Quick Guage, Solenoid/Switch Wiring Questions..

watsbobton

Cadet
Got 78 OMC Tilt & Selectrim. All my motors/solenoids are wired/getting power. The both ends of wiring harness were pretty rough. Trying to neaten things up, I lost a few connections/labels and I just need some simple reminders on wirings. I'll include some pictures on what I believe I need. Basically going to rewire guages/switches to harness.

--So for the tilt/trim. The small screw should recieve 12v power to activate solenoid? Is my diagram correct for a switch? (Pic 1)

--For wiring guages.. One for +, one for ground, one to recieve? And wire them in sequence? (Pic 2)

--The 12v of power comes in through harness.. which goes to switch? Again ground.. power.. and 3rd for starter (12v to solenoid?) (Pic 3)

The last issue I have.. I finally got this thing to start, and run great.. but that is with me jumping 12v to the ign coil.. I believe this is due to ungrounded, or problem with key wiring, so hopefully this will fix. If it does not, can I wire 12v to coil from a switch? or is that basically what the key will be doing?

I appreciate the help, I'm pretty handy and not completely useless with electrics, but not an expert.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• photo222970.png
    photo222970.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo222971.png
    photo222971.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo222972.png
    photo222972.png
    8 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Picture #1 is not likely correct. You do not connect a ground to most switches unless they have an internal light. In your example of the three terminal switch, moving the switch one way would activate the solenoid because 12 volts is fed to the solenoid and ground is achieved by the metal shell of the solenoid. If you move the switch the other way, +12 and ground are connected and you make sparks. So NO! That diagram is not correct. Picture #2 is ok. +12 volts comes from the "I" position on the ignition switch. Just so you know, you do NOT power accessories from the instrument circuit. There should be a totally separate circuit (#8 or #10) from the battery to the helm to power radios, locators, pumps, etc. That circuit feeds the switches. Picutre #3 is also incorrect since there is no ground wire connected to the ignition switch on an I/O. "B" is the +12 feed from the battery via the engine harness. "I" is the ignition terminal which connects +12 volts to the ignition system and the gauges. "S" is the starter terminal which feeds +12 volts to the starter solenoid.

watsbobton

Cadet
No Title

Thanks Silvertip, just the info I was looking for. I think I have it right (pictured below)

Attachments

• photo223153.png
    photo223153.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 1