quick start ?

plugger

Petty Officer 3rd Class
on a cold start pump the bulb,key in<br />to choke Turn:....start<br /><br />Now ive seen the yard mechanic advance the throtle with the neutral safty depressed,for what he termed a quick start <br />is this corect ?<br />is there more to it

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: quick start ?

What I do is pump till rock hard, advance throttle (I have a seperate throttle advance, but you get the picture), turn key to get motor cranking, and then apply choke if need be. Mine usually starts without choke, but other motors I have had need choke. Once running, bring the throttle back down so it is running at around 1000-1200 rpms. Mine will not cold start without the throttle advanced. Let it run a few minutes at high idle to get everything good and warmed up, and have a good ol' time.

mattttt25

Commander

do you stomp on the gas pedal several times and for several minutes when you start your car? it's my opinion that if your engine is in any decent condition, you don't need to advance the throttle. my engine regularly takes a few turns of the key, but once it starts, it runs fine.

sloopy

Commander

The instructions you provided will start almost any boat, the only thing you left out was "turning on the blower". This is a normal start, unless you consider a normal start to be cranking the engine for five minutes with no advanced throttle.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you happen to have a Fiuel Injected outboard like most cars are, then no you don't need to advance the throttle one bit. My 84 F-150 needed to have the peddle pushed one time clear to the floor and released, then she would start right up and so does my Merc 140 (79), it might start without the choke or advancing the throttle, but that would be a hell of a lot more cranking and harder on the starter.<br /><br />Something to think about.<br /><br />Craig