Question.....

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
probably should go on technical non boating topics....not sure though.<br />Simple question that I forgot, how many square feet are in a square of a roof? I think 100 but that doesn't sound right and it has been many years since I have worked as a roofer.

FSHKPR

Ensign
Re: Question.....

i think your right deputy dog<br />pretty sure it is 100 square feet to a square

Homerr

Commander

Not sure on the roof equation, but here's a neat program I found to be useful for converting:<br /><br />Here's a screen shot:<br /><br />
convertani.gif
<br /><br /><br />It's free! Download here:<br /><br /> http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/ <br /><br /><br />H.

Xcusme

Commander

Absolutely, one square= 100 square feet (10'x10' area)

NathanY

Commander

One square of roofing is 10' by 10' which equals 100 sq ft.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Three bundles of shingles usally equal a square, wich is 10 x 10.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks everyone. <br />So it is 3 bundles to a square? That is where I was figuring wrong. I figured 3 squares to a bundle. <br />Too bad too, that ups the price of my project. Thanks again.<br />And Homerr, Thanks for the program info. That will be helpful!

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

YEP!!!!!That bundle would be about four feet tall!!!

sangerwaker

Commander

Not all shngle are three bundles per square. Most are, but some of the newer varieties are four per square. Those are only the more expensive ones, but check to be sure on the ones you're buying.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br /> Not all shngle are three bundles per square. Most are, but some of the newer varieties are four per square. Those are only the more expensive ones, but check to be sure on the ones you're buying.
Sanger brings up a good point. When I re-roofed my house the shingles came 4 bundles per square. <br /><br />Boy was that a lot of work!

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget to figure in your ridge cap. If my memory serves me right, it takes 1 sq. for 50 foot of ridge caps.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its a 10ft x 10ft section of roofing shingles. about as an archaic measurement as a kings toe or a stone but is an industry standard. I stripped more squares than I care to remember. its either 150 degrees and climbing or 25 degrees and a 40 knot wind when roofing. and if the weather man calls for a ten percent chance of light rain he forgot to add its 90 percent chance of a frog strangler if you pick that day to strip the roof.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

a ps to the ridge. also dont forget the first run is a double layer. the lowest point of the roofline gets the first layer upside down. cant remember what its called anymore.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

ditto "yes", one square = 100sqft. but not necessarily a 10'x10' area.. could be 5'x20' or, ..etc., :p ;) <br /><br />
Originally posted by neumanns:<br /> Three bundles of shingles usally equal a square, wich is 10 x 10.
"usually" yes. Depends on: manufacturer, type/style, 'rating' in terms of year # classification (example: 20yr, 30yr, etcetera) which relates to integrity of the shingle.<br /><br />
Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br /> Not all shingles are three bundles per square. Most are, but some of the newer varieties are four per square. Those are only the more expensive ones, but check to be sure on the ones you're buying.
True .. the manufacturer will list in their product specifications how many bundles of the specific product will equal 1 square at an approximate exposure.<br /><br />
Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> When I re-roofed my house the shingles came 4 bundles per square. <br /><br />Boy was that a lot of work!
The only thing easy about roofin' is drinkin' beer while enjoying a lawn chair when you're done.<br /> ;) <br /> <br />
Originally posted by cajun555:<br /> Don't forget to figure in your ridge cap. If my memory serves me right, it takes 1 sq. for 50 foot of ridge caps.
This is dependant on the manufacturers' specific product line and 'exposure' it too can vary.. you should refer to a specific manufacturers product guide for this information. It's important to keep within the product line(s) specified/matched product or what they refer to at times as 'accessories' or 'hip and ridge' in their referance guide. Some manufacturers don't offer them ('hip and ridge') and refer you to a 3-tab style shingle in their specified product line.. which is A-OK.. you might also be able to match a 3-tab in the specific color in the same product line to substitute the usually more expensive 'hip and ridge' accessory.. again, take a look and see whats available and recomended. then look for the comparables.<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> a ps to the ridge. also dont forget the first run is a double layer. the lowest point of the roofline gets the first layer upside down. cant remember what its called anymore.
Its called a "starter strip" and again.. this could be manufacturer specific or generic.. I'm not going to go into detail here but, there are other variables to look at too concerning 'starter strip' and the upside-down method of using 3-tab shingles.. one thing to note about that method is that the tabs should be cut flush and straight to the 'overlap' dimension.<br /><br />DD- If I can aid in any way.. just say so. I can run an estimate on total materials for you that'll be within' about 2% (or less) of what ya need. I'd just need some specifics on a few things.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the offer of help Barlow. I might take you up on that. Working out finances now to see if I can even think of planning. I need to add on to the house. I have stripped and nailed down many many shingles, but it has all been someone else doing the figuring. <br />Did my roof last year with the heritage 40 year shingles.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

no prob DD .. send an e-mail when ya get time .. don't hesitate when ya have time to - " tj _ kinder @ ya hoo "<br /><br />btw - good choice ;)