Question for the masses

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Everybody already knows I'm a little throwed off so my question shouldn't be a suprise. Lets say you happen to be white/caucausin and fill out a job/loan/etc application. It will have white, africanamerican,native american,asian, and other. Would it be out of line if you were to check other? What if you view yourself as an European American, that choice is not given so you must choice the other catagory right?

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Question for the masses

I my opinion, if we all supposedly want to have EQUAL rights....that question should not be on any loan/credit and especially job application at all. I think you're on to something and I just might start checking "other" as well.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always check native american although i'm not an indian.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

KB, if you look at yourself as anything else besides what's on the application, then you must check other.<br /><br />Let them figure it out. :D

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thats why they call them idiot blocks. They think we are idiots and must be treated as such. Check other. I do.<br /><br />PS There are no white people. There are no black people. We are not from the mountains of Caucasus or whatever. So other is the one.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) The way I see it with my warped mind is,if born in the "GOOD OLE U S" :D U R N "AMERICAN"!!!!! ;) And most difinitly are american if your parents were also born here!!! Now if U R american with Irish, Italian or what ever etc:, then I'd say U R american of Irish decent,etc:<br /><br />Now if U R looking for a job in america, tell them you are a foreigner and U will more then likely get the job!!!!! :p :p

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I am offended that DANA (Descendents of Aboriginal North Americans) have co-opted the term "Native American." <br /><br />I was born in America, therefore I am a Native American.<br /><br />I usually check the white or caucasian box, if I check a box at all, since by law that must be an optional question. But I think maybe I'll start claiming my rightful title as a "Native American."

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Without doubt I am an American. Southern born by the grace of God too I might say. I am just looking at the protected class business end of things.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I always check other, if I bother to check it at all.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Last time my stepson had to fill out something it had all kinds of different races except for his - Asian. Kinda wierd.<br /><br /><br />Is there any reason you can't check them all? Just to be sure.<br /><br />I have been told I am a very tiny fraction American Indian. I will remember that next time.<br /><br />My Daughter will be "other" - Half Asian/Half Redneck.<br /><br />Maybe she can check both. :confused: :D <br /><br />Ken

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

After reading the other responses....I think you guys are right. I will be checking Native American instead of "other" from now on! I was born here too! :D

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Growing up on the Lakota Souixe indian reservation I have many friends there. They all call themselves Indian or American Indian. To them people are either Indian or Non Indian. They say they are also native american because they are born here, except for those from the early to mid 70's during the american indian movement (AIM) Russle Means followers. They call the reservation a sovereign nation, so they are Indian. <br />I just put other and write in From the Planet UB536.

NYMINUTE

Captain

I believe the box is optional, like DOB. I may be wrong, but I see an employer quilty of discrimination if they were to overlook an applicant because of failure to check a box. Very grey area.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If it asks for "race" I write in "yes" or "used to".<br /><br />There never seems to be a box labeled "homo sapien".

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

last time I filled out a a form that asked for race I chose to skip it and they called me on it..<br /><br />The VP asked why and I told them, "Its irrelevant information and against my better judgement to play into race issues." (along those lines)<br /><br />The response was, "We do this so we can regulate the amount of 'minorities'.. we need to have so many on the payroll.."<br /><br /><br />I just sat in silence with eyebrows raised before excusing myself from the interview.. :mad:

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> last time I filled out a a form that asked for race I chose to skip it and they called me on it..<br /><br />The VP asked why and I told them, "Its irrelevant information and against my better judgement to play into race issues." (along those lines)<br /><br />The response was, "We do this so we can regulate the amount of 'minorities'.. we need to have so many on the payroll.."<br /><br /><br />I just sat in silence with eyebrows raised before excusing myself from the interview.. :mad:
I thought it was illegal for them to require it be answered.

gaugeguy

Captain

I tried not to fill it out on a recent background check for a firearm purchase and they wouldn't process it until I checked the box. :confused:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> If it asks for "race" I write in "yes" or "used to".<br /><br />There never seems to be a box labeled "homo sapien".
"used to" .LOL I'll have to remember that one.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I get really jacked off about this stupid issue of have a 'quota' of race, gender, religion, etc,etc. How about employing people on merit.... the best person for the job..... You could even see productivity improvements because people ain't being 'carried' by the rest of the team (another PC term I hate!).<br /><br />0.02<br /><br />Chris.............<br />White male and proud of it!

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Looks like I was correct in my thinking. Maybe not by checking other but I can check Native American. Thanks gang.