Question about Welfare

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I thought there were no more Welfare people?<br /><br />I thought the max was 8 years?<br /><br />Or was there a grandfather clause that allowed those already on to stay on indefinately?<br /><br />Ken

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Question about Welfare

The way around the system is to continually have at least one household member on the dole. It works well if several members are recieving different benefits and they pool their resources. You have "welfare" and then you have a thousand other programs that may as well be welfare.<br /><br />I am all for helping someone bridge a tough time in their life so the kids are ok, but I see way to much abuse in the system.

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welfare should NOT be a way of life, but sadly it is for some people. If you grow up in a family that does not work, yet receives a check every month, what motivation do you have to get a job.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Anybody know if the limit is 8 years or if there is a grandfather clause. I cant remember when they re-did welfare.<br /><br /><br />Ken

I think they should give these poeple that are on assitants help. Put them in school to learn a trade.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Ms Mayfloat:<br /> I think they should give these poeple that are on assitants help. Put them in school to learn a trade.
Yea there Ms, they need help, and a boot up their fat arses would be the only way to get 'em up offn it. Where else in the world do the poverty stricken tip the scales at #300? Chief ;)

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SSI disability is welfare and as far as I know no limit. Agree too much abuse. Fellow I talked to today manages local food mart said a lady drives in a 2004 mercedes clk, spends 200 dollars in food stamps, drives back to work at the bank, yet his wife who is disabled is only eligable for $25 a month in food stamps and is not eligable for SSi<br />because he makes too much at his managers job.

txswinner

Banned

Sounds like someone really knows how to handle their money! Joking please do not attack.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

bydog, some people sell their food stamps for 50 cents on the dollar. Perhaps the Mercedes driver buys them from the idiots and saves enough moeny to afford the Mercedes. :D Illegal yes, dumb no.<br /><br />But I hear what you are saying.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The woman driving the MB could have been shopping for her mother or some other relation, who know's?

Twidget

Commander

After the experience I had at a job training center, the only way to end it is to require training and then decrease the benefits. <br /><br />People make more from welfare than they can with an entry level job. We trained people in office equipment repair, medical transcription and secretarial work. They would generally get job offers of $8-10 and hour and turn them down because it wasnt enough money.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Can't they at least pick up trash or SOMETHING for the handout? I agree that some folks need assistance, but don't make it a way of life. At least with SSI, you are just getting back some of the funds you put in.(Or can they draw SSI even though they never paid in?)<br />Have them work for it! I had to work so the money can be there for them.....only seems fair.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by byrdog:<br /> SSI disability is welfare
Sorry, disagree, SSI disability is insurance for which you paid premiums. If you never earned FICA wages or self-employment income, you cannot receive SSI disability (exception for children/spouse who qualify on parent/spouse work-record).<br /><br />IMHO the banker getting food stamps is most likely either a thief, an urban myth, or a foster parent of a large number of children.<br /><br />If she's buying $200 worth of food-stamp groceries I bet she's feeding a crowd.

txswinner

Banned

Welfare is interesting, for instance:<br /><br />Military Requirement: 20 years and check every month the rest of your life.<br /><br />State Job: 20 years and check the rest of your life.<br /><br />Federal Job: 20 years and check the rest of your life.<br /><br />Senate: 2 terms $15,000 per month the rest of your life.<br /><br />House of Rep: 3 terms $12,000 per month the rest of your life.<br /><br />The amount of money paid to people in this country as retirement is huge.<br /><br />Then you have the case of our last County Judge. He held himself out as right conservative small government no welfare Rep. He was retired General one star, federal check, retired college instructor, state check, and drawing $71,000 as the County Judge.<br /><br />Welfare now that is mostly in the eye of the beholder.

