QUESTION FOR F_INSCREENNAME

LANCLJ

Cadet
Could you give here, or on the restoration thread, a rundown on repainting your hull. I know you sprayed it, but what paint did you use, how tough was it, how many coats, reducer, etc, etc.<br /> Thanks

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: QUESTION FOR F_INSCREENNAME

Aaahhh paint. How I hate it.<br /> You are right I did shoot it. The rest is kind of straight forward. <br /> First I striped everything off the boat that would come off (you can tell when something has been painted around). Next was any body work. I had a few things I wanted to change so I had to use fiberglass, mat and finished it off with bondo. Then it is sand, sand, sand. If you do a poor sanding it will show. 220 grit wet sanding should be good enough as a finial sanding. <br /> I then got a paint sprayer from Home Depot and I had a compressor. Off to U/S Boat for paint. I used off the shelf Interflux paint thinned down with paint thinner so it would go through the sprayer (directions are on the can). The paint has a self leveling feature so it is hard to screw up. I shot it 4 times all on the same day so I did not have to wet sand between each coat but there is a fine line on when it is dry enough. If you shoot to early you will end up with runs. <br /> Not a expert by a long shot but it didn’t turn out to bad for doing it in the back yard.

bdirect

Seaman

f_inscreenname<br /><br />was on your web site. liked it very much. i have a 1972 V24 Cuddy Seabird. If you are a histiry buff about fast boats etc you might find this <br />site interesting.http://www.schoellmarine.com/<br /><br />Harry has quite a history behind the scenes of many boat builders. i found it very interesting that he holds the patent on the conic hull. Running strakes are his as well.He is to be rumered Ray Hunts designer and colaberator on many projects but is not listed. My seabird is in fact credited by some publications to Hunt but is in fact harry's design. i think you will find his participation with Donzi, wellcraft, Glastron, Trojan, Fountain, Magnum, and he was also instramentsl in the Challenger Offshor racing circuit.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Thanks for the compliment and website tip. I will be out of town and out of touch (no Internet) for the next ten days but I will get into it when I get back. <br /> PS Did you stop by the "link" on my site (the red glowing one)? A lot of cool old boats there.

LANCLJ

Cadet

TO F_INSCREENNAME:<br /><br />Thanks for the info. Years of sunlight have turned my Wellcraft's red top side to a less- than- desireable shade of orange.<br /><br />I was going the route of a one-part poly Mega Gloss made by Blue Water Marine, and I was going to roll and brush it. But now I may spray it, if my brother will agree to let me use his garage.<br /><br />By the way, you boat looks great in the photos.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

f,<br />Ditto on the above comments re your project. It looks stunning from the pix you have posted on your home page and the related info you have there is brilliant.<br />Congrats..<br />Peter

f_inscreenname

Commander

A belated Thank You both. Been out of town for the last couple weeks.