questionable paint surface

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,

I have 1 1957 Crown Line, 14' runabout that I want to repaint. The hull is fiberglass and no problem but the top deck looks funny. In the picture attached you can see where the finish has peeled off to reveal a black underneath surface. It looks more like hard rubber than fiberglass and has a grain that looks something like birch bark. I can't imagine it being anything other than fiberglass but thought I'd ask if anyone knows what this is before I strip and paint it.

OK, after posting I went out and started scraping off paint and saw at a chipped area that the deck is fiberglass but still don't know what kind of paint or primer this black is. I don't want the new paint to peel off like the old.

Next I took sandpaper to it and sanding hard in 1 spot I could not get thru this black layer, it appears thicker than a single coat of primer and hard. So whaddayathink?

Thanks, Andy

Attachments

• boat skin.jpg
    boat skin.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: questionable paint surface

Without touching it I would guess Vinyl. I have seen in boats and stores vinyl that resemble that pattern. Also in some instances I've pulled up the boat deck before I pulled off the vinyl. May also be why the paint is peeling.

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Without touching it I would guess Vinyl. I have seen in boats and stores vinyl that resemble that pattern. Also in some instances I've pulled up the boat deck before I pulled off the vinyl. May also be why the paint is peeling.

Maybe, but did they use vinyl back in '57?

After sanding it it seems more like some type of resin primer. Very hard. After several minutes of hard sanding in 1 spot it made very little black dust. The birch like lines in it are small hairline cracks, not a pattern.

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking the grain was some type of synthetic wood look, but if it is cracks then it is not vinyl.

If it feels like rubber maybe some type of high density foam, but then again was that around during 1957. What color is the dust after you sand?