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SSi and Social Security are two different programs within the SSA Administration. SSI is called Title XVI, Social Security is called Title II. It is too complex to go into here but the difference as far as the U.S. Gov is concerned is that SSI is considered a "needs program" (the Goverments new term for welfare, must be politicaly correct). SSI is awarded to people who have never worked or are no longer insured from their work history. T-II is the program that workers pay premiums into fica.<br /><br /><br /> Also, a person could work for 30 years and if they did not file for disability within the insured status period, they would only be eligable for SSI, assuming they meet SSI rules.<br />Example:<br />The lady who had 25 years at a Roses dept. store retired, waited 10 years to file for disability, was told she was not insured, after 25 years of hard work. She was 58 so her retirement will be here soon though.<br /><br />Understanding Social Security from my opinion (I work in this area) is so complex it causes everyone major confusion.<br /><br />I will make this short, my retirement age was moved from age 65 to age 67 1/2 recently. Everyone should look at their date of birth and see if the retirement age has changed for them or family. Go to U.S. GOV. SSA for info.<br /><br />Good point about using the food stamps for a elderly person, people do rush to judgement.

Link

Rear Admiral

No Im not going to feed the troll.<br />But Ken what I have seen is a lot like the others have said but to answer your direct question about a time limit. Yes for many states like ours there is a time limit, but its just a joke!<br /><br />A person I know, daughter got knocked up when she was 16 and before her parents even knew about it she was already signed up on welfare.<br />She moves out and the parents take her to court to take the baby because of her life style.<br /><br />So now (the baby) is on the dole and so is her mom. Yup the kid living in a $80,000 a year income home still is on welfare so they pay no child care or medical bills..<br /><br />So what happens when her time limit is up? They put her in another "NAMED" program from the same office and the same people running it.<br /><br />16 years later in 2005 she is 32 years old and still recieves a check every month, as does her other kid (still no father) and the first who is in high school now.. yup still in the program.<br /><br />Oh Ken<br />When her car breaks down... NP they have another program that pays to fix it.<br /><br />On the other hand I know a woman who swears by the system. Her husband was killed with no insurance at all and her and her kids were almost on the streets. Lost the home car everything. Moved in with family members until she got on welfare. <br />The welfare system gave her a place to stay and paid for her training and 3 years later was on her own.<br />That is the way it should work IMO not like my first example.

txswinner

Banned

Yes it should Link. One thing that would help is to have decent paying jobs so people are better off when working than on welfare.<br /><br />Another is sterilization of mother and father if child is on welfare over about one year!!!<br /><br />Did I say that, this left wing liberal!!!??

magster65

Commander

My ex is on Welfare. She also lives in subsidized housing (nice place which costs about 25% of what a working person would pay). She quit a $20 / hr. job clearing tables on the local ferry service for no other reason other than she doesn't want to work. I work 45 hours a week but our son still lives with me and spends his day in daycare (that I pay for). I pick him up, I drop him off. She sees him about 5 days a month. It makes me mad... she is a picture perfect example of what the system should NOT support.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

My sister messed up and got pregnant in high school. She was able to graduate, but had to go on wellfare for a time until she got herself going. She went on to college and is now doing good.<br /><br />It was almost impossible for her to get off of wellfare though. Every time she would get any money saved, the case worker found out. She was told to spend the money or get kicked off wellfare. She wasn't in a position yet to do that, so she put the money in an account under me and my motehrs name. When she was able to get off the program 2 years later she had money to start with.<br /><br />I have my kids on kids connection. This states form of medicaid for children, a part of the wellfare system. I figured I have never been without a job since I was 13, working 1 full time, 1 part time and 1 temp fill in job but just can't make it. I have paid in enough to the system it is time for me to get some back.<br /><br />As soon as we are able I am getting insurance for the kids and getting off of the program. Right now there is just no way to do it. Insurance through my job for my kids is $520 a month. That is half my monthly take home.

Link

Rear Admiral

txswinner<br />ROFLOL with ya on that remark! Cant believe you said that!<br /><br />deputydawg <br />Glad to hear your sister got out of the jam.. and thats hard to do. <br />Washington state in the late 80's actually addressed that and changed the program so that someone could work and save enough to start out on their own.<br /><br />Before that is was the same situation that you described. A real no win all the way around for someone trying to better themselves.<br /><br />The medicaid for children, (we call it something different) Im all for that also. I know many people who use it.<br />My youngest daughter and husband wouldnt be able to get by without it.