Questions regarding pulling the Outdrive

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
313
I have a 2001 Merc with an Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive that has ~130 hrs on it. (I've had it for 2 seasons) I pulled the outdrive for the first time as I was winterizing and had a few questions:

1) From reading the forum, it sound like it is common to pull your outdrive. Is it necessary to replace all gaskets/o-rings every time you pull it (every season)?
2) When you pull the drive, how do you grease the u-joints? I didn't see any grease fittings on the u-joints?

Thanks!
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Questions regarding pulling the Outdrive

1) From reading the forum, it sound like it is common to pull your outdrive. Is it necessary to replace all gaskets/o-rings every time you pull it (every season)?

It's an absolute MUST, unless you want water where it shouldn't be. The gasket kits for the job is only 8 bucks or less.

2) When you pull the drive, how do you grease the u-joints? I didn't see any grease fittings on the u-joints?
Some have plugs that can be removed and zirks installed, some don't have anything and are not greaseable.
 

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
313
Re: Questions regarding pulling the Outdrive

Thanks Don.

I have seen u-joints with fitting, but didn't see any on these. Just wanted to be sure.
 

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
27,468
Re: Questions regarding pulling the Outdrive

These uni-joints have a special grease in them, costs like $500/lb... Don't try to put grease in them. It's made in Germany... and I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

Chris........
 
Top