Question on swaping out 3.0L for .....

r33pwrd

Cadet
Im looking at a very clean 1995 21ft Wellcraft that has the 3.0L with a volvo penta outdrive.... the boat also came with an optional 4.3L

What does it take to swap them? I undestand pretty much everything nedded except the mouts and connecting to the outdrive. Also would a 5.0 or 5.7 be an option? thanks for the help!

Brad

happycamper

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Question on swaping out 3.0L for .....

If you change from a 3.0L to a 4.3L, then you'll also need to spend a bunch to change the gear ratio in the drive.

Keep us posted if you do this, because I have contemplated the same (my boat has a 3.0L, but the 4.3L was an option).

blueoval1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My VIP came with a 2.3L , and I switched to a 4.3L. I bought another boat that came with the 4.3L + drive + all neccesary wiring etc , bolted right in!

r33pwrd

Cadet

I have spent a lot of time doing a search on here and have heard a lot about the gearing and so forth....... some will argue that this is not a must but here nor there I need to find out what it takes to conect a 350 to the drive..... I have found a perfect volvo 350 for a hell of a deal and do not want to jump into it until im sure the motor can be adapted to the drive... I have spent most of my life on jet boats that use a simple driveshaft and I believe the IO's use a bell housing to mount and I do not believe the 3 and 5.7 use the same parts??? I will do this swap if I am 100 positive the small block chevy will mount to the drive. i have the perfect boat to do it with in the 21 wellcraft. Im sure somone must know how to adapt them....

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

The 3.0l,+ the 5.7l are both Chevies,.....
And,......
All Chevies use the Same bellhousing bolt pattern.......

But,......
There'll no doubt be other "Gotchas" that'll make for Problems......

r33pwrd

Cadet

Ayuh,......

The 3.0l,+ the 5.7l are both Chevies,.....
And,......
All Chevies use the Same bellhousing bolt pattern.......

But,......
There'll no doubt be other "Gotchas" that'll make for Problems......

see I learn something new every day ! So do they use a flex plate to attxh to the outdrive? does anyone know where to find a parts diagram of the volvo outdrive and or motor? hope they would show flexplates ect... thanks

blueoval1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try dougrussell.com They have fairly good diagrams.

r33pwrd

Cadet

Thanks for the link.... but its hard to see much on them.... someone has had to have done this??? does anyone have a penta drive with a 5.7?

Bondo

Staff member

Im looking at a very clean 1995 21ft Wellcraft that has the 3.0L with a volvo penta outdrive....

If you haven't even Bought it yet,....... Don't...........

Find the boat you Want,.......... Then buy it........... :rolleyes:

I didn't notice that before My 1st reply......

r33pwrd

Cadet

trust me if I could find a nice modern looking 21 cuddy for under 10K with a v6 or v8 I would!! this boat is imaculant and under 7K.... (and its a wellcraft and from what I have read they are very good quality boats)

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

If you're willing to spend that kind of money and to do work on it after, keep looking, surely you'll be able to fins something that's much more what you want up front. Engine swap is doable, sure, but I would only tackle it if you want to play with it. There is generally no economic advantage to buying something that you need upgrade over buying the boat you want (or the closest you can find that is...). If you want to do it just do do it... go for it,but like a lot of things it's liable to be a lot more work and money than you plan fo rup front. Oh, and on a boat like you're looking it, you might as well look for a 35o to start out with as well - chanes aqre if you realy use it, you'll want it to go fasther than with the 4.3 before long anyhow... Just my 2 cents...

r33pwrd

Cadet

I agree I do want the 350 my intent is not to do the motor tell next winter but do not want to buy it if the 5.7 is not an option

r33pwrd

Cadet

So I will assume that NO one on here know how to mate the 350 to the penta outdrive???? someone has to have done this before....

r33pwrd

Cadet

Si I bought the boat! I have spent a lot of time researching it.... I think most of the people that comment on this have never done it nor attempted it.... If you look on the parts diagrams you will notice the bell housing for the 3.0 and the 5.7 are the same parts #..... also the flywheel and rubber coupler are interchangable.... this will be an easy.... (I hope)

tommays

Admiral

:confused:

Easy is a funny word

You need different gears in the outdrive NOT a DIY job

Will the boat move with the orginal gears (yes BUT it will never use the power correctly )

There will NOT be engine beds for the V-MOTOR BIG glass job

You will need a Different Y-pipe and compleat marine electric parts

I could keep going it may be easy BUT not on your wallet :eek:

Tommays

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

also the flywheel and rubber coupler are interchangable....

Wonder why they have different part numbers if they are interchangable

Bondo

Staff member

trust me if I could find a nice modern looking 21 cuddy for under 10K with a v6 or v8 I would!! this boat is imaculant and under 7K.... (and its a wellcraft and from what I have read they are very good quality boats)

Ayuh,.............

And,........
By the time you figure out what We've all been telling ya,........

You'll have about 20K into This 1................ :rolleyes:

r33pwrd

Cadet

Well we will see........ I just picked up a Volvo complete motor for 2K.... has all parts.... I guess we will see..... also exhasut will not matter... just need a block off plate that I can make for $5... the world is full off "NO people"

r33pwrd

Cadet

Also have parts list for swap direct form volvo... and 3 different quotes from dealers for 11K with a new motor and fresh water cooling (also included lower gear set)... so not sure how you could say 20K?? also there is no glass work needed in THIS boat the mount will attach direct to the stringers... I will post pictures as soon as it is installed for way under 20K

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Anybody can stick some parts together and get an hours worth of running before everything comes apart.
On this forum, 99% want their boats to be reliable with their family on it.

It's amazing how many newbe boat owners with AUTOMOTIVE only experince, and only a couple of posts come on here asking the same thing, MORE POWER, Cheaper, Better, Where is the EZButton.......... Then whine and cry because they don't get the answers they want, and are never heard from again.