?? Question SIMPSON 260 multimeter ?? W/PIC

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer
I just picked up this older Simpson 260 multimeter at an auction for $2.00. Appears to be in nice condition but I can't get it to read anything. I've checked batteries and fuse and all are good. All I'm trying to do right now is check a 12V car battery for voltage, just to see if the meter works. With all the dials and probe connection holes, I'm not sure where to set it or where to connect the probes. Anybody help?? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Attachments

• HPIM0776.jpg
    HPIM0776.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: ?? Question SIMPSON 260 multimeter ?? W/PIC

if it doesnt work I may want it :) :).
havent seen an antique 260 since BE&E school at NTC great lakes.
however to check a 12V battery insert the black lead into the common and the red lead into the + sockets,set the knob to the 50V scale and test away.
good units but dirt old :)
remember its analog and polarity sensitive.
reversing polarity can damage meter movement.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

To read volts:

Red probe wire in +
Black probe wire in -
Set the small dial on left to + D.C.
Set the big dial to 50 V. (since 10 V. is a tad too small for a 12 volt battery).

Since there is no off position on the dial, I'd check for a power switch. Maybe the battery is only on when resistance is being measured, so the knob, in any other position turns it off, but it's something to check.

Also, try setting the big dial to Rx1, touch the ends of the probes (still in the same holes) together, and turn the "zero ohms" knob. This should cause the needle to move, and is used to set the zero position (since the shorted leads are zero resistance).

PS. It looks like the text in italics, under the big knob settings, tell you which hole the red probe should be in.

Oh, and the + D.C. and - D.C. had me scratching my head for a second, until I realized the needle can only move in one direction... So if you can't swap probes for some odd reason, the small knob does the swap internally. Guess I've been digital for too long.

PPS. Dang rodbolt was fast! :D

PPS. Check this out, a whole site devoted to the 260: http://simpson260.com/

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

i forgot, as your testing a positive DC circuit set the polarity select switch to +dc.
try googling simpson 260 operators manual.
good meter very durable to the point of almost indestructable and still in use in the USN.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

None of the tests I've tried so far has moved the needle at all. Fuse definetly looks good. Maybe I need to try new batteries OR are there any tests that would work with dead batteries? Also should probably try to find my other meter to test the leads for resistance. They have a lot of cracks in the insulation and kinks in them, but I don't see anywhere where it looks like the conductors are broken.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Well I was going to say you could use your new meter to check the battery... ;)

But yeah, that's a good idea on checking the leads too.

BTW, looks like your 260 is a Series 6.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Rodbolt....You in Kitty Hawk right now? Used to vacation on the Outer Banks for like 8 years straight I think, when I was married. For the last 6 years we stayed at the Breakers. Small condo complex w/9 units and a private pool. Loved it. Matter of fact now that I'm thinking about it, I just remembered me and my dog went one year after the divorce. Stayed at the Holiday Inn (I think it was a Hol. Inn) right next to the Breakers. All about mile post 10.5 I think. Been about 7or 8 years since I've been there. Hope Earl didn't bother you much.;)

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Contact Simpson directly. Even if they charge you $150 to repair it you're getting a workhorse of the industry. Simpson website.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am in colington now, got remarried in 08 and bought a house here in colington harbor last year.
good tax breaks and all. that and now my boat stays tied up at the dock instead of sitting on a trailer.
just wish I had time to use it :).
earl was easy on us here on the banks.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I have one, I bought them for all my techs about 28 years ago, I actually prefer it to my dmm. When I ordered those I gave the techs the option of the dmm's or 260's it was unanamous on the 260's. Make sure your leads are good, although you may need a meter for that:). I MAY still even have the manual around here, but I don't know where.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep good meters.
got lazy.
love my DVM :)

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

I found a manual online (thanks EricJRW). I also found my other meter and checked the leads/probes. They are both good. I thought I had it working but it seems very erratic. I was getting a reading when checking volts and resistance, then turned the big center dial and when I went back to volts or resistance, it would read different sometimes using the same setting. And now I'm back to no readings at all. I bought new batteries and am gonna put them in and maybe clean up the contacts on the center dial and see what happens.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, but it still sounds exactly like a broken wire in one of the leads, sometimes making contact when you move it and sometimes not. It is the kind of problem that will make you nuts. I never had to send a single 260 back for repair, even the one where the guy blew the lead right off!

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I think I will rewire the probe leads. I neglected to follow my own advice when troubleshooting......look for the easiest cheapest fix first, then go from there. Thanks for pointing that out RicMic.

rwidman

Lieutenant

None of the tests I've tried so far has moved the needle at all. Fuse definetly looks good. Maybe I need to try new batteries OR are there any tests that would work with dead batteries?

Or maybe the meter (the part with the pointer) is broken or burned out or some internal components are burned out and that's why you were able to purchase it for $2.00. ;)

My career in electronics goes back to when analog meters were all that was available and I'll have to admit to killing one or two in my career. Let me count the ways:

1. Drop it off a six foot stepladder.
2. Connect it to a voltage much higher than what it was set for.
3. Set it on a current range and connect it across a voltage source.
4. As above but on the resistance setting.
5. Connect it to reverse polarity.
6. (I didn't do this myself but a co-worker did) Set the meter on the radiator of an industrial standby generator with the leads dangling down to where the fan was while checking a fire alarm system, accidentally short out a circuit, blowing a fuse, which caused the generator to start, catching the meter leads in the fan, and pulling the meter off the radiator and into the fan where it then went through the radiator, causing it to shoot water all over the place.

And then there was the time when I was using a digital meter to check a relay (with the power off) and the guy helping me (a custodian, not a technician) said "oh wait, I guess you want the power on" and switched the 480 volt power on before I could say no! :eek:

rwidman

Lieutenant

Yeah, I think I will rewire the probe leads. I neglected to follow my own advice when troubleshooting......look for the easiest cheapest fix first, then go from there. Thanks for pointing that out RicMic.

You can buy new leads at Radio Shack for a couple $. That will let you test by substitution.

You can buy an entire digital VOM from Harbor Freight for $3 or $4. Then you can use it to check your analog meter and leads. ;)

It's also more convenient, rugger, and reliable for working on your boat.

BTW: The battery in your meter is just for testing resistance, not voltage or current.