Quick and easy lunches when out on the water

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry if this is the wrong forum

We are going on vacation for two weeks and are looking for quick and easy lunches/snacks that we can eat while out on the water. We have just sandwiches but looking for something besides that for two weeks. We don't have a way to hear anything up so it would have to be something chilled.

wjats your ideas??

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Seriously- go buy a round Magma grill and a mount, then take some steaks, burgers, dogs, corn on the cob... You WILL wonder what you ever did without it. Money very well spent.

And since it's for vacation, it's also very easily justified. :)
magma.jpg

Last edited:

ziggy

Admiral
cheeze and crackers. ritz or club crackers. generally keeps me from looking for a latrine real soon after eating..... which imho is something worth considering... also if ya do one club cracker or with ritz even two crackers. ya can eat it in one bite. one bite don't make a mess w/ cracker crumbs all over the boat.... also something worth considering imho......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Cheese/crackers/grapes/wine, sandwiches, ceviche and crackers, fruit salad, various pasta salads.

Hotdogs wrapped in aluminum foil, cooked on the intake manifold while you tool around
Then again, get the magnum grill.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
We take sliced strawberries, laughing cow cheese and bagel crisps. The admiral eats those... I eat beef jerky, sausage snack sticks and wash em down with beer.

Bkok33

Seaman
Beefy jerky, veggies, fruit, also like using the laughing cow cheese on lettuce then cheese plus meat. One of our favorites.

southkogs

Staff member
Hotdogs wrapped in aluminum foil, cooked on the intake manifold while you tool around
... soooooooo tempted to try it out ...

Fruit, sandwiches, cheese, chips, fried chicken ... we've had some chicken sausages that weren't bad cold after you cooked 'em, so we take them sometimes. We're not usually out long enough to worry about eating too much, so we have pretty small meals on the boat.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Sorry if this is the wrong forum

We don't have a way to hear anything up so it would have to be something chilled.

Sure you do. I have a single-burner propane stove that I keep on the boat. I've used it in the cockpit when I didn't want to bother with the alcohol cooktop in the galley There are really small, light and compact butane burners, too. And a 2-burner camp stove can be ticked away anywhere.

My .02

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Stick balogna (whack off what you want), cheese, crackers, a bag of grapes, apples, oranges, berries, and if you really miss coffee and fried stuff, Coleman makes a nice two-burner stove that holds the propane cylinder (the little green ones) and makes a nice neat package. We have a small bin with a cutting board, sharp knife, plastic utensils, napkins and wet wipes for cleanup. There are lots of options for food. Just walk around the store and look for ideas.

thumpar

Admiral
I have the little Coleman white gas 2 burner stove. The tank packs up into the stove and is easy to store. Take lots of fruit. When I am on the boat I don't get thirsty so I eat lots of watermelon to stay hydrated. Crackers and spray cheese will stay good for a long time. I always pack lots of lunchmeat and just snack on it. Oh and don't forget the beer. ;)

rlamothe

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

That's how we do it

Attachments

• photo247574.jpg
    photo247574.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seriously- go buy a round Magma grill and a mount, then take some steaks, burgers, dogs, corn on the cob... You WILL wonder what you ever did without it. Money very well spent.

And since it's for vacation, it's also very easily justified. :)
magma.jpg

This is just awesome..

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We usually bring water melon (cut into cubes in a Tupperware container), salsa and chips and drinks if going out for the afternoon. For a meal, fried chicken and potato salad is good. I also like BLT wraps or chicken salad.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is just awesome..

Yes, I have to throw my vote in for mounting a magma, or a kumma, or any other brand grill on the boat. You will never regret it. I can't remember the last time I had my boat out when I didn't use my magma. And you don't need a huge boat or a cruiser to put one on. Here's my well worn 17" party size kettle grill mounted on a swivel socket mount to my swim platform:

image_zpssqsvwn5k.jpeg

image_zpsimnr8tq8.jpeg

Single best thing I ever did to my boat.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have only done this once, but it worked out really well. We bought a nice chuck roast, and cooked it in a pressure cooker with some beef broth, onion soup mix, fresh garlic, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and anything else that looked tasty in the spice cabinet. About 45 minutes later, its all ready, just shredded it and put it in a container.

Took some fresh rolls, hollowed out the center, and loaded it with provolone and some horseradish. They were awesome... better than the typical lunch meat sandwich, easy to eat, and we were able to keep the meat hot until dinner time. I think we made some potato or macaroni salad to go with it too.

I know its still a "sandwich", but it was good eating, and not a lot of work.

You could do this in a crock pot too, but will take a lot longer. The pressure cooker makes it something we can whip up pretty quickly on boating days.

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, I have to throw my vote in for mounting a magma, or a kumma, or any other brand grill on the boat. You will never regret it. I can't remember the last time I had my boat out when I didn't use my magma. And you don't need a huge boat or a cruiser to put one on. Here's my well worn 17" party size kettle grill mounted on a swivel socket mount to my swim platform:

Single best thing I ever did to my boat.

Do you just leave it mounted where it's at?

To change the subject a little.. Is the orange cord there to charge the battery? That would be so helpful if that is the case.