Questions concerning 1987 Evinrude 110 HP VRO

Neotrion

Cadet
I just recently purchased this engine that was on an astroglass boat. I am currently going through the engine and noticed oil in on the plugs. I asked the previous owner what kind of oil he was using and he stated he was using 4 cycle oil. I believe this is a 2 cycle engine. Am I correct? What will I need to do in order to correct this issue to go back to 2 cycle oil?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just more proof that 2 stroke outboards and oil / lubrication of them is a mystery to some folks.----Yes it is a 2 stroke engine.------Just start using TCW-III oil in the oil tank.-----Wait now.-------Is the VRO oil injection unit in service , bypassed or do not know ??----And my advice is always the same.---Do a compression test and post the numbers.-----Install a new water pump impeller before launching the boat.

Neotrion

Cadet
I believe it is working. I see no evidence of bypass and I can say that the gas in the tank had no oil added to it since I had to replace the sending unit. I have already taken the boat out so the water pump works. When I took the spark plugs out and saw some oil I figured this is most likely due to using 4 cycle. The engine did run fine but I am seeing oil on certain parts of the engine. I am wondering if this was due to the use of the 4 cycle and it being exhausted unburned. I have experience in automotive but outboards are a new world to me. I am going over a manual I just downloaded. What type of lower oil do you recommend?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Just more proof that 2 stroke outboards and oil / lubrication of them is a mystery to some folks.----Yes it is a 2 stroke engine.------Just start using TCW-III oil in the oil tank.-----Wait now.-------Is the VRO oil injection unit in service , bypassed or do not know ??----And my advice is always the same.---Do a compression test and post the numbers.-----Install a new water pump impeller before launching the boat.
This mystery is often addressed, but never explained. Wanna take a stab?