Question on 1971 Johnson 50 water tube

Jconnell43

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 1971 Johnson is overheating and I think I know why.

After replacing the water pump impeller and putting on the housing the next step is to raise the lower unit so that the water tube seats inside the water pump housing and is sealed by a rubber grommet.

My concern is that the copper water tube has been bent and no longer extends down far enough to reach the rubber grommet so the water pump is not pushing water through the water tube.

As you can see in the picture the end of the water tube is about even with the cast piece that is the driveshaft housing.

The water tube is not secured in any way so that raising the lower unit does not mean that the end of the tube is securely against the rubber grommet.

As you can see the end of the water is not round anymore , anyone have a good way of making it round again.

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• photo334183.jpg
    photo334183.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo334185.jpg
    photo334185.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The water tube is supposed to have a couple of bends in it.. However if it has been shoved upward, it may well have destroyed it. From what I can tell from the pictures, that probably is the case.

I honestly don't know if you can reach the flange bolts that secure the tube to the powerhead adapter or not. It certainly would save a lot of work if you can. Think a socket with several extensions.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
F_R, Is it possible for that tube just to be pushed up too far into the power head flange? Maybe just pull it downward so it would reach into the rubber grommet? Or, can he add a piece of copper tubing to the existing one that is too short now with some kind of rubber connector on the existing and the additional tubing? (Just a thought I had).

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No, it can't push up into the flange. If anything, the bends' angles are changed. I can't guess about successfully pulling it down to un-bend it some. Maybe, just maybe, the tube is the same diameter as 1/2" copper plumbing pipe. That would be nice if you could rig up a piece of pipe and a coupling. Of course if the tube is severely kinked, that could obstruct the water flow. I'm afraid this calls for some on-site inspection and evaluation.

Jconnell43

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys I've been thinking about this all day and F_R and I have reached the same conclusion.
I'm thinking a piece of good hose and 2 hose clamps and a short piece of copper tubing might do the trick.
The area is just full of damp exhaust air so it might work.
It's great having a plumber next door.

I have tried a rubber hammer handle to insert upwards to "uncurve" the water tube but no luck there.

I jet sprayed the water tube and got got flow so it's bent but not kinked.

Off to the neighbors.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Good luck with it. I hope it's just a matter of extending that tube a little to make it reach into the grommet at the water impeller.

Jconnell43

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In case someone else is up against this, the water tube is 1/2" outside diameter, not inside diameter ( probably 7/16" )
All copper pipe you will see at Home Depot is 1/2' inside diameter and will be too big to fit the water tube grommet that I brought to the hardware store.

I did pickup about 3/4 of an inch by hammering a 1" x 1" into the housing to unbend a little of the water pipe.

Next stop is Tru Value for more specialized fittings.

Jconnell43

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Copper water tube is now unbent.Neighbor used a long 1"x1" piece of wood along with a 2ft pry bar to straighten out the tube and problem solved.Been out twice for 3 hrs each and it is running great, no overheat horn, just 50hp of pure 1971 Johnson.