Question on NMEA connection for marine VHF

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Adding a few new items to my new to me boat. Just installed Raymarine Axium 9RV and a Horizon Eclipse VHF radio. The VHF is supposed to be able to show GPS coordinates on it but it needs to be connected somehow to the Axium and I'm not quite sure how to that. The Axium has a cable coming out of the main power connection that I believe it said was for NMEA. But it is a connector of some sort. The VHF just has some bare wires it says to connect to the GPS unit. Is there some sort of adapter or something that I need to do this? Would like to use the feature if it's available, but also don't want to blow up my unit either. Any help very much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Normally you would install a NMEA 2000 backbone to connect the two units. But I don’t see anywhere in the docs that your VHF supports NMEA 2000 communications

Likewise, I don’t see that the Axiom supports NMEA 0183 communications.
Need to talk with Ray about NMEA 0183 connectivity. If they don’t support, it’s cheaper to buy a new radio than the adapter

Last edited:

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Ahhhh....makes sense. Honestly not that important to me to be honest. Looks like the newer Horizon version supports NMEA 2000, but it is over double the price of the one I just got. I'm usually close to shore anyway, not open water, so not going to worry about it. Thanks for clarifying!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm usually close to shore anyway, not open water, so not going to worry about it. Thanks for clarifying!
You need the connection for Digital Selective Calling (DSC) functionality.

Boater's can get into trouble close to shore too.......

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Oh I know that. Trouble can happen anywhere. But I thought the DSC function was so the radio itself puts out a signal as to wear I am with the push of a button and sends GPS coordinates. What I meant with the shore comment was that I could send a mayday call and give my position using a landmark vs the GPS coordinate (which I can get rather quickly from the GPS itself). I am registered with my MMSI number, so they will know who I am and my boat with that info. Hopefully all a moot point and I never need it. But in looking at the cost to implement, it is quite extensive.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
But I thought the DSC function was so the radio itself puts out a signal as to wear I am with the push of a button and sends GPS coordinates.
The radio doesn't have standalone GPS. The coordinates are sent from the plotter to the VHF for broadcast.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Yep, I get that. That's what I meant. By having it hooked up to the GPS it can broadcast those coordinates. I think...and I use that loosely lol, I can get the Raymarine-VHF-Nmea0183-St-Ng-Converter kit and I would be good. If that is the case, it actually isn't too expensive. Just not sure if I need additional things on top of that

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Yep, I get that. That's what I meant. By having it hooked up to the GPS it can broadcast those coordinates. I think...and I use that loosely lol, I can get the Raymarine-VHF-Nmea0183-St-Ng-Converter kit and I would be good. If that is the case, it actually isn't too expensive. Just not sure if I need additional things on top of that
The converter kit gets you NMEA 2000 from the VHF (on a connector)..... you still need the backbone to connect the two units together.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
And what is the backbone? Sorry, this stuff is waaay new to me lol. I assumed this connector plugged into the cable coming off my Axium. But apparently not.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
So update on this. Tried using the VHF unit without having a GPS signal hooked up to it. It would emit a blaring alarm every 10 minutes advising of loss of signal and I would have to hit a button to silence. I did dome digging and there is NO way to stop it from doing that (aside from giving it a GPS signal) Did some more digging and for $50 more I was able to get the next model up that has a built in GPS receiver in the VHF instead of needing an external connection.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have a Standard Horizon Eclipse and indeed it comes in 2 versions; with internal GPS or without. Mine does not have GPS but it was easy enough to figure out how to connect it to my Garmin GPS using a terminal block. I agree that constant beep is REALLY annoying!
Checking to make sure both components use the same communication protocol before buying is the best way to avoid problems...

Last edited:

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Yep..agree!!! New to me boat as was the Raymarine I got. It was quite the upgrade from the little Garmin I had on my old boat. I assumed since it was a higher end unit, it would be able to connect without an issue. Didn't realize there were different communication protocols. Now I do lol. Popped the new Eclipse in today. Works like a charm. :)