question about replacing head

traben

Cadet
What gaskets do I need to replace before i put my head back on an 3.0 mercruiser?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: question about replacing head

What gaskets do I need to replace before i put my head back on an 3.0 mercruiser?

Head gasket
Intake/exhaust manifold gasket
Exhaust elbow gasket (if the elbow was separated)
Thermostat housing gasket
Thermostat cover gasket
Rocker cover gasket
Carb gasket (if carb was removed from manifold)

That's all I can think of....

traben

Cadet

I havent took the head off yet... so what are some of the things i need to do first

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I havent took the head off yet... so what are some of the things i need to do first

That would depend on why you need to remove the head....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It's certainly a straight forward and easy job - if you are familiar with engines. So forgive me for pointing out some things that may be obvious... but since I don't know how much you know.... here's some other things you will need to do the job:

1. Good torque wrench.
2. A manual showing how to adjust the lifters.
3. For the riser / elbow gasket - you will want the OEM Quicksilver gasket -- not the green paper one that comes with some gasket sets.

While you are doing the job, it is a good time to replace the spark plugs and thermostat as well.

traben

Cadet

i posted a different question about the same problem so i did a no=no here is the original problem posted here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=466603
any input would be appreciated... i am now in the process of getting head bolts out and getting the head off to take it and get it checked...