question... repowering my boat...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: question... repowering my boat...

We get a lot of posters here who are seeking some sort of "permission" to do something unwise and/or dangerous. Overpowering a boat is unwise. Doing it to a 30 year old boat with a bad transom and no insurance is beyond unwise. Beefing up the transom is not going to upgrade the hull, stringers, etc. It would just make the boat more dangerous.

Yes, lots of people have done it and most of them have survived. If you can't afford insurance but can afford to overpower your old boat you are tempting fate.

metor99

Seaman

The power rating for your boat is only a suggestion and really means nothing. If the boat can handle it run it. I have a landau boat 16 ft that that says max hp35 and i have a 90 yamaha on it now and a 50 before that. I know in nevada you can put on your regustration any size motor you want too.

metor99

Seaman

I did not know what boat you had a grady white is a well built boat and i have seen them with twin 235's with no problem. On the coast where i lived they were used to take people back and forth to the oil rigs. Your transom will be higher you will have no problems just do a good job and make it look good.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I disagree. The years I spent as a "sixpack" Charter Captain, and as a consultant to OMC reinforce my opinion that The engineers at Grady White knew exactly what they were doing when they rated that boat for maximum safe HP.

A skilled helmsman can probably avoid disaster with an overpowered boat, even a Grady White or a Boston Whaler, but for the typical boatsman massively overpowered is dangerous, even life threatening.

iboats advocates safe practices, including respecting Max power ratings.

Last edited:

metor99

Seaman

Im not starting a fight with you but know what you are talking about not just alot of posts. The costguard sets what they feel as safe limits but they are not THE LAW. O i forgot i am a licensed captain to 150 tons.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

EDIT

That was my thoughts too, no wonder my insurance keeps going up.

Don't need to be a brain surgeon to keep your ***** out of trouble on the water, just keep within the rules and regulations in your area.

Last edited by a moderator:

SparkieBoat

Captain

I always though 55 MPH was just a suggestion.....ROFL:facepalm: