Questions about possible water in pontoon tubes

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
76
While looking at my 1999 SunTracker, Fishin' Barge iI noticed what I think is a condensation line near the bottom of each tube while looking at it from the rear. The line on the left tube seems to be 2 inches up from the bottom and the line on the right tube seems to be about 4 inches up from the bottom.

First question:

Is there a way to check and see if there is liquid in the tubes and is there a way to fix this if there is? I am aware of the plug on the approximate top center of each tube.

Second question:

Is there foam in the tubes or are they empty?

Thank you for any assistance.
Tom
 

The Rooster

Ensign
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
936
Re: Questions about possible water in pontoon tubes

Tubes should be empty Tom. Suntracker did not use foam in their construction. Can you hook boat to truck and start & stop while listening for sloshing noise within the tubes ? If so, need to drain, pressure check w/ no more than 5 psi of air to find the leaks, then have competent aluminum welder fix. Good luck !!!
 

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
5,516
Re: Questions about possible water in pontoon tubes

When I pull mine out I stop on the ramp if its empty and it normals is and while the boat is tilted and I tap on the back of the toons and listen mine has a ringing tone that tells me their empty.
 

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
76
Re: Questions about possible water in pontoon tubes

Thank you Rooster and Hawker for the reply. Both were helpful. I will use both procedures to help determine if I have water in the tubes. I have alway wondered why the manufacturers did not put a drain plug on the rear of each tube. I would guess that getting a good seal would be the issue but surely that could be acheived in this day and age. Oh well, I can't complain. I have had my first pontoon boat for one summer now and could not have had a better vessel for my needs.

Ok, any other thoughts would be welcomed.
Tom
 
Top