Questions about Installing New Stringers

jcbarry

Cadet
Hi. I have a question about installing new stringers in my project boat. It is an 18ft runabout with an inboard (351 Ford w/velvet drive). I am going to be using Divinycell foam for stringers, but I am questioning if they are strong enough to support the engine. Should I use aluminum plates or wood to reinforce the foam, or just go a different route? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Questions about Installing New Stringers

hey jc...

WELCOME TO I BOATS

I haven't ever used the stringer system your suggesting.....

so i dont know if they will hold.....mabe some one here has used them and can guide you better.....but thats a lot of weight on foam

what was the origonal configuration ?

standard stringer replacement is 3/4 inch pressure treated plywood laminated togeather......
then glass over the strings.

there is lots of info on stringer replacement here on this forum...just hit search.....
the moderators are very helpful and know tons....they dont get paid for baby sitting us here so treat them with respect...theve earned it.

more answers for you comin soon !

cheers
oops

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

First of all - Good luck with your project as I am doing stringers/floor decking myself in an 18 ft. bass boat and we all can use a little luck!

As far as using foam for stringers, I have heard of laminating foam between two pieces of wood (ply or plank) to create a strong rigid stringer. Then you would have to glass over it to make it one with the hull. But, on the other hand, why not just do what Oops! suggested in using wood alone and glassing over it - that's probably the easiest and most convenient and no doubt, strong. I would stay away from any metal that you can since it won't float like wood and adds unecessary weight to your boat. I don't have any experience with inboards, but I'm sure that someone in this forum would have some great ideas for supporting it sufficiently as I have found that these folks have VAST knowledge.
Please let us know what you decide to do - sometimes someone else's actions and creativity helps others! :)

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

The website diabgroup.com will provide contact information for your area. phone/fax/email.

They are a manufacturer of many grades of divineycell. Supposedly they offer design and application advice.

Let's go boating !

jcbarry

Cadet

I would like to thank everyone for the welcome. It appears that there is a TON of useful information and educated individuals on this forum. I had searched for some info but could'nt find any that specifically fit my question.

The original stringers were 2x8 boards, not sure what type of wood. When I acquired the boat the stringers and engine were the only things left, all decks and such had already been removed by a previous owner. The engine and transmission was jury rigged in place so who knows what the actual original configuarion was. Wood would obviously be cheaper, but I already have a 4x8 sheet of divinycell that I would like to use. I'm just not sure if it needs to be reinforced in the application I am looking to use it in. I will definintly be in contact with Diab to see if they have any reccomendations.