

Staff member
I have some heavy black grease l have used for years on the gear wheel on my lift, probably a chassis grease and it has kept the lift nice and quiet..
No label on the can just a big wad of grease!
Ayuh,..... Me too,..... Black, 'n the greasest grease I've ever seen,....

An ole Bud, bought it somewhere 'cause it's an ole steel bucket, with a faded Texico paint label,.....
After it's bottom started to fail, 'n ooze out grease, he left it in fronta my shop door, where it sat for some years,.....

When I was cleanin' up, 'n paintin' my propane tanks at the house for the stove, 'n dryer, I figured if I painted the bottoms of the tanks with grease, inside the base ring, They won't rust out,.....
So I pulled the lid off the ole bucket, 'n slathered the bases of my tanks with this nasty sticky greasy gooy snotty black ship,......

Years later, when I moved back to Maine, I brought the set-up with me,....
They're outside my window now,.....
'n the bottoms of the tanks have never rusted, 'n are still covered with this nasty sticky greasy gooy snotty black ship,...... As fresh as the day it was poured into the Texico bucket,....

No Doubt, the Best grease I've ever seen, as it don't dry out, 'n cake up like all the chassis grease I get today,.....
I've still got 'bout 1/3rd of a pail of it, down at my shop,..... keep some available with a chip-brush, for slatherin' up things I want to move, or to protect from weather,..... :)

Donno what the 'ell it is,.... other than by Texico,.....

flashback

Captain
If your ship is like my ship I'm guessing it has tons of graphite in it. It probably came out of a tar pit somewhere!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Ayuh,..... Me too,..... Black, 'n the greasest grease I've ever seen,....

An ole Bud, bought it somewhere 'cause it's an ole steel bucket, with a faded Texico paint label,.....
After it's bottom started to fail, 'n ooze out grease, he left it in fronta my shop door, where it sat for some years,.....

When I was cleanin' up, 'n paintin' my propane tanks at the house for the stove, 'n dryer, I figured if I painted the bottoms of the tanks with grease, inside the base ring, They won't rust out,.....
So I pulled the lid off the ole bucket, 'n slathered the bases of my tanks with this nasty sticky greasy gooy snotty black ship,......

Years later, when I moved back to Maine, I brought the set-up with me,....
They're outside my window now,.....
'n the bottoms of the tanks have never rusted, 'n are still covered with this nasty sticky greasy gooy snotty black ship,...... As fresh as the day it was poured into the Texico bucket,....

No Doubt, the Best grease I've ever seen, as it don't dry out, 'n cake up like all the chassis grease I get today,.....
I've still got 'bout 1/3rd of a pail of it, down at my shop,..... keep some available with a chip-brush, for slatherin' up things I want to move, or to protect from weather,..... :)

Donno what the 'ell it is,.... other than by Texico,.....
sounds like the same grease I was given by a service tech for UPS .I did some business with a tech for UPS and we got to talking about servicing and he told me about a grease that was made specifically for UPS trucks because of the type of extremely high usage of the trucks.Promised me a tube and I still have some of that badboy 40 years later. sounds like the same black grease you mentioned.i will have to dig up the tube and report back the name on it.Charlie

dubs283

Vice Admiral
is the 2-4-c the same as the extreme grease?

They are not the same, however quicksilver extreme grease is acceptable for trailer wheel bearings

Mercury came out with the extreme grease about 10 years ago to replace the u joint and gimbal bearing grease and the engine coupler spline grease with one type "universal" grease. Reason being is many boat owners (with access to mercnet and the customer inquiry function) complained about all the different types of grease needed for their application. Mercury complied with the extreme grease

I really don't care that I have to use it, I just wish they hadn't stopped selling special 101. By far the best grease for water repelling and specific applications. I know they still use it in factory, have seen it in places on new packages, they're just keeping it for themselves.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Mobil 1 Synthetic grease. It's all I use these days for wheel bearings. Its also less than $7/tube at Rockauto.

The important thing is that the grease is NLGI 2 rated which the Quicksilver is

Scott06

Vice Admiral
You are fine using extreme grease on wheel bearings here is a screen shot of the tube this superseded the 2-4-C and combined the functions of another grease they sold for bearings into one grease. 1685450077915.png

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
You are fine using extreme grease on wheel bearings here is a screen shot of the tube this superseded the 2-4-C and combined the functions of another grease they sold for bearings into one grease. View attachment 380236
thanks. just wanted to make sure since I read the ptfe causes issues. I put about 2500miles on the trailer and haven't had any problems