Questions about starting a marine repair business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahall8799

Cadet
I am currently an electrician in the Coast Guard. I currently do a lot of work on 29' meta sharks and 25' foot Boston Whalers. I plan to start a marine electrical and mechanical repair business when my contract is up in a few years. I am enrolling in school for a business degree with a concentration in entrepreneurship and while I do a small amount of engine work in my job will be taking a outboard servicing class at my local community college. I have googled most of theses questions but cant always find an answer or find conflicting answers.
1. Will I need to get a license to do electrical work on boats in the private sector?
2. I'm looking for advice and resources for determining service pricing.
3. I'm also looking for resources for determining pay for a mechanic(I plan to start by hiring one)
4. Where would I find any regulations there might be on marine repair businesses?
5. For those who own marine repair business' if I could get some advice as far as how much the start up cost would be.
6. Advice for getting my first customers.
7. Any learning or schools I should do.
8. Any other advice I may not have thought to ask for or you just feel like sharing.

Thank you in advance for any responses!

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is lots of demand for service.----Just hard for a start-up to get in on the action.----Once spoke to a shop owner who said.------Folks line up to pay $20 / gallon for coffee.----Yet they grumble at $80 / hr for skilled service / repair work.----Many shops charge more to cover overhead.

Ahall8799

Cadet
There is lots of demand for service.----Old time service shops have trouble dealing with the ----"I want it done by the weekend crowd "
Ok, good to know. I'll definitely have to find a good efficiency a focus among myself and any employees I may have. Thanks for your feed back!

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ever think of starting a mobile outboard service biz? You can start with a lower overhead by working out of a truck while you learn the game. Where are you located? Here in So. Cal. someone is always asking for a reliable mechanic. Most of the shops are booked up most of the year around here.

Ahall8799

Cadet
Ever think of starting a mobile outboard service biz? You can start with a lower overhead by working out of a truck while you learn the game. Where are you located? Here in So. Cal. someone is always asking for a reliable mechanic. Most of the shops are booked up most of the year around here.
Not a bad idea I had thought about that, I would need to do some more research on the market where I plan to start up. I plan to open in NC or SC. still looking at areas at the moment. I'd also thought about adding dockside repairs to the business as a service option for a little more cost. I'm also considering boat pick up and drop off for an added cost but I'd just have to look at insurance options as far as that goes.

tpenfield

Staff member
1. Will I need to get a license to do electrical work on boats in the private sector? No, not that I am aware of. Just be mindful and compliant with SAE J1171 standards. Do have insurance.
2. I'm looking for advice and resources for determining service pricing.
3. I'm also looking for resources for determining pay for a mechanic (I plan to start by hiring one) Pay everyone $100K, that way there is pay equity and no hard feelings. . . j/k 🤪
4. Where would I find any regulations there might be on marine repair businesses? USCG, NMMA, ABYC are good to know. Your local state gov't may have some motor vehicle repair regs/consumer protection laws that also apply to recreational vehicles/boats.
5. For those who own marine repair business' if I could get some advice as far as how much the start up cost would be.
6. Advice for getting my first customers. Offer 1/2 price of typical costs.
7. Any learning or schools I should do. Mercury has some certifications . . . there are probably others.
8. Any other advice I may not have thought to ask for or you just feel like sharing. Everyone seems to have a horror story about a boat mechanic . . . don't be one of those. If I were to do such a business, I'd offer drive-thru winterization days and emergency service on weekends. Inventory of parts will be costly, and it may take a while to know what to have on-hand and what to order as needed.

Earl Cordova

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree that a mobile service might be an option.
I used a mobile boat repair guy that would fix the everyday things at your place and if it was major, take it to his place.
The only reason I quit using him was he got so busy,
his waiting list was a lot longer than the dealer I purchased my boat from.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Mobile service is a great idea. Probably the cheapest way to get into the biz. I would be willing to bet you would be overwhelmed with customers in short order. Probably wouldn't take long and you could run multiple trucks if you so desired. You just need a parts supplier... I know in the RV biz mobile companies are in high demand...

Ahall8799

Cadet
Thank you for your response, and I love the format you put it in. I'll be sure to look into all of it. :)

Ahall8799

Cadet
Mobile service is a great idea. Probably the cheapest way to get into the biz. I would be willing to bet you would be overwhelmed with customers in short order. Probably wouldn't take long and you could run multiple trucks if you so desired. You just need a parts supplier... I know in the RV biz mobile companies are in high demand...
Thank you for the response. I'm definitely thinking more about starting out mobile. My Dad mentioned about joining the local chamber of commerce would be a good resource to help get the business going as well.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You need the COC for your insurance. Nobody can survive without a group plan.

My mobile guy was great. Did a fantastic job and his prices were good. Then, he got a huge clientele.

Then, he saw the light and raised his prices to be competitive. Still got good business. Then got so big he couldn't service his loyal base. Then because of the higher prices and long service times, he lost business and now isn't doing so well.

