question for tire men..it was a new one on me

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Today while I was at the tire shop I overheard the counterman turn away a customer in a minivan, saying they did not have the equipment to replace the tire and he would have to go to the dealer. Seems the tire and rim are a bonded unit. I didn't get the name of the set up but it sounded as if it ended in "ax".

I hope this is not a trend in the industry....I routinely have a dozen or more flats a year and it would bankrupt me to have to go to the dealer for work.

Any thoughts about what I overheard?

Jinx

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: question for tire men..it was a new one on me

Uhhhhhhhh probably talking about a Sienna Van :redface: With the factory equipped Run Flat Tires and Tire Pressure Monitor System there is a special tire machine required for changing the tires......

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

12 flats a year? Good grief, you must be running Kuhmos. We have had a Michelin carry a 3 inch lag screw, for more than 2 months.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

If that is a trend, all tire shops are not going out of business for lack of needed machinery. It just won't happen - a few small ones maybe. Hmmm - BIG TIRES.

dolluper

Captain

Not really ,tire pressure sensor valves do need specialty equipment to remove so you don't bugger them up,most have it now....back country ones probably don't

i386

Captain

I'd speculate that the run flat tire needs the special equipment not the sensors.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

The run flats do need a special machine due to the strength of the side wall. the TPMS have been around for years so most tire shops are already familair with them.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Uhhhhhhhh probably talking about a Sienna Van :redface: With the factory equipped Run Flat Tires and Tire Pressure Monitor System there is a special tire machine required for changing the tires......

DOH! So what is special about the runflats on my Sienna that special mounting equipment is needed? It doesn't mention this on the Dunlop website and I have the Dunlop tires.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark I don't believe the dunlops are run flats .

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Bridgestone and Dunlop both make run flats that are stock on the Sienna AWD...... as per my Parts Dept. It is the sidewalls that need a special machine and a person capable to identify that it has a TPMS sensor (usually a metal valve stem) for mounting.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies, it clears the mystery up.

a dozen flats for me a year is not unusual. I attribute it to

6 cars and trucks in the "fleet"

lots of driving on gravel roads (my county still has about 300 miles of them)

lots of construction in the area (1st or 2nd fastest growing county in the US) and lots of construction debris on the roads

I have about 2 miles of farm road to travel at least daily if not more

and finally, bad luck. If there is dog cr** in the yard I'll step in it.

Jinx

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

12 flats a year? Good grief, you must be running Kuhmos. We have had a Michelin carry a 3 inch lag screw, for more than 2 months.

Ummmm.... this might seem a little stupid just to me, but if you KNEW there was a 3 inch lag in your tire, WHY WOULDN'T YOU GET IT FIXED RIGHT AWAY???? I'm just picturing going to the grocery store with a lag in my tire, and not having time to get it removed.

I'm sure your story is much better by fabrication, but c'mon!!!!!

puddle jumper

Captain

Thanks for the replies, it clears the mystery up.

a dozen flats for me a year is not unusual. I attribute it to

6 cars and trucks in the "fleet"

lots of driving on gravel roads (my county still has about 300 miles of them)

lots of construction in the area (1st or 2nd fastest growing county in the US) and lots of construction debris on the roads

I have about 2 miles of farm road to travel at least daily if not more

and finally, bad luck. If there is dog cr** in the yard I'll step in it.

Jinx
Wow thats all up hear I think we have more gravel than pavment. 12 flats a year is not bad. My dad once got 5 flats in one 400 mile trip. The kicker was he was packing 4 spairs.

bassman284

Commander

Yeah, gravel roads are murder. when I was growing up in the country, we always carried 2 spares and a plugging kit just to get through the day. The theory was that farm wagons were always shedding nails and the gravel would prop the nails up in position to easily enter the tire. Picked up some other interesting stuff from time to time as well. I picked up a hay hook one time. Couldn't plug that one.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

I live on gravel roads. Have all my life. I get one flat every couple/ three years. MN has no studded tires, maybe that helps.

Why do wagons have nails? There haven't been wooden wagons in oh,,,, 50 years or so.

I don't know what the problem is in your areas of the country. Maybe, you should tell your neighbors to stop throwing junk on the road. Understand, I'm not criticizing anyone. I just don't understand why you have so many flats and blame it on the roads?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

FYI ... I went to the Toyota website and under FAQ's there was the question "Can regular tires be mounted in place of RFT's?". They answered that is was OK, and that a spare tire kit should be ordered and installed (it goes in the space where one of the fold down seats folds into).

bassman284

Commander

I live on gravel roads. Have all my life. I get one flat every couple/ three years. MN has no studded tires, maybe that helps.

Why do wagons have nails? There haven't been wooden wagons in oh,,,, 50 years or so.

Well, actually a little more recently than that. But whenever it was, I date back to wooden wagons.