Question on hitch size versus class

Jsiples

Seaman
Sorry for the novice question but originally when I bought my boat it had a 1 7/8" ball on it. I already had a 2" ball and tongue for the trailer so I swapped on the trailer to save a few bucks. I now have gotten a smaller truck that will tow twice what my boat's weight is but has a smaller size or class hitch size than my Explorer did. Can I continue with the 2" ball and just replace the hitch size that connects to the truck to the smaller?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Question on hitch size versus class

Are you saying that your new truck has a 1 1/4" receiver? If so, its capacity is lower than your previous vehicle, and is limited by the receiver.

If that's the case, then you need a new hitch setup to take advantage of the higher towing capacity of your truck.

Towing capacity can be limited either by the vehicle or the installed hitch receiver.

Jsiples

Seaman

Yeah the setup off the new truck is smaller than what is on the current vehicle. So what you are saying is that it will need to be replaced and be the larger? I wasn't sure because the boat itself originally had a 1 7/8" tongue so I purchased a hitch with THAT ball on it and then found a 2" hitch in my garage and the tongue and just switched them out.....the ones I had that were the 2" were in much better shape cosmetically than what the boat came with. So I guess my question is that if you can run a 1 7/8" on the smaller size hitch would I be okay? Sorry for all the dumb questions the boat weight is 1650 lbs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Does your current receiver on your vehicle have a weight rating on it?

1650# is very light. Any ball size will work.

If you have the 1-1/2-inch square receiver, you have a class 1 hitch which is normally rated up to 2000#

Jsiples

Seaman

I don't have the vehicle present but I am guessing that what you said should work out fine. I just wanted to make sure I would be alright with the smaller class ( 1 1/2 ) as sometimes manufacturer's tend to inflate their ratings sometimes ;)

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

1-1/4" sq receiver is usually class I or class II.
2" sq receiver is usually class III.

I don't think anyone makes a 1-1/2" sq receiver hitch.

I bet some previous owner of your "new truck" installed one of those bolt-on to the bottom of bumper type 1-1/4" sq receivers.

I would install a 2"sq reciever hitch on all my vehicles if only for interchange of all drawbars. And besides that the 2"sq is vastly more popular and easier to find and has more assesories made for them then the 1-1/4"sq receivers.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

is this question about ball size? (stop laughing!) ball size is independent of weight class or receiver size........having determined that your towing capacity is adequate, put the 2" ball on your new drawbar and you're good to go.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Thre is an abundance of terminology being tossed into this thread so lets get it straight.

The "receiver" is the hitch platform bolted to the trucks frame. A good "receiver" can be used as a "weight distributing" receiver but that's not your situation.
The "ball mount" is what the "ball" is bolted to and inserts into the "receiver".
The "coupler" is what is found at the end of the trailer tongue.

Now for some details:

If you have a 1-7/8 "coupler" on the trailer, it is generally rated for 2000#. If you have a 2-inch coupler, it is generally rated for 3500#. If the total weight of the boat, trailer, engine, fuel, and gear is less than 2000# you can use a 1-7/8 or 2-inch coupler. If the weight is over that you need a 2-inch coupler. That will dictate the size "ball" you need.

Next you need to determine the capacity of the "receiver". It must have a rating higher than the load you are towing. In other words, every link in the chain (receiver, ball mount, ball, and coupler) must have ratings higher than the total load.

Lastly, "receivers" are available that simply bolt onto the bottom of the trucks bumper as was pointed out. While that "receiver" may have a 3500# rating, the bumper to which it is bolted may not. Obviously that becomes the weak link in the chain.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone else singing AC/DC's Big Balls as they read this thread?

Sorry for the Hijack, continue on..