You need to have lots of parts in stock and the ability to service several different brands. And of course, be prepared to save a lot of money because you won't work all Winter long.

After 25 years with my mobile guy I switched to a brick and mortar dealer and am now getting better service than before.

Ahall8799

Cadet
You need the COC for your insurance. Nobody can survive without a group plan.

My mobile guy was great. Did a fantastic job and his prices were good. Then, he got a huge clientele.

Then, he saw the light and raised his prices to be competitive. Still got good business. Then got so big he couldn't service his loyal base. Then because of the higher prices and long service times, he lost business and now isn't doing so well.

You need to have lots of parts in stock and the ability to service several different brands. And of course, be prepared to save a lot of money because you won't work all Winter long.

After 25 years with my mobile guy I switched to a brick and mortar dealer and am now getting better service than before.
Thanks for the response! Was it price and/or availability that made you switch from your old repair guy or something else? Also what are somethings you like about your current repair shop?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for the response! Was it price and/or availability that made you switch from your old repair guy or something else? Also what are somethings you like about your current repair shop?
I dealt with the guy for 25 years. In later years he worked so much that he didn't have time to answer his phone. It took sometimes weeks to get an appointment.

My dealer takes 1-2 weeks and the boat has to sit outside in his parking lot while I wait. Nevertheless, its done right every time and they communicate any time I want to.

I loved the fact that he came to my house and serviced the boat in the garage. But it was always a 2 day job. One day to diagnose and take it apart, and then another day to come back and finish after he picked up the parts.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I dealt with the guy for 25 years. In later years he worked so much that he didn't have time to answer his phone. It took sometimes weeks to get an appointment.

My dealer takes 1-2 weeks and the boat has to sit outside in his parking lot while I wait. Nevertheless, its done right every time and they communicate any time I want to.

I loved the fact that he came to my house and serviced the boat in the garage. But it was always a 2 day job. One day to diagnose and take it apart, and then another day to come back and finish after he picked up the parts.
Sounds like he bit off more than he could chew. Too many customers. Needed another truck with employees, but that brings about other issues... Or, take on only so many jobs that he can handle..... Gotta know when to say no.....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like he bit off more than he could chew. Too many customers. Needed another truck with employees, but that brings about other issues... Or, take on only so many jobs that he can handle..... Gotta know when to say no.....
He's still in business, so I guess he makes enough money to live. Maybe I was naive to think that he would do better for an old customer.

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Word of mouth is your best advertising ,
Getting off the ground will the challenge , Boaters talk too other boaters ,
Any good boat mechanic busy all the time ,
Suggustion, - Run small adds in free boating publications - ones in bait shops or West Marine , - . Hit up marinas that dont offer reapair
A beautiufl colorfull logo on your vehicle is your advertising
Last marina in Fl offered storage , in /out, wet , hauling of boats onto trailers or DIY section of yard , Offered hourly pulling of engines , but boat owner had too have engine ready too go including chains ,
THey made a decision too get out of repair business
allowed outside mechanics on property working on customers boats ,
Pass background , carry million insurance , legit business , they charged a daily entry fee that repair person passed on too boater.

Craigslist is a waist
Anybody can run Free adds on Craigslist. How great I AM , No way too verify ,
Show up late ,beater cars , flip flops , carry no insurance , no inventory , looking like crap , Needing money for parts , no credit cards ,
Cash only
Never fails in boating section of Craigslist WARNING to boaters ,
DONT USE ( JOE BLOW ,) HE RUNS ADDS ON CRAIGSLIST , took my money too get parts never returning , Or does a crappy job , your calling for him too return but never answers phone ,
treat it LIKE A BUSINESS , if not you are Shade Tree Mechanic .
A shop or dealer has overhead , workman comp insurance , buidling insuance , boat insurance , gas, electric, phone, building rent , inventory
costly tools , items too sell . HUGE behind the scenes expenses
So they have charge $ 125.00 hour
Nothing wrong working out of a truck , MOBILE , just treat it like a business
Mobile guy I use works out of Chevy van .
He knows were every nut & bolt is , very orginized , over packed with items , Got too empty 1/2 the van too find something ,
You have too budget a set up ,
I like the look a trailer offers , A mobile shop , with tools , MIght be over kill , just looks professional
Carry Inventory of basic items , filters , belts, oil ,
Carry insurance , Show it , incase you get hurt on somebodies boat on their property
Take credit cards
answer phone , ( dont let it go voice mail ) if it does , follow up , Dont leave
a customer hanging , SHow respect for your business , yourself , customer
A mobile person working out of truck / trailer has over head but nothing compared too a dealer shop , Price your labor too reflect that
I will never use a mobile guy that charges same as a shop ,
$ 75 - $ 90 bucks an hour is average

GOOD LUCK in your dream

Status
Not open for further replies.