Question on swaping out 3.0L for .....

r33pwrd

Cadet
Re: Question on swaping out 3.0L for .....

But the funny thing is you dont realize is that it will have all the same parts as if Volvo built it... wait they did... I just put it together... im not trying to horseshoe a 7.4 into it im only puting the same setup in it that volvo

you old farts need to feel young again... go rub one out or something!

Robj

Lieutenant

You'll be rubbing one out of your wallet!! I have contemplated the same thing. Sure it can be done, that is not the question. The question is that most people feel that it is not $$$ well spent, it is cheaper to buy a boat equipped the way you want it. I tend to agree with them, when I get tired of my 120 hp, I will buy a different boat with the right power plant, or gas will be so expensive that I will be glad that I have a small motor. Your $2k motor is just the start, keep counting, it will be interesting to see what the final cost is.

Have a great day,

Rob.

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm finishing up a 4.3L upgrade from a 3.0L, but on a Mercruiser system. There are road bumps of course, but overall it has not been terribly difficult, just time consuming. Assuming Volvo products are interchangeable as the Mercruiser systems are, the wiring harness is a direct fit and the throttle and shift cables need no adjustment. The flywheel and coupler were also the same. Engine mounts depend on your bilge area.. I made mine out of 6061 aluminum and did not need to reglass.

The gear ratio in the outdrive is the big factor and like everyone has said, not really a do it yourself job. Again, I don't know about Volvo, but I can pick up a used one on ebay for relatively cheap or just go buy an SEI.

As for cost, it is debatable. I originally paid $2000 for my boat and put maybe $200 of upgrades/replacements on the engine. I purchased a junk boat with the good motor and trailer for $660. I have already sold the trailer for $200 (although with a little work it was probably worth $400). I have the bellhousing components along with some other pieces I should be able to sell to recoup some money as well (assuming I can find a buyer). Finally, I can sell the old 3.0L itself as it is a great running engine, just not enough power for me. When it is all said and done, I could come out on the positive in terms of cash, but I'm not really expecting to.

This is more of a hobby than a moneymaking venture, and I would recommend anyone else that does it to keep it in mind. If you are truly trying to be thrifty, you will probably be disappointed in the end.

That said, you don't need to be rude on these forums. People are speaking from their own experiences and it is always ultimately up to the reader to make their own decisions, it is just someone elses advice.

P.S. Anyone know how to get rid of the imported_ after that shows up after they upgraded the forums or whatever?

r33pwrd

Cadet

I am not trying to de rude but I did not ask "please try and talk me out of something" I simpley asked a question on what was needed... NOT ONE PERSON except imported_TheMan gave any positive feedback... I asked a simple question and a bunch of people jump on my back about it! if you dont know than why even post!

And this will be just a fun project for me! Im not trying to make $$$ nor am I trying to save $$ it would just be fun! I always have to have a project and my jetskis are running over 75 so I need another project.

blueoval1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just do it and get on with your life! The only thing this thread is doing is pissing everyone off. This is a forum , not a service manual. Your going to get opinions whether you are looking for them or not!
All I will say is good luck with the project!

Enough said! :)

r33pwrd

Cadet

"get on with my life" ??? I think its funny that no one knows how to do it :confused:

I was simply trying to get feedback on doing the swap not a bunch of bitchy old people getting upset because someone is doing something new!

IM NOT THE ONE THAT NEEDS TO GET ON WITH MY LIFE!

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey I deal with people all the time that find the boat they want but not with the power they want and a repower is done. Of course, this is with large diesel pleasureboats and work boats.

But I am not a naysayer. In the long run you end up with what you want. Sure, you may find one that is exactly what you were looking for after you finish the project but that's the way it goes.

Good luck and keep us posted.:)

r33pwrd

Cadet

thanks man its good to see someone that has a positive thing to say! I will probablynot do the swap until end of summer so i can spend this winter on the interior and stereo... but i will continue to build up a stock of parts!

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey man, I stuck a 355 in my S10 because some guy at work said "You'll never do that!"

Seven years and 35,000 miles later, I'm building a more potent engine. But it will still be streetable with an overdrive trans and AC. FOr the first two years after the swap I drove that thing daily including trips across three or four states.

Just gather your parts slowly and once it's all together do it.