Question before I buy an inflatable???

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer
I already have a 15hp evinrude with a pretty much rock proofed lower, so I was thinking 11' or 12' boat.
I can upgrade to a 25hp if I have to but I really like the light weight and low fuel consumption of the 15.
I'm looking at buying a used inflatable but I see different bottoms. Plywood, aluminum, fiberglass...
Witch type would be the most resistant to rocks?
I didn't take the video or pics but it's the river I run on. At the end is Georgian bay so I'll have ruff open waters to contend with as well.
http://youtu.be/I3CBDdwiYbs
23042027.jpg

2645893.jpg

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Question before I buy an inflatable???

Is my 15hp going to be enough to keep me out of trouble on a 12' inflatable... or would I be lacking power?

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Plenty of guys here swear by an 18 hp on 12.5' being enough. How do you "rock proof" a lower though?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Very nice extreme video, assume you boat with unlocked engine at transom just in case a rock ripps of your transom, right ? You could try minimum a 380 sib with wooden panel or alum floors with a 15 HP having it already, but an 18/25 would be more fun. If you could get a 2 strokes Tohatsu 18 HP would be better than any 15 HP.

Happy Boating

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

I'm looking at a 1990s zodiac hurricane r380.
Are they pvc or hypalon?
What do you guys think of those boats?
It's a 4 hr drive from me so I haven't seen it, but the owner couldn't even tell me what type of hull it had...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Those are top of the line fiberglass hull Ribs, could be Strongan or Hypalon made. Are big, need powerful engines for top water excitement. Yes, you could use one of those instead of a traditional fiberglass hull boat but will have same ripping off hull issues against sharp rocks. Does the model being offered has a central console, trailer, what's it's HP engine ?

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Zodiac Hurricane 380.JPG
    Zodiac Hurricane 380.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 0

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I picked it up for $300... no motor, no trailer at that price. It leaks at the valves so I'll have to repair those and the transom is unglued a bit.
How do I find out if it's hypalon or strongan?
I also need to know what type of glue is needed and what do I use to clean/prep the areas I will be repairing.
As for the fiberglass hull, it's in really good shape so I'll just have to keep it away from the rocks.
I already sold my 15 hp and I'm looking for a bigger motor.
Do you guys think a 25 would be enough for this boat?
and yes, It's the same as the one Sea Rider posted but it's grey.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Good purchase Part Time, fabric is French Oh la, la hypalon fabric. If living outside environments get a nice thick boat cover and 303 Space Protectant to better fabric look and more sun protection as well considering it's already a 22 year oldie...

That rib is rated for a 40 HP to work as expected, but if you plan putting around on calm sea waters, lakes, ponds with family a 25 will work nicely, if going more extreme will need minimum a 30 HP to get the fun out of that combo. Check if possible to find a used 2 strokes 25/30 HP Tohatsu engine.

To repair will need Mek to clean fabrics, 2 part hypalon glue, close environments, right temp and patience, repairing fabrics is not my speciality, some other boaters and posters will gladly shine in...

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Definitely a nice rib that needs inmediate cleaning and care, for $ 300 hope there isn't any major issues with fabric, tube seams, future ungluing issues, etc. If remaining with central console will need steering wheel and helm system, remote box and cables and that adds a lot more $$$$. You can save that expense by remaining tiller control. If so, remove console, will have lots of extra space inside deck as you already are losing some available space due to rear tubes being tad extended than normal.

Happy Boating

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

I'm picking up a good running 40hp merc (late 70's) with controls and steering for $300 tomorrow morning.
All I'll be needing now is a trailer.
There's a local shop that has the fabric and the glue. For under $500 he is going to repair where the transom is unglued. 2 patches underneath where the hull meets the tubes. They're not unglued, just like a little tear about 4 or 5" long in the fabric that join the two on either side and he's going to make me a new piece along with repairing the other pieces that hold the flap that acts as a deck.
He is also going to order the kits to redo my three valves for me as well.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

looks like a good score.
I saw that on Kijiji- now I know why the guy didn't call me back -replies stopped when I asked "do you have current Ontario registration in your name"
Did you also happen to stop and look at the Avon S400 in Barrie?

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

No, I didn't see the one in Barrie.
As for the boat licensing, it was in his father's name and he signed the bill of sale for me.
No problems there!

BTW, boat licensing is federal, not provincial and boat registration is only mandatory for larger vessels, not pleasure crafts.
You probably confused the kid with that question... and trust me when I say that wouldn't be hard to do!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

registration is required in Ontario for anything with 10HP or more. but yes, it is done through Service Canada now (out of NB now I think) since a change a few years ago. I still however see all new ON boats getting a registration number beginning "ON"

54E from the old system, was originally registered in Oakville, so probably was bought new from CO2 Inflatables in Oakville.

have fun with it!

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

Copied directly from transport Canada site.

Registration is a title system for ownership of vessels. It is similar in nature to title systems used for land registry. Registration allows for name approval, mortgage registration and proof of ownership except in the case of a vessel registered in the Small Vessel Register. Every vessel other than pleasure craft must be registered.

Owners of pleasure craft not required by law to be registered may do so on a voluntary basis.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-registration-menu-2311.htm

Pleasure craft with a 10hp+ must be licensed, not registered.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

I got the motor and steering for $200
He didn't have the right controls for it but I found a set for $5
40hp merc.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

So you will end having a nice rib with console, controls, engine & general repairs for just $ 1,000, good numbers. Enjoy it.

Happy Boating