Question on rectifier / regulator vs. tach malfunction - 2005 Johnson 90hp # J90GLSOB

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Folks,

I have done extensive research/reading on this site and others regarding my latest issue, which is my SYSTEM CHECK TACHOMETER #177107 intermittently working, dropping out to 0rpms, working fine, jumping all over the place, etc. I will say it works normally probably 85% of the time, which may not matter.

From everything I have read so far it seems more likely that I have a malfunctioning reg/rect, or that is slowly going bad, but I'm not sure based on the following:

What I have done so far is the "easier" stuff - inspect the tach, the 8 pin wiring connector and pins on the back of it, spun the selector on the rear of the tach. All of that "looks" fine. The tach sytem check lights and the horn all work sequentially upon startup as well. Motor itself is running perfectly as well.

I also have measured the two (new last season) batteries' voltages. At rest (no power), they both register at about 12.5V. I've then started the motor on each battery, and they both measure at about 14.4V with the motor running at about 1100rpms give or take. I believe this tells me the batteries are charging correctly.

I did have a new reg/rect installed in 2007 when I acquired the motor originally. It turned out it was not the reg/rect that was the problem, but that's another story.

So to my question - if the batteries are charging normally, does that point more towards a bad tachometer?

I have not tested any other wiring at the motor. I have read Joe Reeve's test procedure but not done it. I was hoping someone could comment as to whether the reg/rect could in fact be fine, and I have a bad tach...or whether the tach operates independently from the reg/rect when it comes to the charging system...as in, could the "tach powering" part of the reg/rect unit be malfunctioning separately from the charging part of the unit?

I really appreciate replies - as usual, couldn't happen at a better time of year. My main concern is that I don't want to be running around with a faulty reg/rect unit that could overheat and start a fire or something. I'm not usually the type to throw parts at a problem, but if a new tach and/or reg/rect unit fixes the problem, I'm in.

Many thanks!

Dave

rothfm

Ensign
Sounds like the regulator to me. The breakdown at add times, when warm, under load etc...or just at idle, random stuff

Had several do exactly as you describe, one even kept making the warning horn intermittantly go off "scratchy" sounding occasionally, as it is tied into that area powerwise.

Just ensure its not a connection issue on any of the 12v larger power cables, and everything is good, clean and tight

The joe reeves tip is very helpfull too

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered a reg/rect unit as I have a hunch that's the problem. With my luck it'll be the tach, but we'll see. I will report back for posterity...!

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No I did not check that continuity yet. I need longer leads on my multimeter to do that. I realize I should check it.

Today I went to the boat, checked the resting and running (charging) volt state of both batteries - both were fine and well within spec. Ran motor at different speeds, tach still erratic, dropping out to zero, and also running fine. I noticed when I go to get on plane it jumps wildly at first almost always - pins at 7k RPMs and jumps around, then settles in.

So I was able to also inspect the reg/rect under the cowling. I did not see any melted, deformed, chafed, or burnt wiring or plastic. The reg/rect unit looked fine. Everything was clean and plugged in tightly. I ran the boat and then quickly checked the reg/rect unit and it was quite warm to the touch but certainly not scalding and I was able to hold my hand on the metal part for several seconds. The rubbery part on the top middle of the unit was not hot at all. Not sure if that means anything.

I unplugged the grey/purple two pin wiring connector that comes from the harness to the reg/rect. The purple wire had no connector pin, only the grey wire. Is that normal? My motor does have the oiling system disconnected and I pre-mix the fuel. Never had a problem, the low oil / no oil alarm is properly disconnected and the other alarms work.

I bought the reg/rect so I would have it on hand should I need it. Now I'm thinking maybe it's the tach itself? I know, all just speculation without more tests...not easy on Mem Day Weekend.

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited:

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Following up - it was the rectifier / regulator unit after all. Swapped out tach first, still had the problem. Swapped out reg/rect and the tach is now working fine, and motor is running well. Thanks - Dave