question about painting over epoxy resins

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuietRider21

Seaman
Ive decided to pull the carpet out my boat and replace with non skid product like durabak. I'm going to have to fill in a void in the deck with plywood using my west system epoxy/cloth i have sitting around. Ive read conflicting info regarding whether this epoxy can be painted over or not & I cant seem to get a solid answer. Has anyone here had success doing so? Does it need to be prepped/primed first?
thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: question about painting over epoxy resins

I know you can paint over epoxy resin with epoxy paints

and yes, any time you paint, you need to prep and prime first

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You can paint over epoxy resin with just about any kind of paint, it will need to be sanded first though.

If you're going to use Durabak follow the Durabak directions for priming.

QuietRider21

Seaman

my main concern is "blushing" of the epoxy.. I read a bit about it and they say to remove with water/brushes.. but what if it continues to blush after i apply the paint? is that even possible and would it ruin the bond between the paint & the surface?

jbcurt00

Staff member

The guys using epoxy to build the interiors of their SC tin boats here @iboats are painting it all the time.

Blush occurs when the epoxy cures. Non-blush epoxy is also available.

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Painting does not cause amine blush. Amine blush is a potential side effect of the epoxy resin curing process. Note that blush will migrate to the surface if left in place and painted over with Primekote.

West has a good page on painting over epoxy.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you try to paint over any epoxy it will cause "amine blush "
I used epoxy primer like : Epoxy Primekote Boat Primer | Interlux over this two parts primer you will be able to use any paint.
Amine blush occurs during cure, not after you paint. It may not be visible but it is often present and unless you prep & apply epoxy in 'good' conditions blush may be worse (as noted below)

From the Interlux website:
What is amine blush?

When using a solvent free epoxy resin such as Interlux Epiglass? Epoxy Resin HT9000, there are some factors you should consider before overcoating with a primer. After application and during the curing (drying) process, the epoxy releases a blush to the surface called ?Amine Blush?. This blush is known to appear as a ?wax-like? film that sits on the surface of the cured epoxy resin. This amine blush will in fact keep some subsequent products applied from fully curing, performing correctly and also yellowing unless removed properly. The visibility of the blush will be determined by the moisture in the air during the curing process, however will still be on the surface if not always visible. The best way to reduce blushing is to work in warm temperatures (the epoxy sets up fast, reducing the blush window) and with humidity at low levels. It would be best to avoid conditions where moisture is coming out of the air as temperatures fall.

How to remove it?

Interlux recommends thoroughly washing the cured epoxy with clean warm water, all-purpose soap, and a stiff brush or Scotch-Brite? pad. The amine blush is water soluble therefore the only way to completely remove this is by following the instructions above. You will want to clean the amine blush off of the epoxy before sanding as well. If you begin to sand before removing the amine blush, you may sand the blush deeper into the surface making it much harder to remove. It is a safe practice to clean all types of epoxy resin, even if the label states that it is ?amine blush free? or ?no blush formula?. Please note: Aggressive solvents like Acetone will not remove the blush.

What will it do to my project?

If amine blush is present on the surface and is not properly removed, you might not notice a problem with your project until after it is completed. If you use a single-part primer such as Interlux Pre-Kote and do not remove the amine blush, the blush will migrate through the Pre-Kote to the top of the surface causing the Brightside? single-part polyurethane finish to improperly cure from the contaminated areas. It could also lead to detachment of both primer and finish. For a more robust solution, Interlux recommends a two-part primer such as Epoxy Primekote? Y404KIT to seal the amine blush from penetrating through the coating. Some epoxy resins can take up to 2 weeks to fully cure, still releasing amine blush to the surface. Epoxy Primekote? Y404KIT will keep that new amine blush from penetrating through the coating to the top of the surface. However, this doesn?t mean you do not have to remove the amine blush from the epoxy resin before applying Y404KIT. If the blush is present, as you roll or brush the Epoxy Primekote? Y404KIT over the cured epoxy resin (with blush on the surface) the amine blush can mix into the Y404KIT as it is being applied causing that blush to sit at the top of the surface. When applying Perfection? to a surface with amine blush on the area, the Perfection in certain colors can also ?yellow? prematurely. In summary, always remove surface contamination, including amine blush, to avoid any problems with adhesion, drying or discoloring. After washing the epoxy surface, leave to dry prior to applying subsequent coatings

And here's a pdf from DOW about it.
View attachment Amine Blush.pdf
All this info is readily available on the internet.

Proper paint prep is always important, no more so over epoxy then other substrates.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you try to paint over any epoxy it will cause "amine blush "
I used epoxy primer like : Epoxy Primekote Boat Primer | Interlux
over this two parts primer you will be able to use any paint.
Simply from my experience rebuilding boats I learn that any paint except epoxy primer or two parts epoxy paint,will allowed blush to creep out and form yellow spots.
When I use Epoxy Primekote ,even shortly after epoxy cured ,never had that problem....

jbcurt00

Staff member

Then the blush was there before you painted, diesel, perhaps unseen, and as noted by both DOW & Interlux, if it's not removed before paint, it will cause problems w/ the paint. Otherwise the environment was warm & dry enough to prevent blush entirely when you painted w PrimeKote.

You don't mention how you prep epoxy before PrimeKote or other paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.