Quick question about 1985 Winner Escape 17'

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

I've been browsing this forum for awhile trying to learn and see how everyone else has been restoring their decks and it's been pretty informative. I'm new to boats so I don't know the correct terminology for everything on the boat yet but I will one of these days. One question I have is there are two "beams" that are on the inside of the boat. The beams look like they're just a beam of wood fiberglassed to the inside of the hull. When I was pulling the floor, i notice there was some rotted wood coming from underneath of it. Do I have to remove these beams? What exactly are these beams for? Thanks

Attachments

• 8333.jpg
    8333.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 8334.jpg
    8334.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: Quick question about 1985 Winner Escape 17'

these main beams are called stringers. and they are the support for the floor, or deck. sounds like they are rotten, so yes, they will have to be removed. i was lucky enough to be able to remove a couple of mine in one piece so i could use it for a model for new ones. some of these stringers were made from plywood, others, like mine, 2x4 boards. good luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions. this is a great forum.

tallcanadian

Captain

i also jumped the gun here. i didn't look at your pictures, sorry. these side boxes are used for a storage area for items such as paddles, skis,etc. you can also fill them with flotation foam. i made mine from plywood and glassed them to the sides and floor of the boat. you can see all this on my build. just follow the link for photobucket.

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

hey thanks for the reply tallcanadian...

i thought my stringers were the white 'plastic or fiberglass" thats on the bottom of the boat and not the side of the boat..

In the pictures, i have the area in question circled...it looks pretty solid so I was wondering if it helped brace the hull. If it does brace the hull, I'll probably leave them as is (unless I have to replace them).

someone suggested i brace the boat..the boat is already on a trailer which i figured would keep the shape of the hull. Do i have to strap the "top" of the boat so it doesn't "flatten" out while working on the floor?

tallcanadian

Captain

i did my rebuild on the trailer as well. i did put a strap on it when i did the floor and side boxes. not sure if i had to but i didn't want to take any chances. it was enough doing what i was doing, didn't want to add any more to my work.,..lol. great looking boat by the way.