Question about woodruff key

59 evinrude

Cadet
I have a 45 hp Chrysler. It has the weird long woodruff key. Mine sheared off. I bought a new one and it has a little cardboard disc in the bag with it. What is that for?

fucawi

Banned
Re: Question about woodruff key

maybe to clean out the crankshaft cavity where the key goes ...I think this is a bad design ..if the flywheel moves the timing is lost and you stop...What I have done is fit the keyway in two parts ..remove timing ring ( marked this way up ) grind a small flat on the crankshaft .10 thou is enough and locktite the ring into place and drive a tight wedge in against your flat to lock it . Then use the top half of the key to locate the flywheel....mark flywheel positon on the nut /shaft so you can tell if it moves torque is 75 ft lb

wickware

Lieutenant

fucawi, Do you have a pic showing your process you are mentioning above? I have a 1970 35 HP Chrysler (Mod # 3555, Ser #2365), that I thought would be the same as a 45 HP Chrysler (unless they are years apert in design/age). I have not seen the need or problem that you are mentioning. I?m sure we must have different models. Correct? Please see the attachments. jow

Attachments

• 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magnieto System.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magnieto System.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magnieto System 2.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magnieto System 2.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 0

fucawi

Banned

my comments applied to battery igniton versions sorry ...you must use correct key .flywheel rotation and contacts must move in sync ......lap the flywheel and tighten to 75 ft lb if you have it slip and strip the key then all you can do is use locktite on the main taper .