Questions regarding tow vehicle

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
no need for a WD hitch below 6k
My F-150 has a the OEM hitch that is rated for 500# TW and 5000# total towing weight. Anything higher is recommended to be a WDH.

I use a WDH with my boat which is likely 6800# total with a 650# tongue weight.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My F-150 has a the OEM hitch that is rated for 500# TW and 5000# total towing weight.
Surprised you didn’t get a Class 4 hitch?

Thought it was standard with the tow package?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Surprised you didn’t get a Class 4 hitch?

Thought it was standard with the tow package?
It may be called a class IV hitch but those are the ratings. On the sticker it actually says V-5

I thought about it but I found the exact same hitch I use for my travel trailer which is the E4 Equilizer for less than a different receiver and it tows WAY better with the WDH than without.

Attachments

• PXL_20201229_224852352.jpg
    PXL_20201229_224852352.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 4

TheguyDirk

Cadet
Gasoline weighs 6#/gallon. How big is your tank?
40gal I believe. I was wrong I used 8-10lbs per gallon. (So actually only 240lbs in fuel)

I’m not going to try to tag everyone but WD hitches have crossed my mind but haven’t delved into that much. Figured air bags would be better for all around use.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It may be called a class IV hitch but those are the ratings. On the sticker it actually says V-5

I thought about it but I found the exact same hitch I use for my travel trailer which is the E4 Equilizer for less than a different receiver and it tows WAY better with the WDH than without.
Good catch… mine says the same thing
It seems class 4 is rated for use with WD as well as #5K “bumper” pull

TheguyDirk

Cadet
if your tongue weight is that light, I am going with the whole boat is rocking fore/aft over the CG and lifting/bucking against the truck in addition other things

too little tongue weight and the trailer becomes unstable and wags side-to-side
Hi Scott, I wanted to check on some of your advice. I did try to rock my boat back and forth on the trailer from back to front with not much happening. But with me being able to lift I’m wondering if I have to little tongue weight as you mentioned and I might be feeling reverse bucking? My tires are all on the low end in the cool night but are all equal so I’ll note to check the tire pressures before actually driving.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Bouncing, lifting, jumping, and guessing are extremely poor ways to analyze and solve a problem.
Take your rig to a scale and weigh it. Feedmills, scrap yards, lumber yards, and quarries have them and will often let you use it for free. Or, go to a truck stop and pay the small fee. Then you will have some facts to work with.
There's no way your boat and trailer weight 6,000 pounds. I tow a 2004 23' Rinker bowrider on a tandem trailer with a 75 gallon fuel tank and dual batteries. With the gas tank full, cooler full, tubes, skis, etc the whole thing, trailer and all, weights 6,500 pounds on a CAT scale.
The shocks on your truck were crap from the factory. After this many years they are even worse. Replace them with heavy duty shocks. You probably have more tongue weight than necessary. See if you can slide the trailer wheels forward to take off some tongue weight.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
The role of shocks, to control bouncing when hitting bumps.
To test: Unloaded vehicle, push with foot up and down on back bumper. It should come up and stop bouncing. If it goes up and down a few times then shocks are worn.

The role of springs, to hold the weight and prevent to much sag or bottoming out.
To test: When trailer attached does the rear of vehicle squat a lot or a little?

Air bags, they just increase and help the springs carry a weight load. They won't totally help with excess bouncing (will some) and won't help with sway.

Yes it is very important to have the weight (load) of a trailer properly balanced for proper safe towing. But what happens if you can't get that set just right? Weight distribution hitch with added sway bar.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe there's a landfill nearby - they usually have scales they'll let you use - or negotiate a very small fee, or free because it might be too much to figure out how to take your money

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes it is very important to have the weight (load) of a trailer properly balanced for proper safe towing. But what happens if you can't get that set just right? Weight distribution hitch with added sway bar.
Even with a WDH you need a proper amount of tongue weight. Should be between 7% to 10% on a tandem boat trailer.

My WDH doesn't need a separate sway control bar...it's built into the design of the hitch. It will also work with surge brakes since it is not a chain type equilizing hitch.

If you want to get it weighed, get the CAT scale app and go to a CAT scale. They are all over the place.

If you want to weigh the tongue, buy a sherline scale. That's what I use.

Here is a picture of mine measuring the tongue weight on my boat

Attachments

• PXL_20210111_194133652-453x604.jpg
    PXL_20210111_194133652-453x604.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: