Quicksilver 3000 throttle control button install

Dsoko9221

Cadet
I have a Quicksilver 3000 that had a bad throttle control button. The first time I tried to reinstall the button, it didn’t work properly. I am back to the point of putting a new button back on it. Any tips for the best way to install it? Throttle position, etc. Everything else works . I can depress the mechanism behind it so if I get it right , it should work. Thank you in advance for any ideas for how to do it.

Dsoko9221

Cadet
Put handle in full WOT position and then install
Thank you for your response. I have one question. Does the knob need to sit a certain way when I put the throttle to WO? Does the notch need to be vertical or matched to the the throttle lever position?

alldodge

Staff member
Move forward without touching the throttle only button. It should be able to be removed

alldodge

Staff member
Each can be different, I wouldn't know without looking at it my self. Look at the opening and see if there is something that may show which way

Fun Times

Staff member
It’s suggested by the Service manual to leave the handle straight up in neutral to put the button in… To take the button out goes wide-open in order to not to break the button…

To the best of my recollection there isn’t really a setting to put the button back in… just push it in and maybe give it a small twist but shouldn’t really be needed of twisting as it just pops in kind of with a click sound.

Dsoko9221

Cadet
It’s suggested by the Service manual to leave the handle straight up in neutral to put the button in… To take the button out goes wide-open in order to not to break the button…

To the best of my recollection there isn’t really a setting to put the button back in… just push it in and maybe give it a small twist but shouldn’t really be needed of twisting as it just pops in kind of with a click sound.

Thank you. For your help and the link to the manual. I have reinstalled the button. All good there. Next issue … the transmission is stuck in no man’s land. Not quite in gear, not in neutral. The button will not completely depress, and the transmission lever will not shift into gear, forward or reverse. Any & all help is appreciated.

Fun Times

Staff member
What stern drive type/model name or transmission plus year does your boat have?

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, what Trans
Sounds like cable needs to be adjusted

Dsoko9221

Cadet

Thank you. For your help and the link to the manual. I have reinstalled the button. All good there. Next issue … the transmission is stuck in no man’s land. Not quite in gear, not in neutral. The button will not completely depress, and the transmission lever will not shift into gear, forward or reverse. Any & all help is appreciated.
What stern drive type/model name or transmission plus year does your boat have?
How do I find this info? Mercury Force 40 motor, 1998. I’m guessing the Quicksilver 3000 is original also.

Dsoko9221

Cadet
Agree, what Trans
Sounds like cable needs to be adjusted
You could be correct. I think I’ll have to take out & reinstall the throttle control button. It will not completely depress like it did before all this. We rebuilt the control box & cleaned some burrs etc. I am going the remove the button & try to make the lever shift correctly to see if there is an issue inside the box. It appeared to work as it should when I reassembled it. I’ll check back for yours & Fun Times’ help after I dig into it again. Thank you for your help.

Dsoko9221

Cadet
I have a different problem now. Reinstalled control box. The transmission lever is not working correctly. The action is reversed. Move lever forward, it goes into reverse, and vice versa. Took it apart again, there doesn’t appear to be a way to rotate anything 180 degrees. The throttle control button is sticking and not disengaging properly. Help!

alldodge

Staff member
Its all controlled in the shifter
Didn't happen to swap the cables maybe?
Put in throttle only to see if it gives throttle of shifts